Vancouvers anchor?

seekerGH

Jan 25, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
These guys are thinking they found the anchor from a ship in Vancouvers expedition to Puget Sound in 1792. They believe that the anchor was from the HMS Chatham, an armed tender to the HMS Discovery, the expedition’s flagship.

Texas AM told them it says at 2,425 pounds, it’s about 1,000 pounds heavier than anchors used in those years. Looks like they have spent a ton of cash on this anchor (like $70grand :icon_scratch:) ...British anchors of the time had straight arms, not that things were always getting mixed around? The chain is suspect, but not certain when they went to that type, and how common it was.

what do you guys think?

1249a704-4328-11e6-baf5-3c1e1b76058b-780x522.jpg

Capt. George Vancouver?s anchor? Salvagers hope so | The Seattle Times

Last edited:

TreasureCDave

Jun 5, 2015
Florida Treasure Coast
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
These guys are thinking they found the anchor from a ship in Vancouvers expedition to Puget Sound in 1792. They believe that the anchor was from the HMS Chatham, an armed tender to the HMS Discovery, the expedition’s flagship.

Texas AM told them it says at 2,425 pounds, it’s about 1,000 pounds heavier than anchors used in those years. Looks like they have spent a ton of cash on this anchor (like $70grand :icon_scratch:) ...British anchors of the time had straight arms, not that things were always getting mixed around? The chain is suspect, but not certain when they went to that type, and how common it was.

what do you guys think?

View attachment 1333739

Capt. George Vancouver?s anchor? Salvagers hope so | The Seattle Times

Living in San Antonio for years, I had been to the College station many times and students there were called farmers. I also saw the waterfront campus in Corpus Christi when I went there or Port Aransas and wondered what they did there.

Now I know :)

Thanks for the anchor .pdf as well.

-Dave

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread