UV Light

rockhoundrich

Jun 3, 2012
Redlands CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the only prescious ones that i know are ruby and opal also i believe diamond will glow blue where cz will glow pink hope this helps

Upvote 0

rockhoundrich

Jun 3, 2012
Redlands CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i love to look at my collection under uv and it amazes many of my friends when they see the difference from regular light to uv some of my favorites include franklinite, fossil coral, hanksite, and some calcites happy hunting

Upvote 0

maipenrai

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2010
Thailand/Europe/California
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 2 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also most here know about how to find scorpions with UV. I had heard about it, but seeing is believing, and they really glow with UV, so Im getting a bigger UV light, for out in the bush, but Im sure there are many other things that UV will uncover.

Upvote 0

rockhoundrich

Jun 3, 2012
Redlands CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i have a 2ft black light that i use in conjunction with a power inverter and a car battery in the field rolling it on a wagon cant use on exterme terrain but for most areas it works well just an idea if your serious because some of those battery operated ones either dont last long or arent that bright

Upvote 0

IAMZIM

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2011
Butte City, Montana
Detector(s) used
ace 250/garret pinpointer, garret AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Benitoite glows under a short wave blacklight. georgebenitoite.jpg

Upvote 0

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Only some ruby will glow, if it contains Iron it seems to hinder reaction to UV.
None of my rubies from India will fluorescence due to that, for example.

Diamonds can react to UV, in many different colours, not only blue.

If you would find some Sphalerite or Sphene (in facet grade) they can also fluoresence I think.
And are quite valuable. (in facet grade)
I guess it depends on what you think of as 'valuable'.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
starsplitter

starsplitter

Jan 20, 2007
Basically, what I plan to do is take a UV light along wherever I prospect. I'll scan the banks and in caves when I encounter them. I know - not very scientific. In Latin America here.

Upvote 0

IAMZIM

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2011
Butte City, Montana
Detector(s) used
ace 250/garret pinpointer, garret AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used to live in Utah and I went out in the west desert alot. There is a small mountain range called the Dugway range where you can find really cool geodes. Somone told me the geodes there glow bright neon green under a short wave black light, so off I go one night to get some. It was really neat.... I was picking up nice geodes and putting them in my backpack, the ground looked like green stars all over because of the little shards of agate from the geodes. I saw a really bright "star" and I was like:"Oh! wow!" When I went to pick it up it MOVED away from me! It was a scorpion! Almost scared the pants off me. Then I remember all those hollow geodes in my backpack.....=O so I slowly took it off and put it in the BACK of my truck! Just thought id tell ya this little story since you guys were talking about scorpions glowing lol!!:tongue3:

Upvote 0

TheRockCollector

Jan 8, 2012
Toronto,Ontario
Primary Interest:
Other
Rogerly mine flourite is very valuable (my specimen is about 2 thousand and is the size of a beer can) however it is completely mined out in 2011 so probaly is mined out now unless they found another vein...
(PS it floureses purple and is a green flourite)

TRC

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread