Using a Proton 4

OldGold74

Jul 12, 2008
Detector(s) used
Minelab/Fisher/Aquapulse
Has anyone got extensive experience using a P4 out there, Ive been using one for a while and trying to validate readings, going by Fishers manual doesnt add up most likely because of my location, the fish is tuned and calibrated for certain, ive tested it on land and ts good, in water running over an 18th C iron anchor 13 feet long 30 feet away at most I get 150 - 350 Gamma change, sound right?

GOHO

Apr 13, 2008
If you are getting a reading when you cross over iron then sounds like your mag is working. The size of your "Gamma" or nt that you get from your target is dependent on ...

1. How far away you are from your target
2. The Proton 4 sensitivity
3. Cycle rate
4. tow speed

Some mags will get higher readings on same object just because its a more sensitive sensor. The 9' shank anchor that i magged using the cesium gave me around 800 to 1000 nt or gamma....

Does the Proton 4 record using a computer or is it analog?

OP
OP
O

OldGold74

Jul 12, 2008
Detector(s) used
Minelab/Fisher/Aquapulse
Thanks Goho, it is computer, I understand all your points, was trying to make a comparison if any one else had used proton instead of cesium and the gamma change they had, i know the mag works well my gamma readings change depending on where i am target remains same for example known cannon and anchors 2500 gamma change, then over 7000 gamma change with several smaller 3600 , 2400 etc bouncing around not climbing or dropping to the target no cables or modern wreckage deep water. Then consistent elsewhere 30 miles from land. So was looking for a simple comparison, on the anchor I was using it changes west east then east west could be the effect from rock in the cliff face west east only going towards target. thanks

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread