Valhalla New York remains unearthed

submerged

May 20, 2005
Fishkill N.Y.
I am a contractor working for the Department of Envronmental Protetction (DEP) in Valhalla NY. Attached are pics of the site where artifacts and bones have recently been found. The placard memorial is just 100' south of where we are excavating a very large area for a building. The state has brought in resident archaeologists and anthropologists to excavate and document many recent artifacts. The trenches you see now filled with rainwater are the areas dug containing the artifacts. Each trench is several hundred feet long and five feet wide barricaded with concrete barriers. Each red flag is the location of an artifact found in the first 1.5 feet of machine excavated spoils. All artifacts are logged as to depth, orientation, size and composition in the remaining trench excavated by hand. The state is still compiling a field report which will be released in the future. The job will go on without any delays within the dig site as well. If this was a private construction site the state would have shut it down with a possibility of new construction to commence in the year to follow. But as we all know when the state or local govt. is involved anything goes as long as it is in their favor. Also in the 1920's this site was excavated and remains were moved to another area but not as the placard depicts. It is amazing that they buried friend and foe together in a mass grave. This is a secure site as we are excavating down to the tunnel 300' deep that carries all the domestic water to New York city and putting a 4000' x 4000' building over it in the years to come so terrorism is a major concern with the DEP and New York State I will follow up when the field report is released. So far there has been no press releases or media probably due to the security or other site specific issues.

Attachments

• jsw_dscf0018.jpg
    jsw_dscf0018.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 425
  • jsw_dscf0019.jpg
    jsw_dscf0019.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 433
  • jsw_dscf0024.jpg
    jsw_dscf0024.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 434
  • jsw_dscf0025.jpg
    jsw_dscf0025.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 424
  • jsw_dscf0026.jpg
    jsw_dscf0026.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 422
Upvote 0

kg6yll

Oct 10, 2006
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Nice post keep us up to speed on what happens

Rockfshr

May 22, 2005
Hampton Roads VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"The state has brought in resident archaeologists and anthropologists to excavate and document many recent artifacts"
Good thing nobody has metal detected this site and looted a bullet or God forbid a buckle. The archaeologists would want someone hanged.
Sorry pun intended, the bones need to be properly buried and documented. :-X

Postalrevnant

Silver Member
Jul 5, 2006
Mountains
Thank you for the post Submerged. It is certainly an interesting story. I had not heard anything about this. I will be looking forward to your other posts in regards to this.

Rev

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread