Uwharrie gold mines. Need help finding closest parking to any old mines. Thank you

crazykid

Aug 5, 2012
Asheboro NC
Detector(s) used
Falcon MD 20, Bazooka Gold Trap, Fisher gold bug pro.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Upvote 0

BurntBear

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2014
N.E. Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Shovels....lots of shovels!
Primary Interest:
Other
OP
OP
C

crazykid

Aug 5, 2012
Asheboro NC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'm not personally familiar with particular gold mines of that area. The Uwharrie is a vast area and just about anywhere you dig around there is going to be heavily regulated as North Carolina has clamped down hard. Here are the general guidelines:

National Forests in North Carolina - Resource Management

Here is a map of gold mines. You can zoom to your particular area. There are a lot of gold deposits down there.

http://www.mylandmatters.org/Maps/USGold/GetMap

Thanks for the reply. So far I've only found a lot of blacksand but I'm still new to prospecting. Appreciate the reply.

BurntBear

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2014
N.E. Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Shovels....lots of shovels!
Primary Interest:
Other
Yes, the black sands are abundant down that way. Any exposed bedrock in the stream you're working?

Oakview2

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2012
Prather CA
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Primary Interest:
Other
Find a local club to join, they will point you to good spots to dig, and help you get ready to strike out on your own.

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can find gold in any of the creeks in Uwharrie. Don't need to be near gold mines. How close are you to the forest?

OP
OP
C

crazykid

Aug 5, 2012
Asheboro NC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
You can find gold in any of the creeks in Uwharrie. Don't need to be near gold mines. How close are you to the forest?

I live in Asheboro. It takes about 35 min to get to Eldorado outpost but I can get to the northern part of UNF in about 15 min. Thanks

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Last edited:

davidb

Jan 7, 2013
I don't know about that section but I deliver fuel up to mount airy and I know the quartz is heavy I haven't had a chance to prospect but I'm gonna try

OP
OP
C

crazykid

Aug 5, 2012
Asheboro NC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yes, the black sands are abundant down that way. Any exposed bedrock in the stream you're working?
Not that I've seen yet but I'm going to do some more hiking a find some good places.

Hamfist

Aug 1, 2014
SoCal
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Whippet, 151, GH, shovel, brain
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Much of the time, gold gets more plentiful the further you get from parking lots.

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Much of the time, gold gets more plentiful the further you get from parking lots.

That is true in many cases. On the other hand the largest nugget in existence was found just off a major road. Check out the map of where the Hand of Faith Nugget was found. 874.82 ounces - 72.9 pounds of gold found just behind a school yard. :laughing7:

Sometimes it's better to check where you parked your truck. It's a good bet that a popular parking or camping spot hasn't been worked.

Gold is where you find it and it is still out there. :thumbsup:

Heavy Pans

Hamfist

Aug 1, 2014
SoCal
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Whippet, 151, GH, shovel, brain
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
That is true in many cases. On the other hand the largest nugget in existence was found just off a major road. Check out the map of where the Hand of Faith Nugget was found. 874.82 ounces - 72.9 pounds of gold found just behind a school yard. :laughing7:
Well yeah...aside from that! Haha

I'm just pointing out to someone who said he's new to this stuff that most people are lazy and work near where they can park and dig holes near other holes like lemmings. If the easy ground isn't giving up the goods, a walk might be in order.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions