Vaquero GB knob has play in it?

ground pirate

Jan 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My Vaquero GB knob has a little play/wiggle in it. I read one thread where there was some dis agreement as to whether this was normal/acceptable or not. I live in Prescott so its not a big deal to drive to the factory but I'd rather not if its something that's considered normal for the Vaquero or Tesoro machines in general. It seems to work fine

Last edited:

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
My Vaquero GB knob has a little play/wiggle in it. I read one thread where there was some dis agreement as to whether this was normal/acceptable or not. I live in Prescott so its not a big deal to drive to the factory but I'd rather not if its something that's considered normal for the Vaquero or Tesoro machines in general. It seems to work fine
... Well for me it is this way if i had a detector with a little ...Play or Wiggle ... in a knob ...I would not consider this normal..... And i would send it back or take it in for them at the factory to look at....... If some one told me this is normal i would tell them it could be for you but it is not for me....

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you are close to the factory take it in for a look see. Tell us what happened.

jdiggs_treasure

Jan 12, 2013
northern california
Detector(s) used
Xp deus 11"x35/9"HF roundl/Mi6
Minelab equinox 800 11"& 6" coils
Killer b wasp headphones
Whites prostars
garrett carrot
Predator ranger shovel/raptor digger
Lesche t handle/ hand digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
your not alone..my ground balance knob has a very tiny wiggle as well.. let us know if u decide to have it checked out. because if i have to i will send mine in to get serviced.. unless of course its supposed to be like that.. my other knobs are tight so not sure whats up..

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
your not alone..my ground balance knob has a very tiny wiggle as well.. let us know if u decide to have it checked out. because if i have to i will send mine in to get serviced.. unless of course its supposed to be like that.. my other knobs are tight so not sure whats up..
...... I don't know what makes you think it is supposed to be like that..... If some one tells you it is to be like that they are full of crap ...... If someone at the factory tell's you that they are full of crap also.........

OP
OP
G

ground pirate

Jan 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm going to head out there this morning

jdiggs_treasure

Jan 12, 2013
northern california
Detector(s) used
Killer b wasp headphones
Whites prostars
garrett carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
...... I don't know what makes you think it is supposed to be like that..... If some one tells you it is to be like that they are full of crap ...... If someone at the factory tell's you that they are full of crap also.........

first of all..i never said that i thought it was supposed to be like that... take it easy there keppy...

hey ground pirate let us know how it goes... thanks..

OP
OP
G

ground pirate

Jan 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I stopped by the factory and had them check it out-They said it is fine the way it is.
I work in the control room of a tv station so I'm turning knobs and dials all day. It didnt seem right to me, but if they say its ok, that's good enough for me-

jdiggs_treasure

Jan 12, 2013
northern california
Detector(s) used
Killer b wasp headphones
Whites prostars
garrett carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hey thanks for he update ground pirate.. on my vaquero its barely even noticeable.. knob works so im good with it.. unless it starts to get worse of course then off to tesoro it goes..
HH

OP
OP
G

ground pirate

Jan 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hey thanks for he update ground pirate.. on my vaquero its barely even noticeable.. knob works so im good with it.. unless it starts to get worse of course then off to tesoro it goes..
HH

Your welcome. I'm with you, if it gets worse I'll just take it back. It does seem as much as that knob will get used that I'll know pretty quick if its going to get worse.

jdiggs_treasure

Jan 12, 2013
northern california
Detector(s) used
Killer b wasp headphones
Whites prostars
garrett carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hopefully it doesn't get worse though... only time will tell.. thanks again GP
HH

Big Dig

Sep 16, 2009

Hi Keppy (and ground pirate)
There may be some degree of play/wiggle in the ground balance pot. As a former employee, Vince Gifford (Tesoro’s owner and engineer) and I discussed this subject at length due to a prior post on this or another forum that starts with ‘F’, several years ago. It is normal on the ground balance knob/pot to have a LITTLE play compared to the other knobs on Tesoro detectors, since is spins continuously, forever.

If the nut that holds the pot on to the face plate is loose, it should of course be re-tightened. I can understand why someone would be concerned about this, but there is no need to be concerned unless it is affecting the performance of your detector. Typically, you don’t wiggle your pot while detecting…you just spin/turn it.

Just for fun, I wiggled the knobs on my Denon stereo, oven/stove, and the scroll wheel on my mouse...all have some play. If you can find something with knobs in your home, check it out…wiggle them. If there is not any (zero) tolerance for spinning the shaft/knob, your knobs could be difficult to move. The pots/knobs on my Lobo St do not wiggle…BUT, there is no ground balance pot…the tolerances are tighter because they do not spin forever like the ground balance pot, according to Vince.

Since you (Keppy) said the employees would be lying if they said this was normal, I had to step in and say something. It is normal, and Tesoro employees do not lie. As you know, Tesoro will replace the pot if it is defective.

I have no interests in defending Tesoro…except I know how hard they try to produce high quality, zero deffect products.

Having said that, I always appreciate and enjoy reading your posts Keppy.

Respectfully,
Big Dig

Last edited:

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
OK if you say so....But my bud runs a Vaquero and no play in his knobs....... There is no play in my Sovereigns knobs..... My self i would not be happy with a detector that had any play or wiggle in the knobs........ It would drive me crazy...... For in my way of thinking there would always be something wrong with my detector if it was like that..........

Big Dig

Sep 16, 2009
OK if you say so....But my bud runs a Vaquero and no play in his knobs....... There is no play in my Sovereigns knobs..... My self i would not be happy with a detector that had any play or wiggle in the knobs........ It would drive me crazy...... For in my way of thinking there would always be something wrong with my detector if it was like that..........

Hi Keppy,
The play is not even noticeable when you spin the knob...check out your buddy's Vaquero if you have the opportunity, spin the knob and you will not feel it wiggle. You literally have to grab the knob and FORCE it to wiggle back and forth, not sure why some people do this on occasion...ground pirate was probably just do his/her own quality control check. The Disc, Sens, etc do not have any play, only the GB knob/shaft.

I completely agree with you Keppy, it would drive me crazy too, IF it wiggled while detecting!! But, when you spin the GB knob under ‘normal’ operating/detecting conditions, it does not wiggle. The GB knob is NOT a switch; so, if the user doesn’t treat it like a switch by wiggling it back and forth or up and down, you will never notice the ‘perceived’ issue. If Vince thought there was an issue with the GB pot, the way it is engineered or assembled, he would halt production rather than put defective or substandard parts on a detector(s)….there is no use putting a lifetime warranty on substandard parts, it costs the company too much $$$ in both the long and short-term.

Have a good weekend...

Last edited:
OP
OP
G

ground pirate

Jan 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is a semi crappy quality video I made of the movement- I trust the Tesoro team when they tell me its ok, but without the benefit of the experience in using a Tesoro manual GB knob, I can only go by what its like with other knobs I have used. I will live with it and if it breaks I have the luxury of being close to the factory.

CLIP0002 - YouTube

Big Dig

Sep 16, 2009
Here is a semi crappy quality video I made of the movement- I trust the Tesoro team when they tell me its ok, but without the benefit of the experience in using a Tesoro manual GB knob, I can only go by what its like with other knobs I have used. I will live with it and if it breaks I have the luxury of being close to the factory.

CLIP0002 - YouTube

I never said I did not believe you, in fact, I confirmed what you are saying. In fact, I have built Vaqueros, and discussed it with Tesoro's engineer/owner and technician. In fact, I had this same discussion with another Tesoro customer when I worked there several years ago. You talked to Tesoro too….it’s normal. You are repeating an old thread on this forum…click on my name, Big Dig, to see the thread about this SAME subject.

Like I said above, you are pushing back and forth it like a switch in your video (WHY?)....there is no need to push it that HARD to get it to spin. Your video proves you are applying unnecessary force to the knob. YOU WIN, you proved your point that you have a strong thumb and you are pushing the knob like a switch instead of spinning. It does not take that much pressure to spin the knob, as other Vaquero users can confirm. There are THOUSANDS of Vaquero owners who do not complain about the GB knob….hmmm…that’s odd.

The other knobs (technically pots) you use at the TV station are not the same. It’s too bad you support your local business, who opts to continuing making products in the USA by posting your video on YouTube. At least Tesoro does not use substandard parts and manufacture in China or Malaysia.

I can do the same on my high end stereo, but I don't go trash Denon by posting a lame video to prove my point. I spin my knobs, not push them like a switch. There are some folks who just love to bash manufactures, whether it is Whites, Tesoro, Garret, etc....that's too bad. Does the ground balance work, YES! Is it defective-NO!

Check out 57silvers youtube video, he spins it like a knob, not a switch. That is the proper way to use the knob.

I could unstand if you posted you video because the manufacturer refused to fix a defective detector, but to post a video on a perfectly fine detector is shameful in my opinion.

OP
OP
G

ground pirate

Jan 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I never said I did not believe you, in fact, I confirmed what you are saying. In fact, I have built Vaqueros, and discussed it with Tesoro's engineer/owner and technician. In fact, I had this same discussion with another Tesoro customer when I worked there several years ago. You talked to Tesoro too….it’s normal. You are repeating an old thread on this forum…click on my name, Big Dig, to see the thread about this SAME subject.

Like I said above, you are pushing back and forth it like a switch in your video (WHY?)....there is no need to push it that HARD to get it to spin. Your video proves you are applying unnecessary force to the knob. YOU WIN, you proved your point that you have a strong thumb and you are pushing the knob like a switch instead of spinning. It does not take that much pressure to spin the knob, as other Vaquero users can confirm. There are THOUSANDS of Vaquero owners who do not complain about the GB knob….hmmm…that’s odd.

The other knobs (technically pots) you use at the TV station are not the same. It’s too bad you support your local business, who opts to continuing making products in the USA by posting your video on YouTube. At least Tesoro does not use substandard parts and manufacture in China or Malaysia.

I can do the same on my high end stereo, but I don't go trash Denon by posting a lame video to prove my point. I spin my knobs, not push them like a switch. There are some folks who just love to bash manufactures, whether it is Whites, Tesoro, Garret, etc....that's too bad. Does the ground balance work, YES! Is it defective-NO!

Check out 57silvers youtube video, he spins it like a knob, not a switch. That is the proper way to use the knob.

I could unstand if you posted you video because the manufacturer refused to fix a defective detector, but to post a video on a perfectly fine detector is shameful in my opinion.

Hey!! It was definitely not my intention to trash Tesoro by posting the video. I'm only showing the movement of the pot and even possibly showing my ignorance on the subject- you took the posting of the video completely wrong- dial the rhetoric down a notch. I will remove the video if it offends you that much. I was just trying to show what I was talking about-

Last edited:

Big Dig

Sep 16, 2009
You are entitled to post whatever you want.

I wish you good luck with your detecting.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread