using a hammer for crusher

Aufisher

Bronze Member
May 12, 2013
The Golden State
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster V/SAT. VibraProbe. Bazooka 48" Prospector Sluice. Shorts. Chickens + Goats + Goldhounds. 35' Chris Craft Caribbean motorsailer. FISH OIL + BURLAP
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Use a capped pipe inside another larger one

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Using a hammer is a good way to loose your gold as there is no way to contain the flying chips.

A cylinder (3" diameter exhaust pipe) attached to a base. Then use a length of pipe with a cap on the end as your hammer (ram rod)
The gold then stays contained in the cylinder until you dump it into your gold pan to pan it out.

oresmasher.jpg

GG~

Last edited:

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is a photo of a pipe in a pipe rock crusher like AUFISHER suggested that Drywallman made :icon_thumleft:
You could also use black pipe instead of galvanized because it cost less and wont flake off.
image-213627771.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
chevyman75

chevyman75

Dec 22, 2013
clarion, pa
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter discovery 1100
discovery 3000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks fella's. How much would one cost to make Estimated.

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks fella's. How much would one cost to make Estimated.

Depends on how good a scavenger you are, could be free. Or you could spend $20-$30 if you had to buy everything.

Go to Home Depot or Lowes and price out the parts.

Last edited:

timberjack

Sep 29, 2013
New Hampshire
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I took a piece of 4 inch pipe with 1/4 inch wall that was 8 inches long and welded it too a 1/2 inch base plate. I like this set up because it is very stable. I use a 2 inch diameter by 2 foot long rod for the crushing (hydraulic cylinder rod). This unit is fairly heavy so not something you would pack to far in the field but it is very durable and with its mass crushes pretty well.
When I started using this unit I was getting shiny metallic prices in almost every pan from all different types of samples..took me a minute to look at the end of my crusher rod and realize chips of metal were flaking off the rod

golden sluice

Dec 16, 2013
next to disneyland
Detector(s) used
Thanks Kellyco, and Garrett:smile:... I love my AT gold metal detector!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hello, you could forget the hammer thing and You could make a chain wheel with a hand crank... it could whip the rocks into rubble inside a box or container. Loud and messy though.

OP
OP
chevyman75

chevyman75

Dec 22, 2013
clarion, pa
Detector(s) used
discovery 3000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for all the help when i get one built ill post it

OP
OP
chevyman75

chevyman75

Dec 22, 2013
clarion, pa
Detector(s) used
discovery 3000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Golden sluice can you post some pictures of the hand crank rock crusher? I looked online but cant find and crushers other then big ones and none are hand crank. I would like to get an idea and maybe build one... Thanks

jair

Sep 6, 2013
Las Vegas
Detector(s) used
Whites and cheep bounty hunter
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I took a piece of 4 inch pipe with 1/4 inch wall that was 8 inches long and welded it too a 1/2 inch base plate. I like this set up because it is very stable. I use a 2 inch diameter by 2 foot long rod for the crushing (hydraulic cylinder rod). This unit is fairly heavy so not something you would pack to far in the field but it is very durable and with its mass crushes pretty well. When I started using this unit I was getting shiny metallic prices in almost every pan from all different types of samples..took me a minute to look at the end of my crusher rod and realize chips of metal were flaking off the rod
sounds Ike mine .
If a pipe is used cap both ends and add lead in to it . Fishing weights will work .
Makes less effort to brake the rocks .

wilfndgold

Aug 29, 2013
perris, ca
Detector(s) used
garret
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im even more getto I made a shield out of cardboard and just use mini sledge sux but it works. always were glasses

dave wiseman

Jul 23, 2004
Angels Camp,Ca.
Slide a piece of inner tube over whatever your using as a pestle to the lip of the pipe and hold it there when your moving the pestle up and down.Nothing will fly out.Get an old car/truck axle and have a steel ball welded on the end.If your handy or have a friend who is you can build a small impact mill that powders up the quartz.

Last edited:

Randyd

Mar 8, 2011
Kalifornia
For the crusher/hammer part, an axle like mentioned above works well and doesn't flake. It is heavy and you don't have work so hard to slam it down.
For small stuff I used to use a piece of 3 1/2" round stock. It was heavy!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions