Using trashed coin finds

qtrs-xcite-me

Mar 28, 2022
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
As all metal detectorists, I have found a ton of trash while digging for treasure. Much of that trash is deeply pitted, bent or partially corroded away modern coins that are in such bad shape they cannot be placed into circulation. Since the banks will not accept these coins, I presume laws against defacing coins would not apply. Does anyone know anything different? I have been considering taking a collection of these coins and resin casting them into coasters as a bit of a joke about my treasure finds. Has anyone tried this? Any legal reason not to do it?

robertk

Bronze Member
May 16, 2023
Missouri
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
White's Spectra v3i
Garrett Ultra GTA 1000
Whites Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know of any reason you couldn't do that with any coin you wanted, damaged or not. You aren't defacing it by covering it with resin -- arguably you are protecting it. Just think of it as a permanent coin slab.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Lots of examples on the web regarding epoxied coins.
Now they all look shiny and clean so the idea of grungy coins might be a winner.

OP
OP
Q

qtrs-xcite-me

Mar 28, 2022
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Thanks for posting that link. Years ago, Federal Reserve Banks were required to accept damaged coins at face value. This explains why my recent attempts with FRBs were denied. It appears the redemption program is still on hold and coins lost (in the ground) would be considered trash and un-redeemable.

OP
OP
Q

qtrs-xcite-me

Mar 28, 2022
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
I don't know of any reason you couldn't do that with any coin you wanted, damaged or not. You aren't defacing it by covering it with resin -- arguably you are protecting it. Just think of it as a permanent coin slab.
Well, if I proceed with this idea and get in trouble, I want you on the jury!

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There's tons of gold plated U.S. coins for sale online. If that's not considered defacing a coin, then what you want to do definitely isn't defacing a coin.

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kelly Graham's 'penny floor'. She used 7,500 of them, interspersed with a few dimes for contrast. Gaps filled with grout and the whole floor coated in clear resin. Still going strong after five years apparently.

Coin Floor.jpg

I saw something similar in the bar of a country pub in the UK some years ago but in a more elaborate design created with multiple denominations of coinage from a whole host of countries.

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A few years back I made an epoxy door. Bought an old vintage door at a garage sale, popped out the glass, inserted all kinds of treasures (coins included) that I have found, and added the epoxy. It came out very nice, and no one has said anything about defacing coins. Do what you want with yours. I think making coasters with some coins is a great idea.

OP
OP
Q

qtrs-xcite-me

Mar 28, 2022
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Although I have a bit more polishing to do, I thought I would go ahead and post a pic of my attempt to make something useful out of some of the damaged coins I have found.

Attachments

• coin coasters 2 r.jpg
    coin coasters 2 r.jpg
    581.8 KB · Views: 12

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My Sister-in-law made a bar top out of old coins I even think there was some silver coins and paper money it looked really nice.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread