Upvote 0

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
First off odds are any utility lines should be deep enough as to not be an issue when metal detecting or if not at least clearly marked.

Regards + HH

Bill

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am able to identify old water lines, leading from a house to the street. Always a solid mid-tone, in a straight line.

DiggerGal

Oct 12, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In ground is way deeper than you will ever hit. Above ground power poles you need to know will interfere with reception.

The Beep Goes On

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2006
Houston, TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Excalibur II, V3i, TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Depends on where you are. I've noticed in a lot of sports fields and parks, the utilities may not be buried that deep. If your machine starts making a lot of noise only in certain areas then it's probably electricity. Non-electrified pipes/conduits don't send out EMF and act more like ordinary targets; they're just big - use your pinpointing function to draw them out on the ground and you'll see a straight line.

Power lines in general can be problematic - Minelab machines seem to handle them best. If you hear a cyclic hum or hear a bunch of noise there is probably a power line nearby - try raising your coil shoulder height and see if it goes away. If it doesn't it is probably above ground; if so, then below. You can try lowering the sensitivity if you want to try hunting in those areas - doesn't always work.

digger460

Silver Member
Sep 19, 2015
Southeast Grundy, Illinois
Detector(s) used
EQ600, EQ800 and a Carrot
Primary Interest:
Other
Cable lines will also make the machine chatter. There usually less then a foot deep. When in doubt, don't dig. I wrapped my lesche completely with electrical tape. Had a bad experience many years ago. Tip: Turn your sensitivity down if you have overhead lines. Not sure if it works underground, but I would steer clear of that anyway. HH

catherine1

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just watch out for electrical lines at residences that might be buried shallow going to outside lights or landscaping, but if you do hit one it only tickles. Ha.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread