V3i

Whitebeard

Nov 20, 2011
Higher-North-Shore Qc.
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have been working with basic detector(Garret Ace 350) and planning on buying V3i for more serious hunting, from what I can read about it in all of the topics it seems to be great except for certain dificulties in programing so my question is this "not having any experience with other detectors can any of you experts out there tell me if my choice on V3i is OK or would you suggest something else before I turn to the V3i that would facilitate my understanding of its functions?" I am very much aware that experience is the key to succes but am wondering if there is a good alternative to my choice since I want a detector that is versatile, thanks in advance for your answers.

kilmer

Mar 30, 2005
Central Indiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ3 , F75 LTD, CZ70 pro, Teknetics G2, Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I didn't exactly have the same situation when I got my new detector. I probably would have gone for the V3i if money had not been a problem. I ended up with the VX3. It is a pretty amazing detector with plenty of tinkering room if you want to play. I wanted something that benefited from the new technology but didn't need all of the adjusting. It seems like the support group is much larger for the V3i than the V3x though. Make sure you watch some videos and become familiar with the sounds of the Vs before you get one. My biggest adjustment is getting comfortable with the sound. My detectors are all tone id machines that basically beep on a good signal. The Vs have an entirely different sound. I have enabled tone id on mine and I am getting along better.
Take your time, keep reading the posts and watch some videos. You can probably have most of the hard work done in your mind before your new detector even arrives. Let us know what you decide.

Don
HH

earthmansurfer

Apr 3, 2004
Germany
Don made some good comments.

I'll add I think it depends on your personality. I am an ex I.T. guy, I like finding out how things work and playing with settings. The V3i allows that for me. But that said, my settings are now where I want them, I don't need to do much but turn the machine on and go. Again a big BUT, I have to go back and start playing with the settings again. The machine can do so much.

Once you get the basics down, really that is setting the machine up (watch my video) which involves really the main settings. I'd say sensitivity, filters and a good Ground Balance, oh, and a bit with recovery speed. The real work is with sensitivity imo, but they are all interrelated. Anyway, there as soooo many settings, but if you learn the before mentioned, the rest is just icing. The basic settings is where most of the performance come from (and running correlate if you have iron or higher ground mineralization.

It is a fun machine to run. Search for my collection of posts "book" here. There are 65 pages of notes on the main settings and such. It is a fun read. The real learning will be in playing with the machine though. Don't let all the posts and settings scare you off. (Again it depends on you. If you are happy just turning a detector on and going, then a simpler machine would be better. If you like more about detecting than the searching and digging, the V3i is a really good choice.)

Hope that was helpful,
Albert

Coin Digger

Jul 13, 2008
Williams County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites Classic 3 SL
Fisher F2
Bounty Hunter Platinum
Whites XLT
Nokta Legend
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Going from the Ace 350 to the V3i is night and day x2. I became overwhelmed by all the adjustments which translated into frustration. What I finally did was reset the factory programs and forced myself to only use the six block of settings. Once I did that my enjoyment level went up and so did my experience. I pretty much stick to the C&J program with just a few minor tweaks to how it displays info. The factory programs are turn on and go that where designed by White's experts, so you will be getting close to maximum performance straight out of the box. It's an amazing machine thats for sure.

OP
OP
Whitebeard

Whitebeard

Nov 20, 2011
Higher-North-Shore Qc.
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks to you all who have replied to my post, I have already made up my mind and am now convinced to stay with my first choice, V3i it will be, will be making my purchase after the New Year festivities and can practice in my basement (earth floor) until spring arrives.

I have made a nice discovery a few years back, that of a 16th century french sword dating from the French regime I will be posting pictures of it and the info I found on it in a week or two.

Thanks again for your advice, will let you know in a few months how I like my new tool.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread