Valley Turnpike

montgomeryjrm

Nov 28, 2007
Gainesville, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab ex II, Whites eagle II, Whites spectrum xlt
Ok I was surfing the internet the other night. And I found something on the Valley Turnpike. Now the information I found is somewhat vague. Does anyone that frequents this place know what/where this thing was located. The one article I read said there were toll booths every 5 or ten miles. This seems like a potential gold mine. But then again I might be pissing up a rope. :tard:

borninok

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2007
Kerrville, TX
Detector(s) used
White's DFX: Minelab Excalibur 1000
Excerpt for Wikipedia:

"The Valley Pike was a key transportation link during the American Civil War, and was used by Confederate General Stonewall Jackson to expedite his foot cavalry up and down the Valley and to and from the various mountain gaps (such as Swift Run Gap and Thornton Gap) which he used to make sudden appearances in front of Union troops in the Piedmont region on the east side of the Blue Ridge Mountains.

In 1918, The Valley Turnpike Company, which had been managed by a young Harry Flood Byrd, allowed the Valley Turnpike to be one of the first roads taken over by the state. It was designated as part of State Route 3, one of the routes of the state highway system managed by the State Highway Commisson.

The Valley Turnpike was given the U.S. Route 11 designation in 1926, and remained the major north-south highway thoroughfare for the Shenandoah Valley until Interstate 81 was built beginning in the 1960s. Today, the road carries much local traffic, and provides an alternative to the busy Interstate Highway."

---Mel

borninok

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What you need to do is get an old Housesite Map of the area between 1860 and 1900. Those toll booths will be listed on your map, most likely. Track them down, get permission, and hunt a couple of them. I can't tell you whether they will be good spots or not, but I will tell you that if it were me, I'd track them down in a heartbeat.

Regards,

Buckleboy

OP
OP
montgomeryjrm

montgomeryjrm

Nov 28, 2007
Gainesville, VA
Detector(s) used
Little new at checking out all these maps and such where can I find the housesite maps? Or is this something I should already know.

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You should set up a tent, couch, trailer, fire pit, and ten days' worth of provisions at the public library in the town where the county seat is--or better yet at a university library if there is one close by. It's all there. If you want to find the good, Old stuff--you'll see so many leads that your head will spin. Take notes, and be sure to write down what resources you used so that you can find them again if you need to.

Let us know how it goes.

-Buckleboy

OP
OP
montgomeryjrm

montgomeryjrm

Nov 28, 2007
Gainesville, VA
Detector(s) used
Just got through doing a little search on it again, there seems to be a small museum dedicated to it, guess I know where I will be tomorrow. As far as the research goes in a public library I was afraid it would come to that. But thanks for all the advice. On another note when I drive down rt 11 I do see what seems to be the remains of an old roadbed in the cow pastures. This is what really got me interested. I remember when I was younger relic hunting with dad in/around old roadbeds. I guess he taught me something after all, I still remember to look for the signs. Will let you all know how it goes.

Thanks guys.

borninok

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2007
Kerrville, TX
Detector(s) used
White's DFX: Minelab Excalibur 1000
Before you hit the library, "Google" search "Valley Turnpike, Virginia" and you will find tons and tons and tons of info on the Valley Turnpike, all without leaving the comforts of your home. I just took a gander at some of the various items.............you'd do well to start your initial research here on the computer. I couldn't believe how specific some of the references were.

Besides.......comforts of your home.....bathroom....kitchen.....bed............beer. :thumbsup:
--Mel

borninok

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Re: Valley Turnpike... Rt. 11 - Shenandoah Valley, Va.

:coffee2: :thumbsup: HA! It is today's Rt. 11 from Winchester, Va. SOUTH to Roanoke, Va. It was known as the Warriors' Path... Colonial Highway from Pennsylvania, Maryland into the GREAT VALLEY of Virginia. Was born and raised in the GREAT VALLEY, and remember it well... LOTS of history. "Toll booths" were set up to MAINTAIN the Colonial Highway... from Winchester, Va. to Roanoke (THEN known as BIG LICK), Va. ANY history of the Shenandoah Valley will tell you this. :wink:

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
HA! THAT was in 2008! BEST book is THE GREAT WAGON ROAD by Park Rouse, Jr.; "From Philadelphia to the South". Rt. 11 WAS the main road "back then"... the GREAT VALLEY TURNPIKE... READ ON! HH!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread