Vacation to SC beach. Help...

petersra

Apr 26, 2006
a few miles from the ocean
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark + Cheap Radio Shack + Whites DF PI + Aquasound
Matt, All SC beaches are strictly OFF LIMITS........ ;D Well, not really, but sometimes I wish they were when I spend hours hunting the beach and find a few pennies and 100 bobby pins. To seriously answer your question, NO, all salt beaches are fair game hunting, even at the state parks you can hunt the beach just not in the park itself. I live 90 miles south of Myrtle, and would not be able to join you. However, the beaches are probably crowded and you should have some good luck. The beaches at Myrtle were re-nourished a couple year ago, so the finds are all recent ones, nothing old is accessable to the hunter. DFX should work fine on the beach. Although you could find valuables in the dry sand, you might want to find out the time of low tide and work the wet sand from 2 hours before to 2 hours after the low tide. Most jewelry is lost while playing in the surf. Tidal fluctuation in SC ranges from 4 to 6 feet between high and low tide depending on the moon and other astrological influences. Look for cuts in the beach where heavy materials may deposit, but if you don't see any, then any stretch of beach that seems well used by beach goers would be a good place to start. Happy Hunting. Ralph

rwoods61

Tenderfoot
Jul 11, 2010
petersra,

I'm confused! I am going to Huntington Beach SP this fall and they distinctly cay "no metal detectors" Does that mean in the park? They have a lot of beach.

rwoods61

petersra

Apr 26, 2006
a few miles from the ocean
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark + Cheap Radio Shack + Whites DF PI + Aquasound
Mat,
Perhaps I am the one who is confused..... Last year and the year before, I hunted on the beach at Hunting Island, State Park, and Edisto Beach State Park, both South of Charleston. Neither park allows you to hunt in the park itself, but I was told you are allowed to hunt on the beach. I have camped at Huntington Beach SP south of Myrtle Beach several years ago, but did not hunt at that time. However, I did not see any sign saying you could not MD on the beach. However, I assume you are not allowed to hunt in the park itself or in the dunes, which are protected nesting areas or erosion control areas on most beaches. If I were you, I would bring my detector and get clarification when you get there if you feel you need to. If for some reason, they have changed the rules at Huntington Beach SP or even all state parks in SC, you are still allowed to hunt on all public beaches that I know of in SC, including Myrtle Beach. Hope this helps. HH Ralph

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread