UTAH BOONDOCKING JUNE 23

controlfreq

Dec 2, 2007
Uh ...er....nevermind. Don't look it up if you're headed out there.. Jk..just a little native folklore. Seriously though, no reason not to be properly armed if possible.
One time some years ago I was phone ordering parts at work and discovered the young lady taking the order was located in Oregon. I asked if she ever saw a Sasquatch out there. She didn't know what that was so I said: "Big Foot, that's where they live, out in PNW." She got quiet: "OMG, I only moved here a week ago, I'm going to find out about this...!"

OP
OP
Peyton Manning

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Getting close now
Minus three weeks and counting
Set up the tent for practice
80E04FE3-5945-4BD7-AE32-4EDDD8454660.jpeg

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Utah is full of nice places to camp and has 5 beautiful national parks within 300 mile radius, all totally different and must see.

Blackfoot58

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2023
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Makro Simplex+
According to the DNR in Utah there are: 20 wolves
0 grizzly bears
4000 black bears
Bear proof the camp site at night; should be a great trip to take. Beautiful country.

OP
OP
Peyton Manning

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
According to the DNR in Utah there are: 20 wolves
0 grizzly bears
4000 black bears
Bear proof the camp site at night; should be a great trip to take. Beautiful country.
Would wolves or bears be in the desert part?
I’m planning on staying south

OP
OP
Peyton Manning

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I’ve never even seen a snake in the desert parts! Anyway I’ll clear them all out for you!
Hey opaldude,
Sounds like you live there. What about detecting on gov land? And picking up things?

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Getting close now
Minus three weeks and counting
Set up the tent for practice
View attachment 2079357

Pack a few serious stakes.
Most that come with tents won't hold them in the wind. It's worse in soft ground.

The drawback to being well anchored ; is what wind can do to certain designs!

Not sure those are Crow nation style smoke flaps showing. Pole arrangement was my first hint.
Lots of work setting up , you'd want to be staying a while for it to be worth it.
Plus hauling poles.
But , the design and engineering is worth noting. What does the wind have to push? And how do poles support cover compared to external poles?
Not shown is a tether cordage inside from the intersecting poles above staked to ground(if one is being used.) And a liner.
Roll the bottom up a little on hot days to create a draft upward.

opalboy

Nov 3, 2012
I’m in colorado, but go into Utah often, you can’t pick up dino bone on public land, but you can pick up the Pooh! You can pick up 25 lbs a day of petrified wood, up to 250 lbs total, plus one!? Not sure on what the plus one means, but I take as one large piece over 25 lbs, bring buckets for agate, there is so much! The area north and east of Moab is amazing called yellowcat, and then from green river to hanksville, you could spend your lifetime in those areas! Have a great time, we are heading that way soon!

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool, Peyton Manning. I was going to mention get some better tent stakes too, don't use the ones they give you with the tent. Keep in mind it may be pretty warm already out there. You probably won't see any bears or wolves if you're south of I-70, but you will see a lot of Coloradans, particularly from Summit County, cause that seems to be where we go during 'mud season'. I got a couple of weeks off the first of June, and the wife and I may head out there. Take it easy at elevation. Drink lots of water, and avoid a lot of alcohol if you drink. One thing, I live and work at around 10,000ft., and at times it's a little trying, but when I go somewhere around 5,000ft., I feel like superman, haha! Get us some pics.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a great place to be. I no longer travel Utah. In the past decades, I once traveled most every north, south east and west roads across the state. Your post has has reminded me to review some of the places I've seen in my travels all over that state. You could spend many years searching all the other unique hidden places in Utah. I hope you find many of them.

Attachments

• trip 041818 1.jpg
    trip 041818 1.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 15
  • 20200218_164756.jpg
    20200218_164756.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 17
  • geo loop 3.jpg
    geo loop 3.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 14
  • vernal 1.jpg
    vernal 1.jpg