SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
VA halfpenny and other colonial finds from today's hunt

Was finally able to squeeze in a little hunting time today and went back to the site that's produced a French Rev War button, two 3-cent pieces and numerous colonial buttons. Found a mini-hotspot in an area that I didn't think would be productive. Dug a nice Va halfpenny on my 2nd signal of the day. After some cleaning it has a silvery look to it. Too bad its not one of those rare "shillings" with only 6 known. I also had a scare when this 2-piece button with no backmark showed up. Thought it might be a CS button of some type, but after removing the dirt from the front I think its just a decorative civilian button. At least that's what I think it is as I've never seen one before. I dug quite a bit of colonial brass too including 2 rosettes. One was huge and I was able to find both pieces to it. These brass spout-looking things showed up too and I'm not sure what they are, but they came from the area with all the other colonial stuff so I assume they're probably period. Found another fire pit too (the 4th one at this site), and it contained a very corroded hoe. I also found an axe head as well. Overall I was happy with today's results as I wasn't expecting much to be left at this site. But my sites this year seem to have multiple hotspots, and I continued with that trend today.

Attachments

• 040312a.JPG
    040312a.JPG
    266.1 KB · Views: 80
  • 040312b.JPG
    040312b.JPG
    378.3 KB · Views: 77
  • 040312c.JPG
    040312c.JPG
    258.4 KB · Views: 73
  • 040312d.JPG
    040312d.JPG
    265.8 KB · Views: 81
  • 040312f.JPG
    040312f.JPG
    133.7 KB · Views: 96
  • 040312g.JPG
    040312g.JPG
    150.1 KB · Views: 86
  • 040312e.JPG
    040312e.JPG
    412.9 KB · Views: 90
Upvote 0

timekiller

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2009
Morehead City / Newport NC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last edited:

Devonrex

Jan 6, 2012
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, Nautilus DMC IIB
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Anytime you dig a lined button 99% of the time it is military. That button would have definitely fooled me! When I saw the horses I though of Pennsylvania but its lacking the eagle...... its still a great find but I know you would have liked a Confederate button better! Most of the livery buttons I have seen have a rope below the design but maybe this is another category. Nice Half-Penny too - anytime you can get one with that much detail out of this area your doing good. Devonrex

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice VA Halfpenny Bill. That horse button sure is a nice looking button. Don't know if you'll ever be able to ID it though.

BobinSouthVA

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2007
SE Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro / Whites Prism II
Great finds Bill

You know, I found mine last week in the same sort of area. Didn't think I'd find anything in that spot.

Congrats

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Kirk PA

Bronze Member
May 23, 2009
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks for sharing your Colonial finds, Bill. I always enjoy a little bit of VA treasure. I would take that VA copper and smile with passion.

Kirk

OP
OP
Bill D. (VA)

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Can you make out the motto on the ribbon below the horses?

I looked at the button under magification and there appears to be something in the ribbon, but can't tell for sure if it's lettering or just some design. I may take a hi-res close-up later and post it.

OP
OP
Bill D. (VA)

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Here's some close-ups of the button. Doesn't look like there's any lettering on the ribbon.

040312h.JPG 040312i.JPG

hamiddetecting

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2012
North Pole
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT and Excalibur II, Whites, Garrett, Fisher, Alert, MD,Cscope,Tesoro, Compas, XP, Long Rs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulation. HH, Hamid

timekiller

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2009
Morehead City / Newport NC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bill when I stated it was a livery button it was because it's what I thought of first (coat of arms)type like here.......
http://www.bysonbuttons.com/forsalepics/wildwed/6.26.11/liveryH.jpg
,but after looking at the Pa.state seal buttons it's such a close match other then the eagle missing that that's probably the road to take.I see they were all forms from CW through to WWII,& might even be some kind of knock off blazer button.Sorry about the miss hap.
Pete,:hello:

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bet for a split second before you had removed the dirt, seeing the two figures on each side of a crest that you thought it may be a Michigan or Pennsylvania as that button looks somewhat similar to both of those state buttons. Congratulations on your digs Bill. I dug at Berkeley plantation a couple days ago and got a few goodies as well..just have to get the time to post them.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions