Using Army Shovels for digging?

mdmike

Nov 4, 2004
Was just curious as to the use of army shovels for metal detecting digging. i guess im cheap so ive been using army shovels for the last 30 years. Granted, ive gone thru a lot of US shovels as well as one 1960s German shovel. I can see why they have lots of neat shovels out there; hopefully they are way more durable! Luckly ive always had a spare or back up shovel in case the one i was using broke. Hate to say it, but they really are kind of crappy, and the German shovel was the best, but it finally crapped out too. The wooden handled ones would usually break at the handle first. Then usually they crack near the bracket on the spade.

The current issue US shovel is really junk. NOW!, why don't they ask us how to design a shovel and also use us for testing! Here's a picture of the current shovel, or more recent all metal shovel. The first thing that broke were the rivets on the folding points. That was way early on; like god for bid you needed to use it. Then the handle broke a couple years ago ... i didnt have a spare, so i modified it like crazy to beef it up. Two things im not happy with... the shovel is too stiff and kills your hands, so i added a rubber hose over the handle to take shock. Secondly, the spade is too pointy. the German shovel was much better for root chopping; less point and thinner material. This point just seems to just bounce off and not cut thru. Not sure what going to break next, but time will tell.

Attachments

• shovel.jpg
    shovel.jpg
    151.9 KB · Views: 40

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My Ames entrenching tool is dated 1942 and has held up to more than 30 years of relic hunting use. the thing in your pic looks like an off shore knock off. View attachment 2019144
Any idea how much that weighs. I am looking for a small shovel but don’t want to carry a lot of extra weight. Looking at Lesche 31 inch digger which weighs 1.75 pounds but would go with something else if it was lighter.

ticndig

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2009
Cumberland Va
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T-2-SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
google say it weighs 29 3/4 oz . keep in mind my shovel is now 80 years old and if you do find one it's likely to cost more than the 15 bucks I paid back more than 30 years ago. one from Vietnam war should be easier to find . don't waste your time on modern look a likes.

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
google say it weighs 29 3/4 oz . keep in mind my shovel is now 80 years old and if you do find one it's likely to cost more than the 15 bucks I paid back more than 30 years ago. one from Vietnam war should be easier to find . don't waste your time on modern look a likes.

Thanks. We have an army surplus store nearby, I may take a look there and see what they have. I currently have a short Lesche digger that I really like but a little less bending and something to steady me on my way up would be good.

Ed_DE

Feb 23, 2019
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The only reason why I use a folding spade for metal detecting is because it folds up and fits into my backpack real easy. I purchased the Gerber E-Tool folding spade, serrated edge in 2018 and put it thru a lot of hard use. It has a stainless steel blade. Weight is 2.55 pounds & is extremely durable.

Attachments

• IMG_0710.jpeg
    IMG_0710.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 43
  • IMG_0711 2.jpeg
    IMG_0711 2.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 40
  • IMG_0712.jpeg
    IMG_0712.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 42

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I actually use three tools. A Lesche #85 trowel. A Predator Hercules (36" ball handled relic shovel). And the third is a Milwaukee folding jab-saw handle for a replaceable sawzall type blade. I use a pruning blade or a "all purpose demolition" blade. I'd hate to be chopping at roots with a shovel and damage a target. So I use the saw to remove the roots.

48-22-0305_gk80jwtxevotmkn3.jpg

VaGent

Apr 20, 2021
Central Virginia
Detector(s) used
Currently Deus XP, also have 2 Minelab Explorer XS as backups.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have been using the same Ames 1967 US army shovel for over 30 years. Its the heavy type with the pickaxe; I cut the pick off but the extra weight from where the pick swivel is, really helps keep the whole head firm and also helps when chopping roots/sod. The handle slips right into the hammer loop on my gear belt; never could figure out how the guys who use the Tee handle shovels stow theirs... never had any problems with the wood. I do sharpen the blade with a file every 4-5 hunts, and I do keep it locked straight, not at a 90.

Attachments

• SAM_0123.JPG
    SAM_0123.JPG
    771.6 KB · Views: 26

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I ended up buying the Lesche.
I used to use a army shovel . It seems the older i get the longer a shovel I need 1!!
Yes. I ended up going with the 31” Lesche. Sort of a digger and sort of a cane.

LandSeig

May 16, 2020
Southeast Tx
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, NEL Storm coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I actually use three tools. A Lesche #85 trowel. A Predator Hercules (36" ball handled relic shovel). And the third is a Milwaukee folding jab-saw handle for a replaceable sawzall type blade. I use a pruning blade or a "all purpose demolition" blade. I'd hate to be chopping at roots with a shovel and damage a target. So I use the saw to remove the roots.

48-22-0305_gk80jwtxevotmkn3.jpg
I really like the saw idea.

LandSeig

May 16, 2020
Southeast Tx
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, NEL Storm coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been using the same Ames 1967 US army shovel for over 30 years. Its the heavy type with the pickaxe; I cut the pick off but the extra weight from where the pick swivel is, really helps keep the whole head firm and also helps when chopping roots/sod. The handle slips right into the hammer loop on my gear belt; never could figure out how the guys who use the Tee handle shovels stow theirs... never had any problems with the wood. I do sharpen the blade with a file every 4-5 hunts, and I do keep it locked straight, not at a 90.
I really like your rig with the harness setup, you just need a couple of pouches for you grenades and mags lol

VaGent

Apr 20, 2021
Central Virginia
Detector(s) used
Currently Deus XP, also have 2 Minelab Explorer XS as backups.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I really like your rig with the harness setup, you just need a couple of pouches for you grenades and mags lol
I carry two mag pouches, one for found keepers and one for TP, compass, etc. Also a canteen carrier in the back that I dump trash in (shotgun shells, bottle caps, , or whatever else will fit).

Florida Finder

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2020
Southern States of America
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Was just curious as to the use of army shovels for metal detecting digging. i guess im cheap so ive been using army shovels for the last 30 years. Granted, ive gone thru a lot of US shovels as well as one 1960s German shovel. I can see why they have lots of neat shovels out there; hopefully they are way more durable! Luckly ive always had a spare or back up shovel in case the one i was using broke. Hate to say it, but they really are kind of crappy, and the German shovel was the best, but it finally crapped out too. The wooden handled ones would usually break at the handle first. Then usually they crack near the bracket on the spade.

The current issue US shovel is really junk. NOW!, why don't they ask us how to design a shovel and also use us for testing! Here's a picture of the current shovel, or more recent all metal shovel. The first thing that broke were the rivets on the folding points. That was way early on; like god for bid you needed to use it. Then the handle broke a couple years ago ... i didnt have a spare, so i modified it like crazy to beef it up. Two things im not happy with... the shovel is too stiff and kills your hands, so i added a rubber hose over the handle to take shock. Secondly, the spade is too pointy. the German shovel was much better for root chopping; less point and thinner material. This point just seems to just bounce off and not cut thru. Not sure what going to break next, but time will tell.
Hello Mike. I thought I must be the only one in the world using an old army shovel. Mine is dated 1945 and has helped me recover relics for the last 8 years. Happy Hunting to you Mike.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread