IMG_20240111_182551025~2.jpg
    181.9 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_20240111_182507062~2.jpg
    IMG_20240111_182507062~2.jpg
    265.2 KB · Views: 19
Upvote 7

bottlecap4u

Jan 15, 2024
I thought this was worthy of a re-post. Pulled a V nickel coin roll hunting the other night...it has been posted in the general forum....I garnered a 44P, 1938 D(a first), no date buffalo, and about 25 pre 1959 dates...anyway here's the V nickel...my first...thanks for viewing!
nice to see a V nickel in a non-dug state....so that's what one looks like :D:D. Nice find.

OP
OP
Coinstar magnet

Coinstar magnet

Silver Member
Apr 5, 2020
Beverly Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks bottlecap4u,
Are they usually toasted?
I do see a lot of the buffalo nickels in their dug state and the posts usually say something about just being happy to see the date...but haven't seen a lot of the V nickels posted...

bottlecap4u

Jan 15, 2024
Thanks bottlecap4u,
I do see a lot of the buffalo nickels in their dug state and the posts usually say something about just being happy to see the date...but haven't seen a lot of the V nickels posted...
yup, the world isn't nice to buffalos, Vs and shield nickels, sure some guys here will show some toasty ones.

cajundetector

Mar 4, 2023
Thanks bottlecap4u,
A V nickel that I dug about a year ago. Your eyeballs almost pop trying to make out the head. Back is even worse lol. This is after countless home remedies to restore it. This was the best I could do.

Attachments

• IMG_0854.jpeg
    IMG_0854.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 15
OP
OP
Coinstar magnet

Coinstar magnet

Silver Member
Apr 5, 2020
Beverly Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A V nickel that I dug about a year ago. Your eyeballs almost pop trying to make out the head. Back is even worse lol. This is after countless home remedies to restore it. This was the best I could do.
I see what you mean about dug coins...it seems like some soils are kinder than others...it looks like you have a visible date on yours...I always feel alittle like I'm cheating when I get coins via coin roll hunting or a coinstar. :)

cajundetector

Mar 4, 2023
I see what you mean about dug coins...it seems like some soils are kinder than others...it looks like you have a visible date on yours...I always feel alittle like I'm cheating when I get coins via coin roll hunting or a coinstar. :)
To me, even though I have not done it YET, it takes some doing to a bank-negotiate with a busy teller to buy 50 or so dollars worth of nickels hoping to get what you need. I haven’t mustered up the nerve to do it yet lol!! It also seems to require alot of patience to sort through it all. Either way, I’m hoping to get into the hobby myself. Again, congrats!!

OP
OP
Coinstar magnet

Coinstar magnet

Silver Member
Apr 5, 2020
Beverly Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To me, even though I have not done it YET, it takes some doing to a bank-negotiate with a busy teller to buy 50 or so dollars worth of nickels hoping to get what you need. I haven’t mustered up the nerve to do it yet lol!! It also seems to require alot of patience to sort through it all. Either way, I’m hoping to get into the hobby myself. Again, congrats!!
What helps with the banks is if you call ahead and explain what you do as a hobby...and ask what times work best for them...I buy a box of nickels because they don't have to fuss with rolls of coins....I also ask if they'll have coins available next week or when new boxes are coming in...they can order them for you...mostly it's just communication... What's nice is you can bring the unpulled coins back....I don't roll them...but use a coin sorter... as a member of the bank or credit union you don't get charged the 11 or 12 percent...

I hope that makes sense...just some thoughts...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions