Using CTX 3030 Underwater--Any Precautions You Can Share?

califteacher

Sep 30, 2012
Vista, San Diego County, CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX3030 and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
This may sound silly, but I am a bit nervous about using my CTX 3030 completely underwater at the beach. As the weather gets warmer, I would like to use my CTX 3030 in the surf, as deep as I can manage--chest to shoulder high (I am 6'5"). I was wondering if any of those who have used the CTX completely underwater have any thoughts or suggestions. I am trying to imagine the damage that would be done to this expensive detector if water got in the wrong place. In another thread, someone mentioned buying silicone grease for the plastic seal of their battery compartment (on another model detector), but it seems like anything of this sort would end up attracting dry sand later and eventually doing more harm than good. I would like the benefit of your colllected knowledge before I do something dumb. By the way, I do have the Gray Ghost waterproof Headphones designed for the CTX 3030, so that is covered. Thank you for your feedback.

Upvote 0

Beach Papa

Apr 25, 2012
East Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark VLF
Whites Dual Field PI
CTX 3030
Aquasound (custom made)
Primary Interest:
Minelab.com has some good videos on the CTX 3030. The "Go Detecting Anywhere with the CTX 3030" video has all the tips needed to keep the guts dry in the water. Go detecting anywhere with the CTX 3030 | Minelab Videos Follow the guidance and you will be fine in the water. Beach Papa

mham2

Jan 12, 2009
massillon,ohio/bradenton florida
Detector(s) used
minelab/excalibur 11, minelab ctx 3030
Primary Interest:
I have had mine completely under water, no problem. I do use a thin layer of silicon grease on o ring for battery case. I have always done this with my excal and still do.I think after being in salt water you should take a little extra care on the clean up.rinse well and wipe down also after everything is dry I take the batt off , disconnect my grey ghost headphones and remove USB cap inspect and wipe down. Everything has always looked good

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
I have seen a few issues with the carbon fiber and the handle but I'm not sure if they are related to deep water hunting. I do know this and this came from a CTX hunter I know, He said he was unsure of the depth issue in ruff waters. His thing was ruffer water creates more water pressure, there for the deeper you go the water pressure is doubled on each wave.

How you like those GGUW's? Have several who have complained about the audio quality.

Samuelljackson

Dec 4, 2012
Fl
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II, CTX3030, Propointer, Vibrabrobe, stealth scoop.
Primary Interest:
May I also recommend using silicone grease on the seal. I also like to use a strip of electrical tape on seam after joining the battery to the housing, this will help keep sand from being attracted to the grease., I like to wrap around the clamps to prevent accidentally knocking one loose. Also I'd use the alkaline battery pack if your getting in the water to be safe.

mham2

Jan 12, 2009
massillon,ohio/bradenton florida
Detector(s) used
minelab/excalibur 11, minelab ctx 3030
Primary Interest:
I should add, if I'm going to be in over waist deep I will be useing my excal.it's just easy and after you can't read the screen what's the point of having it

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wear google(s) so you can read the meter, when it goes under water.
With heavy lead belt, reading light, an emergency air bottle, you should be able to sit down at the bottom of the sea, and scroll thru the menu.
LOL

gsxraddict

Sep 21, 2005
Resaca, GA
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox 800, Whites V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I'll be doing the same, but I'm a bit nervous to put this machine in the water. I'll do it though, I watched the video about 5 times to make sure I won't forget any steps.

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another suggestion.... make sure you batteries are up to power, you dont want to have to take that thing apart on a sandy beach. Mham2.... now there is a smart man. If you plan on dunking it.... grab a true water machine.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would also suggest to cover the holes in the shaft and the lock buttons with duct tape to keep sand out of the shaft so you can adjust it later if needed. Nothing wrong with using a thin coating of Silicone Grease to the O rings. Wipe off any that you see on the outside.

Jackalope

Jun 27, 2009
Oahu, HI
Detector(s) used
White's, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
*** Also I'd use the alkaline battery pack if your getting in the water to be safe***

Hadn't thought of that option (using battery pack) and that is a great way to be extra safe. Should the battery compartment leak after all precautions (silicon grease, waterproof taping) then you haven't damaged anything important (hopefully). The internal workings are sealed - the only way it could be damaged further is if the male electrode ends short out and melts the plastic battery housing.

Bejamble

Oct 2, 2013
Guam
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Excal II, Fisher 1280X, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have read several people put those silicone bracelets around the latches on the battery just in case you were to accidentally unlatch it under water. I think that was one of the best tips I seen. :)

Cory

cdv1

Jun 29, 2011
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Over 200 hours underwater, no leaks BUT no big waves that I've been in here in the Gulf.
I never use silicone grease, I do use a wide rubber band or piece of innertube to cover the battery clips and to slow any sand infiltration.

DO hose it off when done in the salt.
Do dry it or let it drip dry and then remove the battery to ensure it hasn't leaked.....while you have it off, charge it and rinse off the red seal and dry.
Do take an air can (or a small artists paint brush) to clean the groove where the seal goes.
I check the USB port about every third trip in the water. Sand will infiltrate the cap due to the thread configuration. Clean the threads on both the cap and jack... and re-install the cap. Tightly!
Put the seal back in then the battery when charged. There is a flat side of the seal that is supposed to be towards the coil. I have had it in both ways with NO leakage.

My Excal is lonely....

Cliff

Last edited:

Bejamble

Oct 2, 2013
Guam
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ironic I gave advice in the battery compartment and then my USB port floods out today rendering my CTX inoperable. Going to have to send it back.

Cory

Jackalope

Jun 27, 2009
Oahu, HI
Detector(s) used
White's, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Bejamble, did your USB port leak despite using silicone grease or teflon tape to keep it water tight? Did you isolate the problem?

cdv1

Jun 29, 2011
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Bejamble, did your USB port leak despite using silicone grease or teflon tape to keep it water tight? Did you isolate the problem?

Teflon tape and/or silicon grease on the threads won't seal the USB port due to the jack shape (In my opinion). The actual sealing surface appears to be inside the cap, you need to have clean threads, don't cross thread the fine threads and make it tight enough so the rubber seal inside the cap seals against the flat surface on the jack. I've attached some pictures which you can see an impression of the USB port on the rubber seal....also you can see the jack threads are not continuous around the circumferance of the jack.
Cliff

Attachments

• 2013-11-17 13.24.15.jpg
    2013-11-17 13.24.15.jpg
    801 KB · Views: 139
  • 2013-11-17 13.24.02.jpg
    2013-11-17 13.24.02.jpg
    863.2 KB · Views: 185

Bejamble

Oct 2, 2013
Guam
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cdv is dead on here, the port needs a redesign to improve the water tight integrity. I let the machine sit overnight and looks like it is working normal, just have to watch it for now.

Cory

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glad it's working Cory since I was one who recommended the CTX. I would apply a very small amount of diver silicone to flat rubber washer inside cap, but not the thread, that will attract sand. That is a straight thread and is not designed to seal water out, the flat rubber washer does the sealing.

Last edited:

Bejamble

Oct 2, 2013
Guam
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, I noticed the only sealing is done in the cap and not in the threads. If you ask me it's poorly designed. I'm scared to turn down the cap too hard as it could twist the port and possibly do damage inside. It does need to be tight though and a very thin coat of silicone may do the trick. I would like to do something to seal it up properly though. If I wasn't concerned with the warranty, I would stick a in cord in there and permanently seal it with a cord in the plug and then make my own sealed cap on the other end. Since it's still under warranty, I won't be doing that. I'm leery to submerge it again to be honest. If I go during low tide I can go out about 100-200 yards without submerging the control unit. That is far enough to dig around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread