Bronze Member
Apr 13, 2013
N.E. Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, NOX 600, XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ted
i like that ship very much,is that a pin on ?
Real nice finds cross looks old .
Gary
Thanks Gary, the boat has is a pin on....almost threw it out, thought it was just a scrap piece of copper. I think the cross is old as well....i live on the same property my great grandparents bought in the late 1800's, hoping it was my great grandmothers....they were very religious

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
cool finds, the pitch is good too dont dig a whole lot of nails but either way 2 tones or pitch I think we are on to something that will get the goodies out of the iron.

Joe hunter

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2013
Up state NY
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus ,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I failed at my first 2tone try but it was a very weak effort.I only dug two signals (junk)went back to full tones .I only had 4 hrs and didn't set up last night so I stuck with what I know.Anyway I got my first standing liberty ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1505086554.693176.jpg of course no date.an 1892 Indian ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1505086695.145082.jpg and lots of misc stuff ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1505086754.154557.jpg full tones is pretty good at pulling things in iron or even part of iron ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1505086859.642933.jpg ill give it a better try next time

OP
OP
Tedyoh

Tedyoh

Bronze Member
Apr 13, 2013
N.E. Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah I'd hit a spot, very hard, many times in full tones, then finally in 2 tones or pitch. The only SLQ I found actually had a date.

Last edited:

HuntinDog

Bronze Member
May 26, 2010
No. Cal.
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS / MXT PRO / Garrett ProPointer
Tedyoh,
Which program do you think works better as your starter program?? Deep or Swifter.

On another note... I found a pin back ship awhile back too and though it was crumpled brass too.

Attachments

• IMG_6786.JPG
    IMG_6786.JPG
    87.3 KB · Views: 56
OP
OP
Tedyoh

Tedyoh

Bronze Member
Apr 13, 2013
N.E. Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tedyoh,
Which program do you think works better as your starter program?? Deep or Swifter.

On another note... I found a pin back ship awhile back too and though it was crumpled brass too.

I actually have them both set up, Deep and Gary Sifter - I use the deep once I get out of the heavy iron, I always start in the heavy iron with 2 tone sifter and circle my way out, then criss cross my way back in once I lose targets outside the iron perimeter. The ship, drawer pull, cross and wheat I was using the Deep 2 tone. I did not find anything where the barn once was. (was using sifter there)

Bharpring

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2016
Savannah, GA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus HF coils, Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like pitch tones using Dues Fast program (has V4 silencer filters), but do you set iron volume at 0 or 3? I like hearing the iron low tone for information.

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just got back from PA, old homesite I've been to at least 10 times using full tones no disc or notch, machine gun sounding iron in full tones....2 tones works with notch....before digging I re tested with full tones and heard nothing but nails, I think notching the iron and using 2 tones, just let's that little bit of non ferrous take priority in the processing and audio...although nothing ground breaking I did get an 1864 and 65 IHP's, couple pocket knives, lantern parts, suspender clips, other odds and ends and a really nice tiny crotal bell that's not broke and still works...im telling you try it in your "hunted out" heavy iron old homesites....oh yeah the weeds are still bad there and I could only detect about 1/8 of the area....cant wait till Spring! Also a side note, I ran the HF coil at 28 kHz at the same site in full tones for about a half hour and it looks promising as well....
3be2b64881ec1d0b4e75a4a130bcb242.jpg

I think I have just the site to try that out on soon.

Could you please write out the settings you used? Your original post is rather vague, and there have since been a few other suggestions.

OP
OP
Tedyoh

Tedyoh

Bronze Member
Apr 13, 2013
N.E. Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like pitch tones using Dues Fast program (has V4 silencer filters), but do you set iron volume at 0 or 3? I like hearing the iron low tone for information.

I turn off the iron volume......my thinking it's one less thing the controller and coil has to process to let that little non ferrous blip come through - again the main thing here is you need tone + a VDI number to dig.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Tedyoh

Tedyoh

Bronze Member
Apr 13, 2013
N.E. Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think I have just the site to try that out on soon.

Could you please write out the settings you used? Your original post is rather vague, and there have since been a few other suggestions.

I have two, 2 tone programs set up..... the first is Garys Sifter Program (you can find these settings on a google search which I think will take you to XP's web site) - I use this program in PA, reason being there is massive amounts of shale in this area and targets are rarely deeper than 5 - 6 inches, so when the iron and non ferrous are so close to the surface and close together, the shallow / mild settings in this program don't overload the iron in your headphones.

The second is the XP factory "Deep" program - only things I edit in both programs are;

Iron Volume off

Tones - 2 tone

Then to notch, go into expert and notch 0 - 25 (if you apply notch in the non expert field it will raise your discrimination to 25)

Ground Balance - Tracking (then in expert I apply ground notch to 83 for hot rocks, if you don't have H.R.'s no need to apply G.N. unless you are falsing for another reason)

Also I prefer 12 kHz over 18 kHz, you get a tad more depth in 12, I have the HF coil I will use and run these programs in 28 kHz in the Spring

The stuff I found in PA I was using Garys Sifter, the stuff I found in my yard in OH, which were deeper, I was using Deep

Again, you have to have tone + a VDI over 25 to dig, if not it'll be iron or nails......I'm not sure why these programs give tone but no VDI with notch set to 25, it's like the notch is only notching the VDI number and not the tone. I though notch would notch both tone and VDI number but I'm finding this is not the case.......that's why I'm saying it again (which goes what "normally" not to do with the Deus) - you must have tone and VDI over 25 to dig.

Also one last point I'll say again, this is a relic program, you will dig way to much junk using these in a modern trash area or park.......unless you make tone + a VDI over 80 a dig target

Last edited:

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OK, I do use Sifter. I think it is Fulltones by Gary's design but I use it in three tone mode.

Joe hunter

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2013
Up state NY
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus ,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tedyoh I dug a few signals on Sunday in two tones they were iron that's why I didn't give it a fair shake .now after reading your post I see my errors.I always use iron volume and seldom use vdi .i will try it again at the same site.Thank you for your advice and time.if it pans out there may be a Christmas dinner invite for you.

Bharpring

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2016
Savannah, GA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok, so you don't think setting the Iron Vol at 1 will unmask more non ferrous targets? Calabash Digger mentioned that he uses Iron Vol. 1 for his new Pitch Program. I like to use Frequency 8Hz, Reactivity 2.5, Silencer -1, Disc -6.4, and Audio Resp. 6, Sens. 93 for my 9" coil. I use Frequency 74Hz, Reactivity 2.5, Silencer -1, Disc. -6.4, and Audio Resp. 6, Sens. 83 for my HF Elliptical coil. Both coils I start with Deus Fast program. I do set the notch to get rid of big iron at Frequency 8Hz, but doesn't seem to work on the Frequency 74Hz. Also, I noticed that Iron Vol. setting can slightly affect depth. Maybe Calabash Digger could do a test in his garden showing the effects of changing the Iron Vol. on both the 9" regular coil and the HF Elliptical coils?

OP
OP
Tedyoh

Tedyoh

Bronze Member
Apr 13, 2013
N.E. Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok, so you don't think setting the Iron Vol at 1 will unmask more non ferrous targets? Calabash Digger mentioned that he uses Iron Vol. 1 for his new Pitch Program. I like to use Frequency 8Hz, Reactivity 2.5, Silencer -1, Disc -6.4, and Audio Resp. 6, Sens. 93 for my 9" coil. I use Frequency 74Hz, Reactivity 2.5, Silencer -1, Disc. -6.4, and Audio Resp. 6, Sens. 83 for my HF Elliptical coil. Both coils I start with Deus Fast program. I do set the notch to get rid of big iron at Frequency 8Hz, but doesn't seem to work on the Frequency 74Hz. Also, I noticed that Iron Vol. setting can slightly affect depth. Maybe Calabash Digger could do a test in his garden showing the effects of changing the Iron Vol. on both the 9" regular coil and the HF Elliptical coils?
My opinion is iron volume is needed when using full tones, but I feel it's not needed when using 2 tones....i will be using these programs in heavy iron, after I've been through them in full tones, so I don't see the need for iron volume (in a 2 tone program) - as far as depth or the "edge of detection depth", that is really a non factor for me in heavy iron. I haven't messed with CD's pitch program much yet so we should leave that for him and wait for his opinion.

DALPAL

Sep 11, 2005
I have been using a similar program on an early 1800's site although I leave the iron volume on. I have found also that the crusty square nails will give no vdi or a squeaky high pitch with a 97 to 99 vdi depending on freq. .Occasionally a bent nail will give a good vdi. Good targets almost always give a decent vdi though the number may be off . If the target is very deep and good no vdi but a more sweet sounding signal.
I alternate between full tones and the two tone program depending on my mood.

OP
OP
Tedyoh

Tedyoh

Bronze Member
Apr 13, 2013
N.E. Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been using a similar program on an early 1800's site although I leave the iron volume on. I have found also that the crusty square nails will give no vdi or a squeaky high pitch with a 97 to 99 vdi depending on freq. .Occasionally a bent nail will give a good vdi. Good targets almost always give a decent vdi though the number may be off . If the target is very deep and good no vdi but a more sweet sounding signal.
I alternate between full tones and the two tone program depending on my mood.
I see exactly the same thing

Bharpring

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2016
Savannah, GA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What happens if you notch out 97- 99 on the 3rd notch? Leave the first notch -6.4. Second notch at 0 - 10.

OP
OP
Tedyoh

Tedyoh

Bronze Member
Apr 13, 2013
N.E. Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What happens if you notch out 97- 99 on the 3rd notch? Leave the first notch -6.4. Second notch at 0 - 10.
That would probably help with nails and large iron, but, not that it's never happened to me, a shallow half or dollar could ring in that high, that's why I don't notch 97-99, plus deep quarters and dimes come in at that range (as CD has shown in 1 of his videos)

Bharpring

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2016
Savannah, GA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On higher frequencies maybe just notch 99 - 99 and at 8 HZ notch 97 - 99 and turn off ID Norm? ID Norm jacks up VDIs. Maybe Calabash could show a video testing 12" deep silver quarter and half dollar ID Norm vs no ID Norm at different frequencies? Would be interesting

DALPAL

Sep 11, 2005
For me the tone quality is telling. Notching at the high end changes the info given slightly.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread