Using a pinpointer?

DanWho

Feb 16, 2016
IOWA
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500 Garrett Infinium and
Whites Eagle II S (yes its older than some of the young'uns here)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Plenty of people use pinpointers prospecting. About the only problem I've ever read about is interference some types give with various prospecting metal detectors.

TrinityBigfoot

Aug 20, 2012
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, Gold Bug II, Whites TRX Pointpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have used my pinpointer. It helps quickly find trash. I use an GoldBug 2 and an Whites TRX.

Hamfist

Aug 1, 2014
SoCal
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Whippet, 151, GH, shovel, brain
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
It's not a bad idea. If you're in an area with lots of trash, it could save you some time. I don't usually use mine while prospecting since it's easier for me to run a scoop of dirt over the coil and keep halving it until I see my target. I do have two different pinpointers and both begin to sense a .1g target at about a half inch in air tests. Shape and orientation of the target in the ground plays a role too. Pinpointers work better for larger objects like coins or relics, in my opinion.

meMiner

Bronze Member
Jul 22, 2014
Port Perry, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Minelab 800,
Fisher CZ21, F75SE, Gold Bug 2.9 & Minelab GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I carry a pin pointer. Awfully handy, especially in holes that are deep and narrow where the coil does not fit.

OP
OP
D

DanWho

Feb 16, 2016
IOWA
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500 Garrett Infinium and
Whites Eagle II S (yes its older than some of the young'uns here)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been watching videos on youtube and have not seen any of them using a pinpointer while hunting, that's why I was wondering. I would have thought that it would be helpful but then with no experience, its all guesses.

meMiner

Bronze Member
Jul 22, 2014
Port Perry, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Minelab 800,
Fisher CZ21, F75SE, Gold Bug 2.9 & Minelab GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Or they don't want to give away all their secrets, especially the ones that make them effective. LOL

GreyGhost

Feb 14, 2010
AZ
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Pinpointers are great. I didn't use one for a long time but after I got the GPZ I started to dig some REALLY deep holes. It was getting hard to stick that big 14" coil down in them to try and locate where the target was. Now when the hole gets too deep I just take out the pinpointer and poke it in there and I can usually find what I'm after. Saves a lot of time.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread