Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

MiddenMonster

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2004
Down in the pit
Detector(s) used
Garrett 350 GTA
Can anyone give me an idea what or if buried crates of bullets, rifles, swords or such would show up using a thermal imager? And if they do would they be hotter or cooler​ than the surrounding environment?

Most likely it all depends on how it is wrapped and how long it has been buried. I think the industry standard for locating buried caches--from bodies to "crates of bullets, rifles, swords or such" is going to be GPR (Ground Penetrating Radar). The key information regarding limitations can be found here:

Ground Penetrating Radar Limitations

RTH

Sep 22, 2015
Hunterdon County NJ
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle, White's MXT, Minelab EQ800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A lot of factors would go into using thermal imagery for locating buried items. It would depend on the terrain first of all. If it is in an area that is wooded, it would be very difficult because you would not really be able to see the true surface under leaves, branches, or other debris. If it was recently buried, the disturbed ground and debris could be visible on the imager's screen.

If the area is something like a desert or a maintained lawn, slight indications could be visible for several years just from the surface settling, such as a crate rotting and collapsing, even just slightly. I have seen videos of air searches that clearly showed the outlines of graves in a cemetery that where decades old.

If there has been a recent drastic change in the temperatures over a short period, you may have an easier time locating buried objects because the buried item, iron, gold, etc, may hold the heat or cold for a longer time than the surrounding soil. This will be easier to detect from a higher view point like an aircraft or a drone. Of course, the deeper the item, the less temperature difference there will be. A good time to check an area would be early morning after the sun has heated the ground slightly, or late at night when the ground has cooled, but buried objects may still hold some daytime heat.

Although thermal cameras may seem simple to use, get some training and learn how different things appear when viewed in Infra-red.

I agree with MM, GPR will probably be a better choice, although much more costly. Again, GPR will also include a learning curve like any other technology.

I would be interested to hear how you make out, either way.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions