V3i cherry picks gold, again.

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, XP Deus, Minelab Sovereign GT, Garrett AT Pro, Whites TRX (2), Predator Raven, Predator Raptor, Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
Other
Can't figure out the hallmark.
1488399598132.jpg
7.6 grams, 14K.

Twinkletoes

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2013
Detector(s) used
White’s TDI Beach Hunter PI / Minelab Excalibur 1000 / White's MX Sport / White’s XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice ring! Beautiful! From here it looks like 14K. Congratulations! H Digs

OP
OP
Deft Tones

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, XP Deus, Minelab Sovereign GT, Garrett AT Pro, Whites TRX (2), Predator Raven, Predator Raptor, Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks. Yes it's 14k and the hallmark is just to the left...very faintly. Some kind of looping "&" and a "c", maybe.

I like the engravings. Looks like a bird, sun, and some other motif.

Thanks for looking.

OP
OP
Deft Tones

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Well, who's an idiot. Me. I should sleep more before quickly posting a confused thread...lol.

Trademark!

Anyway, still no dice. But I did realize it's not a sun, that's the center of a flower with two birds, one flanking on each side of the petals and flourishes as leaves filling in between the repeating pattern.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
send it to me for study

CoinFetcher

Bronze Member
Apr 29, 2012
Left coast
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Love to treasure hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tell us how you cherry picked it!? I did hunt today looking for nickel signals and really had fun!

OP
OP
Deft Tones

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Tell us how you cherry picked it!? I did hunt today looking for nickel signals and really had fun!

Hunting an athletic complex after a trip to the dentist. Feeling off and a bit sick from anesthetic and half my face being numb, I was in no mood to jack off on questionable signals at all. The criteria was it must show a clean 3 frequency polar plot hit, any textbook coin type signal. Frequency dominance not so critical...just hit on all three well enough to plot cleanly.

Running a correlate program span of 8.

Been plucking quarters and dimes with the 8x6sef mounted. Leaving the copper and zinc for another day.

Hunting near the trash barrel at the parking lot curb (on the way back to the truck) I hit a solid tone VDI 48 with nice single bar (resolution 1) alignment on the spectragraph but the 2.5 bar was slightly offset. Polar plot says 7.5 freq. dominate followed by 22.5 and a very small but visible 2.5.

No coins hit like that at VDI48. Ring pulls and square tabs never hit on 2.5 very well so ruled them out. To low VDI for a typical screw cap and 2.5 not hitting hard enough rules that out. Pinpointing size and shape checks small and round. I knew it was going to be jewelry (been digging lots of junk jewelry at this spot) but wasn't expecting gold. 3 inches deep arms distance from the curb.

Guess how much trash I dug? 3 screw caps. That's it. 16 coins, 3 screw caps, a gold ring and done. About a 90 minute hunt.

Love my WifeV3i! :love7:

Last edited:

Twinkletoes

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2013
Detector(s) used
White’s TDI Beach Hunter PI / Minelab Excalibur 1000 / White's MX Sport / White’s XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hunting an athletic complex after a trip to the dentist. Feeling off and a bit sick from anesthetic and half my face being numb, I was in no mood to jack off on questionable signals at all. The criteria was it must show a clean 3 frequency polar plot hit, any textbook coin type signal. Frequency dominance not so critical...just hit on all three well enough to plot cleanly.

Running a correlate program span of 8.

Been plucking quarters and dimes with the 8x6sef mounted. Leaving the copper and zinc for another day.

Hunting near the trash barrel at the parking lot curb (on the way back to the truck) I hit a solid tone VDI 48 with nice single bar (resolution 1) alignment on the spectragraph but the 2.5 bar was slightly offset. Polar plot says 7.5 freq. dominate followed by 22.5 and a very small but visible 2.5.

No coins hit like that at VDI48. Ring pulls and square tabs never hit on 2.5 very well so ruled them out. To low VDI for a typical screw cap and 2.5 not hitting hard enough rules that out. Pinpointing size and shape checks small and round. I knew it was going to be jewelry (been digging lots of junk jewelry at this spot) but wasn't expecting gold. 3 inches deep arms distance from the curb.

Guess how much trash I dug? 3 screw caps. That's it. 16 coins, 3 screw caps, a gold ring and done. About a 90 minute hunt.

Love my WifeV3i! :love7:

That's why I use White's metal detectors. On a bad day I'll dig half trash and half goodies. On a good day I can hit 75% or more goodies and 25% or less trash. You sure know how to work that V3i! I really enjoy your posts, thanks for the info too! Tt

Last edited:
OP
OP
Deft Tones

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
That's why I use White's metal detectors. On a bad day I'll dig half trash and half goodies. On a good day I can hit 75% or more goodies and 25% or less trash.

You know it!

And the whole process of analyzing a target in this manner only takes maybe 5 seconds total.

CoinFetcher

Bronze Member
Apr 29, 2012
Left coast
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Love to treasure hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm glad I asked - hitting the field soon! Thinking gold

MackDog

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2013
Spokane Wa
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro, 8 x11" and Nel Storm coils
Garrett Propointer er, Pro Pointer AT
White's V3i Standard, 10" DD, 13" Ultimate and 4 x6" sniper, 6 x10 coils, Drect 12 x 15 coil
Whites MX Sport With Detec
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I dig more iffy signals now. If it's 6" or deeper I'll take a chance. Find a lot of cool relics this way.

OP
OP
Deft Tones

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm glad I asked - hitting the field soon! Thinking gold

Only some rings hit on all 3 frequencies, usually only the larger, thick rings. The more common rings that I happen to find hit similar to square tabs, ring pulls, and more rarely folded aluminum foil. So what I'm saying is, if you only look for rings that hit on 3 frequencies you're missing lots of other rings that only hit on two, and more rarely, one frequency.

FYI, a span of 8 is agressive and will cause some rings to break up tonally, so it should be used only when you're planning to come back to a hunting spot.

Gold luck finding some!

OP
OP
Deft Tones

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I dig more iffy signals now. If it's 6" or deeper I'll take a chance. Find a lot of cool relics this way.

Agreed.

Even though some say it's not, the polar plot can still be effective at 6-8 inches in my normal soils. At depth I look for ferrous/non-ferrous looping plots...but rely on tone first. :icon_thumright:

driftless

Sep 21, 2015
SE MN
Detector(s) used
Delta 4000, F 70
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great example of a combination of machine and experience with the machine! Very nice ring and demonstrates your skills as detectorist.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread