USS Flier SS-250

Hello,

We have a finder here who can locate the USS Flier SS-250 Sub that sank in August 13, 1944 with 72 of her crew went down and all declared Died in Action in April 16,1946.

My querry is: a. What is the interest of the US Navy in particular and the US Government in General in the possible salvage and recovery of the remains of the 72 Crew trapped inside the Submarine?

b. What will the Finder expect in return of his information?

c. As a salvage company duly accredited by the Philippine Government, will the United States Governmnet or the Navy help us finance the exploration and excavation and/or salvage of this US Sub or if our financial backers will finance the operation, what do we expect in the Return of our Investments?

d. What would be the feeling of the relatives and friends of the Crew of USS Flier: will they support our intention to recover their remains whom we believed still down inside the submarine?

argee

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
As for me, if one of my relatives went down with the sub, I would say let them stay there. That is their burial place.

If I was one that went down with my ship, I would say, leave me there.

Also, I would contact the nearest Naval Installation near you and see who they could put you in contact with. Let them know of your intentions. They may not allow you to salvage anything from the ship, much less bring up the deceased. The military is funny that way when it comes to honoring our fallen heroes!!! :) Like the USS Arizona, that is their burial sight. But just maybe, the Navy would be interested in locating the sub, won't know until you ask.

I had a great uncle who went down with his sub in the Philippine area in 1944, I wonder if this was his sub? No one in the family knows anything more than that. I have a pic of Great Uncle Tad (Harold is his real name) in his cracker jacks...handsome fella :) Due to records being burned in a 70's fire in St Louis....alot of military records were lost...but I do know that there is a memorial for Great Uncle Tad in the Philippines and he did receive a Purple Heart, but his remains were never found. Thank you for this tidbit...I will have to research this ship now....may be a clue to Great Uncle Tad.

And if that was his sub he was one, I would prefer to see his remains stay put...that is his final resting place and he's with his shipmates!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread