Southeast Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab E trac - Irish
White's TRX
White's M6 (SOLD)
White's V3i (SOLD)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I recently got my V3i, it is a lot different than my M6... That being said, it is extremely chattery, and seems to not go as deep as my M. What's a decent setup for it? I live in SE Texas, and have a good bit of mineralization. Also, I notice that it obviously has a ton of other settings that I literally have no idea what they are! I've studied the DVD and the manual, and still can't find a happy medium. Please help!

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Check out the White's V3i forum on White's site. There are programs and very good explanations on what each feature does. Magic and Fox have some programs to try. There is also an advanced manual available. As far as the chatter, I run mine with the sense at 6-8 unless the ground is real clean and then you can go higher. It will find coins at 8-10 inches no problem and larger iron at 18+ inches. Go slow and learn what each function does and you will be able to program it for your hunting style and soil conditions. It becomes a "turn on and go" detector customized to do exactly what you need once you get it right.

Normsel

Bronze Member
Sep 10, 2012
D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just go slow and use the stock programs to begin with. It takes a while to get used to it. The more you use it and get yourself familiar with the settings and sounds you will love it

OP
OP
Amos Moses

Amos Moses

May 12, 2014
Southeast Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab E trac - Irish
White's TRX
White's M6 (SOLD)
White's V3i (SOLD)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Used.

McKinney_5900

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2010
Is this a new V3i or a used V3i?

SE Texas...possibly near Lone Star and the iron ore soil content? The reason I asked if it was used, was to say that many previous users of these machines "confused" the electronic circuits beyond recovery without doing a master reset. That process will clear up lots of noise. You should call Mary Hudson at Whites in Sweet Home Oregon and have her walk her through the process. You'll then have a V3i like it was out of the factory. If you still have lots of chatter and lack if depth, the coil would be my next idea. Are you running the 10"D2? That coil has a bad history of failures.

Look at the Relic Program and see how it runs for you. If it's been altered already, you'll want to do a restore from factory file. That program seems to treat me right when my V3i wants to get cranky. If you are setting on a bed of iron ore in SE Texas though, you'll want to run higher ground filters. The factory settings with the 10khz filter should run lots quieter, if the previous owner went to the 5khz filter for max depth and left it that way.

Is there any warranty left on this unit? martin

BTW, I too own an M6 as my primary backup.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Amos Moses

Amos Moses

May 12, 2014
Southeast Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab E trac - Irish
White's TRX
White's M6 (SOLD)
White's V3i (SOLD)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I appreciate that, it is very informative, I hadn't even thought of that. I'll give them a call tomorrow. Yessir, I'm running the 10"DD. I have my shooter too. I'd like to know how to get some of the factory settings back as well, I think a few were deleted. I don't have relic or prospecting. Any advice on how to do that? Ps: how do I get my external speaker to sound? I can only get volume on my headset! I know it's a silly question, but I'm a newbie with this monster! Also, what are some other "neat" tips and tricks with this thing?

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I appreciate that, it is very informative, I hadn't even thought of that. I'll give them a call tomorrow. Yessir, I'm running the 10"DD. I have my shooter too. I'd like to know how to get some of the factory settings back as well, I think a few were deleted. I don't have relic or prospecting. Any advice on how to do that? Ps: how do I get my external speaker to sound? I can only get volume on my headset! I know it's a silly question, but I'm a newbie with this monster! Also, what are some other "neat" tips and tricks with this thing?

You can restore any factory program from the library built in. You should have a relic program or it was deleted, just restore the same way from the factory installed programs. Make sure your volume is turned up to the speaker and headphones are not plugged in to hear the speaker. If you have wireless headphones you have to turn them off in programming. Grab a manual off the White's website and read it a couple times, it's all in there! Good luck!

McKinney_5900

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2010
All of the factory programs are still there. They can't be erased. The audio setup in the Expert mode is where you setup the headphone options. It's late. I will research it tomorrow. It's all in the on-line manual though.

You'll accomplish a lot when you get the master reset done. After that, all your factory programs will be named back to original. I would suggest that you test those factory programs for a while instead of diving into changing a lot of settings all at once. You should get your depth back. You won't be getting 10 inches instantly. Settle for 7-9 inches in air with the D2 for a while. Just don't start changing a lot for a while. martin

McKinney_5900

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2010
On the speaker issue. Go into the Expert Menu>Audio>Wireless Headphone and put an "X" in the "Speaker" box. You will have the headphones when plugged in and then the speaker works when you unplug the HPs. Best of two worlds. What headphones are you using,,,just curious. I would go ahead and also drop the "Power Level" in the headphones to a setting of "1." I sense that even though you may not be using Wireless HPs, the machine still pumps power and that eats battery power. I get intereference from a fellow V3i user even though he runs wired HPs, not the wireless.

While you are into the Expert menu, turn down the backlight. It's set to full power at default and it consumes your battery. Expert Menu>Configure>Backlight. I set mine to 1.

If and when you get the master reset, all these settings will require resetting.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Amos Moses

Amos Moses

May 12, 2014
Southeast Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab E trac - Irish
White's TRX
White's M6 (SOLD)
White's V3i (SOLD)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm in Beaumont. Not too far from Baytown.

tnsharpshooter

Jul 10, 2012
Tn
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus 2, Xp Deus 1, Minelab Etrac, Minelab Manticore
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Keep your machine in stock coin for a while. The 2 settings to maybe play with a little are RX gain and Disc setting. If you machine is noisy try lowering RX gain down. You can go to 6 and be fine. You can increase your disc a little to say 90.

texjim

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2009
schuylkill county pa.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
whites xlt,vx3
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Spent sometime over there.. grand parents used to live in Lumberton

OP
OP
Amos Moses

Amos Moses

May 12, 2014
Southeast Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab E trac - Irish
White's TRX
White's M6 (SOLD)
White's V3i (SOLD)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, Lumberton is just up the road from me. If you ever come back in, let me know... I could use someone to go detecting with.

scotty544

Mar 11, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 XP Deus Whites V3i
Tesoro Silver Saber
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have found that the stock coin and jewelry mode is almost impossible to beat. I have tried numerous custom programs and always have had the beat results with the stock C&J. Tried some of Fox's and Magic's and some of my own making.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello Amos Moses,

The V3i is a wonderful machine with all of its user settings. I do not live in your area, perhaps you can speak to someone in your area. The white's forum is a fantastic resource for new users. Read and reread the manual and watch a few Youtube videos. "Dirtdigger" has a few for the V3i that are very informative. White's has few instructional videos that are very useful. The best way to go deeper in your area is to start with a stock program, say "coin and jewelry" and tweak one setting (sensitivity, gain and filtering) at a time and observe the detector operation. There is a learning curve, but not bad and once you understand how each setting affects another. Once "mastered" you will be on your way to great finds. I hope this will help you.

Best Regards,

Digging Deeper

Jan 12, 2013
Mississippi Gulf Ciast
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i D2 & 5.3
Garrett AT Pro stock
Bounty Hunter 505
Cheap UW PI
Whites TRX
Garrett Pro pointer
Vibra-Quatic 2
I have been running mine for a couple of years and think the best upgrade I have made was the battery. I went with this one ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1422294658.222726.jpg
It was a bit pricey but it charges fast and last for days regardless of the settings. I have been empresses. It sat up for several months and when I popped it in it was almost fully charged. That price was hard to swallow until I figured how much more search time I had. Now If only the wireless head phones batteries and pinpointer would last as long.

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have been running mine for a couple of years and think the best upgrade I have made was the battery. I went with this one View attachment 1111101
It was a bit pricey but it charges fast and last for days regardless of the settings. I have been empresses. It sat up for several months and when I popped it in it was almost fully charged. That price was hard to swallow until I figured how much more search time I had. Now If only the wireless head phones batteries and pinpointer would last as long.

That's the same one I bought last fall DD. They are great aren't they? I would recommend them to everyone that likes long hunts or multiple hunts without having to worry about the battery going belly up.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello,

I bought two batteries (HP3100) for the DFX and V3i, love them!

Regards,

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread