0121stockpicker

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2012
MA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
BosnMate said:
This morning I caught just a bit of the story. Somewhere in California vandals defaced some Indian rock carvings or paintings. Anyone on here know what the story is?

Rock carvings that graced a sacred American Indian site in California's Sierra Nevada for thousands of years have fallen prey to modern thieves armed with power saws.

At least four petroglyphs — some 2 feet wide and located 15 feet above the ground — were hacked from lava cliffs in the Eastern Sierra, the Los Angeles Times ( http://lat.ms/Q3YdXQ ) reported Sunday.

Visitors to the area, known as Volcanic Tableland, discovered the theft and reported it to the federal Bureau of Land Management on Oct. 31.

"This was the worst act of vandalism ever seen" on the 750,000 acres of public land administered by the BLM field office in Bishop, BLM archaeologist Greg Haverstock told the newspaper.

The thieves must have used ladders, electric generators and power saws. In addition to the four carvings that were stolen, one was defaced with deep saw cuts on three sides, and another was removed but apparently broke during the theft and was left propped against a boulder near a visitor parking lot.

More than 3,500 years ago, Native Americans carved pictures of hunters, deer and other animals, and geometric and other designs into a half-mile-long volcanic escarpment. The images adorn hundreds of lava boulders.

The petroglyphs are probably worth only about $500 to $1,500 on the illegal art market but are priceless to American Indians, authorities said.

"We still use this sacred place as a kind of church to educate tribal members and children about our historical and spiritual connections," Paiute tribal historic preservation officer Raymond Andrews said. "So, our tribal elders are appalled by what happened here."

Volunteers have stepped up surveillance at the site, which is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The BLM is offering a $1,000 reward for information leading to arrests. A first-time felony conviction for damaging or removing petroglyphs can carry a one-year prison sentence and a $20,000 fine.

Meanwhile, federal officials and American Indian leaders plan to mark the damage with signs noting that it was done by, as Haverstock put it, "malicious, selfish individuals."

DocBeav

Bronze Member
Jul 8, 2012
SE Va
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab CTX 3030 (17", 11", 6" coils), Minelab Excalibur 800, Minelab Excalibur 1000 (w/OBN's Remote Pinpoint mod and CTX headphone connector)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unreal eh? Hope they catch the morons responsible and give them the max punishment!

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unfortunatly isnt uncommon.I thought I was doing the right thing when I was a kid and told a Ranger about some,,,,next time I went back they were gone.I know where hundreds are and will never show anyone again

OP
OP
BosnMate

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks Stockpicker, I hope the butt heads do time and are fined big bucks. Some people just don't have any brains.

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Might be some bad things come down on them for removing those. Lots of petroglyphs really are just idle artwork, some are informational, and others aren't intended to be readily decipherable to the casual observer and might have what you could call a sacred importance and were tied to that particular place. I do not personally believe in buying or selling native american artifacts but as long as that market exists this sort of crime will happen. Before I get complained on, I do believe there is a BIG difference in selling and making some money on say a Clovis point you legally came by and selling stuff you outright stole.

able_walker

Jun 25, 2007
Stolen rock paintings in the house!?......Sounds like "Poltergeist" to me....bad Karma for sure.

Mzjavert

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The petroglyphs are probably worth only about $500 to $1,500 on the illegal art market but are priceless to American Indians, authorities said.

I think the "authorities" have no clue as to the value. You wouldn't go to that much effort bringing in trucks and generators and specialty saws for $500 an image. These guys probably had buyers lined up for big bucks before they stepped foot onto the property.

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
I live about 8 miles from a huge collection of petroglyphs. I used to run my dog there and ran into many things from drunks recovering from hangovers, guys shooting abandoned cars and trash dumping. Some years later the area became a National Monument. By the time Monument status happened homes had already been built up to where the petros began.
Even with it's status I can imagine some "harvesting" the rocks. The part of the collection that was developed as a monument is a very small part of the whole. I don't know if the petros were safer before the status changed or not. I would spend hours there before and very rarely saw anyone else. Not sure many even knew it was there.

onfire

Silver Member
Nov 30, 2004
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
250 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess these lasted the first 33 hundred years because of 4 stakes some leather straps and a large ant hill. Later on 13 steps were invented.(with a small trap door.) When were we coned into thinking punishment is 3 squares, a bed, T.V ,weight lifting equipment, coffee Etc. I say teach our young Do something wrong and you can still live without your fingers except when picking your nose.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread