Silver Member
Oct 13, 2007
Vicksburg Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Minelab Explorer II, Exterra 30, Fisher CZ-21, and CZ-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have shared this in the past but would like to share again for those who may not have seen it.
I found a small sterling ring yesterday morning in a lake. It is from the 40's or 50's. When silver is lost in the water it turns black. If it has been there a long time it develops a black crust like this one.
Below you will see the before, during, and after affects of using the electrolosis. I plan to put together a video of do a live talk at our detecting club next month on the subject.

Attachments

• DSC01271.JPG
    DSC01271.JPG
    41.1 KB · Views: 205
  • DSC01272.JPG
    DSC01272.JPG
    39.8 KB · Views: 204
  • DSC01273.JPG
    DSC01273.JPG
    38.7 KB · Views: 203
Mike that is amazing! I used electroylsis when I worked for a military contractor, to clean circuit boards to remove solder flux. I've always wanted to try that with jewelry and relics.

ffd

awesome!....great pics too! that ring looks beautiful, congrats on finding that! any chance you can post the video? I'd like to learn more about it too, have never tried it.

Great pics Mike! I have 35 years of stuff that I need to 'Git Done'. I have posted my first real attempt at electrolysis in the post after yours. Headin' out bright an 'early in the moanin'.

Wow, nice clean up Mike. :icon_thumright: How long did you have it in?

HH

postalgriff said:
awesome!....great pics too! that ring looks beautiful, congrats on finding that! any chance you can post the video? I'd like to learn more about it too, have never tried it.

I will try to do just that! :) Got to find me another crusty soon to do it with! :)

Mike

Michiganne said:
Wow, nice clean up Mike. :icon_thumright: How long did you have it in?

HH

Maybe 40 minutes total.

Sweet before and after pics Mike. That baby cleaned up nice!! WTG :thumbsup:

Mike from MI said:
I have shared this in the past but would like to share again for those who may not have seen it.
I found a small sterling ring yesterday morning in a lake. It is from the 40's or 50's. When silver is lost in the water it turns black. If it has been there a long time it develops a black crust like this one.
Below you will see the before, during, and after affects of using the electrolosis. I plan to put together a video of do a live talk at our detecting club next month on the subject.

Kill 2 birds with one stone! Do the demo at the club and video it.

Steve :-)

Hi I have tried electrolysis and it seems that every transformer I try burns out and I have resorted to using a car battery and a charger to get the job done. What am I doing wrong? I use a quart glass jar some sea salt some lemon juice and a stainless spoon and after about 30 seconds the transformer burns out. When I use the car battery and the charger the charger bumps up about 2-3 amps. I have not seen a transformer that puts out that much current. One transformer I used was rated at 1 amp and weighed about 1 1/2 pounds it only lasted about 45 seconds and almost started on fire. I have allways made sure that the item and the spoon never touched. Am I using too much salt and increasing the conductivity of the water too much? I do know that a penny will be cleaned in about 15 seconds using the battery and charger set up.

The Recovery Agents said:
Hi I have tried electrolysis and it seems that every transformer I try burns out and I have resorted to using a car battery and a charger to get the job done. What am I doing wrong? I use a quart glass jar some sea salt some lemon juice and a stainless spoon and after about 30 seconds the transformer burns out. When I use the car battery and the charger the charger bumps up about 2-3 amps. I have not seen a transformer that puts out that much current. One transformer I used was rated at 1 amp and weighed about 1 1/2 pounds it only lasted about 45 seconds and almost started on fire. I have allways made sure that the item and the spoon never touched. Am I using too much salt and increasing the conductivity of the water too much? I do know that a penny will be cleaned in about 15 seconds using the battery and charger set up.

You can somewhat control the amount of current by the distance between the electrodes, but also by how conductive you make the solution. Most tap water will already be conductive so you really don't have to add much salt or acid (lemon juice)
You don't want the process to be real fast or it will pit the item being cleaned.

I would try just plain water with the electrodes on opposite sides of the container. If the item being cleaned starts bubbling its working. If if doesn't then either move the electrodes closer together or add a conductor to the solution.

Steve :-)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back