Vaquero and 8x10 DD coil and discing Memorial pennies :icon_scratch:

Tony (Michigan)

May 17, 2017
Lapeer County, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Explorer, E-trac, Muskateer, Tesoro, Deus, White's, Detech, DMC IIb, and others
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was out today to try the 8 x 10 DD coil in the Vaquero. Even though there is a disc for Memorial pennies,
I had the disc up as far as it would go and I was still hitting on those buggars and digging them. Anyone else notice this? :icon_scratch:

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
We all have.
Look at the dates, they changed to zinc cents about the middle of 1982 and those and all that came after should disc out about the 3:00 area.
The ones from the first half of 82 and back are copper and those won't disc out...nor will wheat back cents that came before.

OP
OP
Tony (Michigan)

Tony (Michigan)

May 17, 2017
Lapeer County, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
We all have.
Look at the dates, they changed to zinc cents about the middle of 1982 and those and all that came after should disc out about the 3:00 area.
The ones from the first half of 82 and back are copper and those won't disc out...nor will wheat back cents that came before.
You are right about that. On my Vaq, If I run the disc just a hair before what pointing to "Max", I can disc out very modern Zincs. I forgot about the 82 date change. Thanks!

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bad thing is if you disc out zincs, you also disc out the Indian head cents....just a thought.

OP
OP
Tony (Michigan)

Tony (Michigan)

May 17, 2017
Lapeer County, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Bad thing is if you disc out zincs, you also disc out the Indian head cents....just a thought.

That would be weird to dig up a real Indian head. LOL

I'll have to check that out. I have a fatty I.H. and regular I.H. somewhere.

Stoof2010

Jul 12, 2016
S.E. Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't mind digging early pennies at all. Copper is always good in my book. But the newer ones can get irritating but they are also easiest for people to drop and even easier nowadays for people to not even pick up.
In the old days pennies we're worth more than they are now.
And the new ones turn to corroded crud withing a year or two In the ground.

Odd side topic...
When I dig older copper pennies I usually find any lol.
They seem to be attracted to the copper or something.
Weird

OP
OP
Tony (Michigan)

Tony (Michigan)

May 17, 2017
Lapeer County, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't mind digging early pennies at all. Copper is always good in my book. But the newer ones can get irritating but they are also easiest for people to drop and even easier nowadays for people to not even pick up.
In the old days pennies we're worth more than they are now.
And the new ones turn to corroded crud withing a year or two In the ground.

Odd side topic...
When I dig older copper pennies I usually find any lol.
They seem to be attracted to the copper or something.
Weird

People say it is impossible for George Washington to have thrown a silver dollar across the Potomac.
But little do they know that a dollar went a lot further in his day.
:laughing7:

DiamondDan

Apr 21, 2016
Robbinsdale, MN
Detector(s) used
White's M6; Tesoro Compadre; Minelab E-trac; Bounty Hunter QD2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Those zinc cents drive me nuts. I get pissed when I work really hard searching a plug and one comes up. I've gotten good enough with my White's that I can tell them right off the bat. In tone mode they make a really distinct "squall". That's the only way I know how to describe it. Nothing else I've ever dug has made that sound. I do dig them with my Tesoro, however, cause that's my set-and-forget machine. Jewelry, baby.:icon_thumright:

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
There are a lot of things that come up in the zinc area besides good or rotten zincolns, junk jewelry, toy cars, old tokens and more.
I used to dig all solid zinc signals but on some hunts I don't do that nowadays, still, there is one target that comes in at just about the same area as those stinking zincolns I never want to miss...large gold rings like a couple of big 10k class rings I have found with my Tesoros.
Same high school, same rings, different years found in two different parks in extreme trash.

ring 2-3.jpg

Luckily, and I have mentioned thus before, on these units big gold like that has a very unique sound like no other, if you hear it one time you very likely will never forget it.
I have dug thousands of targets using this brand but this sound I have only heard twice in my life, the first time I didn't know what it was, the second time it rocked me back on my heels the instant I heard it.
On my screen units these come in at zinc but about 10 numbers lower than actual zinc cents.
On my Vaq and Compadre both rings I found disced out at the exact same area as a normal zincolns, 3:00.
Don't know for sure but smaller, higher karat gold might emit that same rare tone like 22k and higher but I will let you know about that if I ever come across any with a Tesoro.
I know big 10k pieces will do it so if I am out hunting and feeling lazy and for whatever reason I don't feel like digging every zinc signal I come across I have full confidence I won't be missing this class of target...that sweet sound will give it away every time.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread