Using a GTAx400 at the beach - false signals

James57

Jan 15, 2006
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Detectorpro Headhunter PI
I actually bought the metal detector for relic hunting and general purpose, but I would like to use it at beaches too. I found that it is producing false signals when I use it with the 8.5" Crossfire coil. I get the false signals, even if I turn the depth setting way down. I tried my 10"x14" power DD coil and it works fine at saltwater and freshwater beaches. I have the depth turned up to maximum with that coil and it is very stable.

Is this normal behavior for this model of detector at a beach? The power DD coil is made for mineralized soil. My main concern is that the target ID does not seem to be very accurate with the DD coil.

Upvote 0

neilo

Aug 23, 2005
The cross fire coil is concentric and is more prone to interference in salty mineralised conditions, than the double d coil.You could try lifting the coil higher off of the ground but you will have to make sure you swing slow and keep your coil at a consistent hieght off of the ground as you swing. Your target depth guage will differ due to size of coil,the smaller the coil the deeper the targets will show.good luck with your finds
seeya Neilo ;D

willie d

Silver Member
Jul 13, 2005
Close enough to the beach
Detector(s) used
**Tesoro Tiger Shark** Tesoro Silver Umax** Minelab Sov Gt w/WOT coil** Whites 6000Di Pro SL**
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jam, I have the 10x14 coil on my GTAx 400 also. Whenever I searched the beach I only had problems near the wet sand. Other than that, I can't remember any problems other than too many beer caps ;D

OP
OP
J

James57

Jan 15, 2006
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Detectorpro Headhunter PI
Hi, thanks! The 8.5" Crossfire coil does seem sensitive to height when I use it at the beach. I tend to get the false signals at the end and the middle of my swing. The 10x14 DD is more forgiving. I used the 10x14 coil at a couple of saltwater beaches this weekend and I was finding a lot of stuff but nothing too interesting. One beach was a local one and I found a lot of trashy objects. The other gets a lot of people visiting, but it is pretty heavily searched. I did find a broken silver pendant or earring at the second beach but not much else. I think that I'll stick with the 10x14 DD for beaches. It seems sensitive enough, one of those aluminum pull tabs was a good 8" under the sand.

Wet sand is still a bit of a problem, but it is OK if the tide has been out for a while. I attached my weekend finds minus the bottle caps, pop cans, and the iron bar.

Attachments

• Mar19_finds.jpg
    Mar19_finds.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 154

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread