Valuable Compact Discs

SDIceMan

Nov 12, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been striking out lately in the departments I normally frequent in thrift stores, and when all else fails and I find myself empty handed, I have been gravitating towards the CDs section of my local stores in a last ditch effort to wring some profit out of my visit.

The other day it paid off when I found a classical CD by a Mexican composer named Arturo Marquez. The album was "unavailable" on Amazon and a few other sites, so I bought it for $1 and listed it on eBay for $99.95 (just took a shot in the dark) while sitting in the car. It sold by the time I woke up the next morning! Cha-ching!

That quick turnaround and tasty profit got me thinking about the $ potential of some CDs. Now, for every Arturo Marquez homerun, I have half a dozen CDs that aren't worth a dime. But a trend I noticed on eBay is that the gold compact discs by a company named "DCC Compact Classics" are consistently worth good money.

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1493947279.925477.jpg

DCC remastered classic albums on 24k Gold Discs for audiophiles. They sold for around $25 when in print (more for doubles) and some now go for a lot of cash. The company folded right after 9-11. Here is a list of the valuable gold albums (they released some standard albums that aren't worth much) released by DCC:

http://rateyourmusic.com/list/orangebeaker/dcc_gold_cds___complete_list/

I searched online for any tips for quickly scanning CD spines on the rack at a thrift and spotting potentially valuable ones. Someone offered this tidbit in regards to the DCC CDs discussed above:

"The DCC spines are gold with "DCC" in black in the bottom (fancy text). The MoFi spines are black with white writing with "MFSL" at the bottom."

I'll have to do more research regarding "MoFi". It doesn't mean much to me at this point.

Another tip I discovered is this:

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1493946831.942388.jpg

"If you ever see any CDs at a Goodwill for a buck or two and the spines resemble these in the photo, I'd buy them no matter what the title! ;) If you see a CBS/Sony title with a black spine and a red or blue dot, those are usually first press Japanese CDs from the 80's and highly collectible."

Again, I'll probably have to do a little more research on the advice in that quote, but it could prove to be valuable info when scanning those Thrift Store/Estate Sale CD racks.

Feel free to add your own tips and tricks to spotting valuable albums. Thanks and happy hunting!

Last edited:

WhiteTornado

Jun 18, 2013
Baltimore/DC area
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Cibola, Garrett Pro-pointer, Sampson T-handle Shovel, Lesche hand digger, Garrett and Gray Ghost Ultimate headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the tip. I vaguely remember those 24K gold discs when they came out. Didn't think much of them at the time.

Mudflap

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
Wallingford, Connecticut 1667
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Dual Field, CZ-21, Vaquero, Home Brewed (3).
Detecting since 1972.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the tips. I have several of those laying around. I think Pink Floyd The Wall is one of them.

OP
OP
SDIceMan

SDIceMan

Nov 12, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd sure like to have a Pink Floyd The Wall 24k Gold Disc laying around! Great sold prices on eBay! Seem to average right around $100, some lower and higher, depending on the packaging and inserts being present.

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting. I might give it a try

Justen

Feb 16, 2009
MoFi and MSFL both stand for Mobile Fidelity Sound labs. They make very high quality remasters and are sought after by audiophiles.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread