CHughes77

Jul 24, 2008
New Castle,Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE w\ Sunray X1 Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
USM padlock & brass skeleton key

Hey whats up everyone!!! I found a couple things I need some info if possible. I figure this site if any can give me some answers! ;D A couple days ago I found this U.S.Mail two barrel key pad lock about 11 inches in the ground. For being that deep it surre is in great shape! If I had the key I bet it would still work.
Then this morning I was out hunting for about 30 min, and found this old brass skeleton key about 6-7 inches in the ground. It is about 4 3/4 in. long and 1 in. at the end (1/3in. in diameter in the middle). Any way anyone have any info. on these two relics like how old they are, what they where used for (I know one locks and the other unlocks;) ). I was why the key was so big mostly, is it for a jail? So anything anyone can tell me about them would be greatly appreciated! Thanks! Chris (digitaldevil7777)

Attachments

• USmailpl.jpg
    USmailpl.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 278
  • largebrassSKey.jpg
    largebrassSKey.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 287
Upvote 0
R

RUDY2003

Re: USM padlock & brass skeleton key

Both are pretty Cool!
What kind of site is it?

Keep safe...

Keith

OP
OP
CHughes77

CHughes77

Jul 24, 2008
New Castle,Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE w\ Sunray X1 Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I found the lock at a park in Indianapolis, IN.....and the key I found in front of my dads house in New Castle,IN. I also found some kind of copper thing....what looks like maybe a match holder or something?? It has pinstriping engraved in it too, but it was in two pieces! >:(

jgas

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2008
Midwesterner
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DFX, Pro 6000XL, SunRay Probe, Centech Pinpointer

There's more than corn in Indiana my southern friend...I am from South Bend. Nice digs. Find the chest that goes with that lock and you will find the riches! ;D jgas

NGE

Silver Member
May 27, 2008
S.E. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Explorer XS II, Fisher 1266-X
Primary Interest:
Other

Why are they both yellow? Cool finds, it looks like the mail lock may have been used to lock canvas mail bags at one time, it may have taken matters into its own hands at one time, looking for that special femail key, and got lost on the way ;D.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread