Valentines Soda

SODABOTTLEBOB

Silver Member
Sep 20, 2009
Southern California
Re: Valentine's Soda

Rich ~

I followed up on warsawdaddy's lead regarding Valentine's Diners, which is a great lead by the way and may very well connect us to something, and found the website below. I have only read through portions of it so far and found no mention of them ever producing a soda pop, but there is still a possibility that they did. At the bottom of their home page are various links that I have not looked into yet. Perhaps others will assist me here in going through it and see if they can find something I missed or have not stumbled onto yet. I think it's a great lead and worth looking into.

SBB

Valentine's Diners Link: http://www.kshs.org/p/history-of-valentine-diners/10396

Attachments

• Valentine\'s Diner Postcard 1950s (650x424).jpg
    Valentine\'s Diner Postcard 1950s (650x424).jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 381

SODABOTTLEBOB

Silver Member
Sep 20, 2009
Southern California

Arthur and Ella Valentine ... circa 1930. I zoomed in on this photo to see if I could find any evidence of a "Valentine's Soda" but did not find anything definite.. (However, that sign on the back wall sure looks interesting). Plus, there are other brands shown in bottles that I can't quite make out either. It is of the interior of one of their original diners. I don't want to get too carried away with speculation, but it may be as they say, "Where there's smoke there's fire." Meaning there may very well be a connection between these diners and the soda.

Attachments

• Valentine, Arthur and Ella ca. 1930 (750x509).jpg
    Valentine, Arthur and Ella ca. 1930 (750x509).jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 383

SODABOTTLEBOB

Silver Member
Sep 20, 2009
Southern California

Rich ~

Below is a slightly better picture of the bottle I got from the e-bay listing. Plus, I also got this copy/pasted text from the description part. Do you know what they are referring to regarding the "raised lettering" name and address?

Bob

"In raised lettering with the name and address and at center the monogram logo this old bottle remains clear, but has crack in the back neck with no loss of glass."

Attachments

• Valentine\'s Soda Bottle enlargement (275x650).jpg
    Valentine\'s Soda Bottle enlargement (275x650).jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 376

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

May Just be Imperfections But Possably
Behind Here ?

Valentine\'s_Soda_Bottle_enlargement_(275x650).jpg

Valentine\'s_Soda_Bottle_enlargement_(275x650).jpg

SODABOTTLEBOB

Silver Member
Sep 20, 2009
Southern California

Rich ~

I think the e-bay description was referring to something on the base. It could be a slight variation of yours that had additional information on it. It's hard to say. But I seriously doubt anything would be hidden in the orange-peel texture of the mid-section.

I wish I could tell you more, but this one is a doozy. The only thing I can add at the moment is ...

1. Those types of soda bottles almost always contained various fruit flavors like strawberry - grape - lemon, etc. The flavor would also have been indicated on the cap. Which is also where the bottler's information would have been.

2. Being as there is an apostrophe in the word "Valentine's" it indicates a last name as opposed to a Valintine card or something like that.

3. The Chattanooga, Tennessee Glass Company connection doesn't necessarily mean it was a Tennessee brand. But it may have been. It could very easily have been made in Chattanooga, but sold in another city or even another state.

4. I will stake my reputation on it as having been made sometime between the late 1940s to the late 1950s. Which is what I would call circa 1955.

Otherwise that's about all I have at the moment. I'm not ready to throw the towel in just yet, but it's getting close. I love doing soda bottle research, but eight hours on any particular item is about all that my 59 year old patience will allow. Lol :tongue3:

I will let you know right away if I find anything else. I hate being stumped like this, but sometimes it happens. I have a list of over 9,000 confirmed brand names for soda pop, and only a portion of those does anyone really know all that much about. So don't feel bad. We are not alone here. Value? Who knows? Demand is usually what dictates that, and not necessarily rarity.

Based on an educated guess, and if in great condition, I'd say you have a solid $50 bottle there. More if it can de "confirmed" rare and there ends up being a high demand for it!

Sincerely,

Bob

OP
OP
S

SammyRye

Greenie
Mar 27, 2011

Bob - Thanks a bunch for the time you're putting into this! I personally don't have the information resources that you do, so it's of great help and value to me.

Jeff - Looking at the photos you posted, it does indeed look like ghost scripting on the bottle. Again, as you said, it could just be an imperfection.

I put my bottle under the lighted magnifying glass again and looked at everything - there is nothing where Jeff's photos might indicate. My bottle is very clear, with no imperfections in the glass, so it would show up clearly.

The mystery continues! BTW Bob, I just hit the big 6-0 this week, so I know what you mean!

Thanks - Rich

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Although it Dosn't mean Much
Except maybe bottle date,
& Manufacturer which I Believe is Known.

Only Similar I found was Orange Crush

Valentine\'s_Soda_from_TreasureNet_(197x400).jpg 2580787973_80790bfa31.jpg

& Even that's not Exact

OP
OP
S

SammyRye

Greenie
Mar 27, 2011

Okay - As of now, I'm making the assumption that this is, indeed, a rare bottle. There doesn't seem to be any available information on it - only that it exists. It may not have been a soda bottle, as it says "beverage". From the markings on the bottom, it was made in 1957 by the Chattanooga Glass Company, and could have been bottled anywhere. The bottle is in excellant condition, with no chips or cracks, the glass is clear and the paint is in "as new" condition - especially the bottom.

From all of these assumptions, if I should decide to sell it, where does one sell these bottles at? Ebay, or is there a better place? Is there a "for sale" section here? If I sell, I'm looking for top dollar.

Thanks to all for your help on this,
Rich

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Again this is Only My opinion.

It is Indeed Rare because at least to the Internet
it appears to be an Unknown.

Problem with Ebay I see only 4 Key Words

Valentine's (Would probably only come up for Women
Looking for Gifts or crafts )

Bottle (Would bring up 10's of Thousands of bottles)

Chattanooga Glass Company ( ? )

Rare (Subjective & Over used by sellers on EBay)

non of which I would think, Support alot of
Searches that will find it.

. So unfortunately without
a Definate City location* for the Distributor,
to entice locals, it's not going to get alot of notice.

* post the add with every state name
& every City Name in the U.S. on your EBay add. Then add this May be from your Town :laughing7: .
& Ask to be contacted if it is :P
You may get a Bite.

Harry Pristis

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2009
Northcentral Florida

"ACL soda"; "Valentine's"; and "Chattanooga" are key words that will get all the hits you need on eBay.

I don't think you can do better than on eBay. Top dollar is whatever the top bidder offers beyond your reserve price.

Or, you can save the hassle, and sell it to 'Gleaner1' for whatever you can negotiate. The value of the bottle is unknown, and is to be determined between a wiling buyer and a willing seller. Any other value ascribed to the bottle is pure speculation.

SODABOTTLEBOB

Silver Member
Sep 20, 2009
Southern California

Rich ~

If I were to list it on e-bay I would word it as follows ...

VALENTINE'S / ACL / SODA BOTTLE

1. Include multiple, good pictures.
2. Describe condition accurately.
3. Be honest about "possible" rarity. Explain that research produced no results.
4. In the decription part list anything and everything you can think of to generate interest, like possible rarity - Chattanooga Glass, etc; etc;

Please be reminded that rarity does not always translate to high value. It's true what Harry says about the word "rare" being abused on e-bay. But even bottles that are truly rare do not always command high dollars. Demand - Demand - Demand is usually what dictates value. If there is no demand, and collectors, myself included, are unsure and sceptical, rarely will they "gamble" on an unknown and unconfirmed bottle. At least not for a lot of money.

You can always put a reserve on it and see what happens. At least that way you will know what the interest in it might be, but not risk giving it away .

Good luck. And please let us know if and where you list it.

Thanks,

Bob

SODABOTTLEBOB

Silver Member
Sep 20, 2009
Southern California

Additionally ...

Your best case scenario on e-bay would be for at least two or more collectors who absolutely, positively know something about the bottle, and who may have seen it sell elsewhere, like at a bottle show, to see it and bid against each other on it. And by listing it with the reserve I mentioned, it should give you some idea regarding any possible interest in it.

And even if one of those so called "interested individuals" is reading this now, and knows the bottle to be rare and valuable, they are very unlikely to come forward and tell you that. Why would they? If you could get a $200.00 for $35.00, would you tell the entire internet world about it?

It's a bit of a quandry.

Bob

SODABOTTLEBOB

Silver Member
Sep 20, 2009
Southern California

creeper71 ~

Involving other inquiries, I have sent numerous messages to those folks. Plus I know of other collectors who have done the same thing. As far as I know they are in a state of limbo and have not responded to inquiries in many months. There has been talk over the past couple of years regarding a fourth edition of their acl book, but that seems to have dissolved as well.

One of their main people has had some serious health problems, which appears to be one of the primary reasons why they fell below the radar. But I suppose it wouldn't hurt to try.

SBB

creeper71

Silver Member
Dec 5, 2007
South Central PA

SODABOTTLEBOB said:
creeper71 ~

Involving other inquiries, I have sent numerous messages to those folks. Plus I know of other collectors who have done the same thing. As far as I know they are in a state of limbo and have not responded to inquiries in many months. There has been talk over the past couple of years regarding a fourth edition of their acl book, but that seems to have dissolved as well.

One of their main people has had some serious health problems, and that appears to be one of the primary reasons why the fell below the radar. But I suppose it wouldn't hurt to try.

SBB
Ok, Bob.. I didn't know that ,but If I was the poster to this thread I would just keep the bottle until I found out more about it.. It's not going to go down in value ...

SODABOTTLEBOB

Silver Member
Sep 20, 2009
Southern California

I suppose this is as good a time as any to mention that I am an extremely active member on another bottle website. It is called "Antique-Bottles.net." It is where most of the countries top bottle and soda collectors hang out. I personally have posted dozens of forum threads, as well as hundreds of replies. I am known there as ...

SODAPOPBOB

Recently, I posted a thread on the Valentine's bottle. But unfortunately it got very few replies. I suspect the reason was, like us here, most of the collector's there are not familiar with it. I guarantee if anyone there knew anything about it, they would have said so. This "suggest" rarity, but no necessarily value or interest in buying it.

Here's a direct link to the inquiry I posted ...

http://www.antique-bottles.net/forum/"VALENTINE'S"-ACL-ID-HELP-NEEDED/m-397232/tm.htm

SODABOTTLEBOB

Silver Member
Sep 20, 2009
Southern California

Here is a perfect example of an e-bay "reserve" acl soda bottle that I have been wanting for years and years. But one that rarely comes up for sale. The last one that I know of sold for about $500.00, and was in mint condition. Check it out. The way I found it recently was searching through the approximately 400 listings under the title of ...

ACL SODA BOTTLE

Check it out!

Link:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...akeTrack=true&ssPageName=VIP:watchlink:top:en

The one shown below is the "mint" one that sold in the past. The one currently on e-bay is well below this grade. And although under the reserve, it still has a current bid of $124.70. Talk about rarity and demand ... this one is a true-blue example!

Attachments

• Kidd\'s Cola.jpg
    Kidd\'s Cola.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 277

SODABOTTLEBOB

Silver Member
Sep 20, 2009
Southern California

Additionally ...

Here is an example of an "extremely" rare acl soda bottle that I purchased recently. Notice the totally crappy condition. And yet, for us Southern California collectors it is a "must have!" This acl is so rare, and in such high demand locally, that I know collectors willing to pay as much as $1000.00 for one in mint near-condition. I didn't pay near that price for this one, but I still paid a lot. The odds of me ever finding another example (in any condition) are about a million to one! This is a good example of when "rarity and demand" outweigh "condition."

SBB

{30-Below} One of three different bottlers. This one is ... "Eastside Distributors" San Bernardino - San Diego, Calif. I'd rather not say how much I paid for it, but even in this condition it is valued at about $200.00.

Attachments

• 30-Below resized (213x650).jpg
    30-Below resized (213x650).jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 282

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread