V3i

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nomadnailer: I would search the internet for videos: "beach detecting with the V3i, so that I could see how other hunters use it and how to protect it.

I always read the instruction manual, several times, before I purchase any metal detector to determine if it is suitable for the way I hunt.
As with any detector, which is new to me, the first thing that I would do is air test it to determine how it responds to various targets under the coil.
Once I know how it responds, I start out by detecting in my back yard, where I have privacy and don't have to worry about how I appear to others.

After, I have built up confidence in my back yard, I evaluate it on the beach, as I am primarily a beach hunter.
I always start out hunting on the dry sand to learn the detector.
As it is easy to learn to pin point and dig there with lots of junk and modern coins, some fresh dropped jewelry, to learn how the discriminator works.
Don't try to detect an area with too many targets/to much trash as you will be overwhelmed.

Avoid the heat of the day, if this is not possible try to detect where there is shade.
I suspect that it will be very difficult, most likely not possible, to read the display in direct sun light.

After you build confidance hunting the dry sand, move lower and detect the wet sand between the high tide line and the low tide line using a wide W pattern to find the target line. Once you find denser targets such as lead sinkers, old quarters slow down and spiral out or do a grid pattern depending on the beach

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread