timelord

Sep 1, 2014
Sheboygan WI
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Fisher F5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is it me or are we always looking for a better detector? Right now I own a Safari an a Fisher F5 but for some reason I'm really interested in a Vaquero. Can anyone tell me is it just me wanting a different machine or will I enjoy getting a Vaquero? I have been detecting since I had 12 and owned home built Radio Shack to start, up to a Whites 6000Di/Pro then got back into detecting by buying the F5 and last year the Safari. The Safari is a real impressive machine so I'm not disappointed with it in any way. So my question is there any advantage in buying a Vaquero? Thanks in advance....

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nope, there is no real reason to get a Vaquero if you already own two great machines. Buy hey, don't let that stop you! :occasion14:

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently: CTX 3030, Tesoro Modded Cibola, F75LTD-2, XP Deus, Tesoro Mojave, MXT Pro, Tesoro Eldorado, Whites MXT All Pro, Minelab Equinox, Fisher CZ5 & CZ3D
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Terry is right, you don't need a Vaquero. You can do just fine with what you got. I've used, own, bought and sold a lot of different detectors searching for a detector that suits me best. Most of the detectors that I've used were good detectors and I found some really good stuff with them. However, the more I learned about detecting, masking, discrimination, recovery spend etc., the better I appreciated Tesoro detectors and their amazing abilities to find stuff that other detectors passed over.

I'm glad that I'm the only user of Tesoro detectors that I know of where I detect.:laughing7:

tabman

Captain Caveman

Silver Member
May 14, 2015
Madison, MS
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75SE, F44, F2 and CZ-20. Minelab E-TRAC and Go-Find 60. Tesoro Tejon. BH Quick Silver.
Primary Interest:
Other
I agree with Terry and Tabman. However, I think my F75 was good enough to do everything and I didn't really need another machine. I still bought the Tejon and love it. I will be buying more machines because I enjoy experiencing all aspects of everything I do. I will have a stable of detectors by this time next year. :tongue3:

So, I say if you want it and can afford it, buy it!

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If one of anything is good, two or more is even better, IMHO.
luvsdux

jld66

Oct 28, 2014
Maine
Detector(s) used
Vaquero with 8x11, 8x9, 5.75 concentric coils.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
if you have the money, go ahead and get a vaquero or even a tejon. just may find that you like it better and can get rid of something else.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I might have to have the blacked out version of the Vaquero! Looks pretty awesome

OP
OP
timelord

timelord

Sep 1, 2014
Sheboygan WI
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Fisher F5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like the Black version with the DD coil..... For fun every once in a while I will take the F5 and Safari out and run them over the same ground one after the other. Maybe I'll be doing that with Vaquero in the future......

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Current: Nokta Makro Simplex+, Teknetics Patriot, Fisher Gold Bug (original), GP Pinpointer (Garrett Clone) Lesche. Owned: Omega 8000, Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whit
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is it me or are we always looking for a better detector? Right now I own a Safari an a Fisher F5 but for some reason I'm really interested in a Vaquero. Can anyone tell me is it just me wanting a different machine or will I enjoy getting a Vaquero? I have been detecting since I had 12 and owned home built Radio Shack to start, up to a Whites 6000Di/Pro then got back into detecting by buying the F5 and last year the Safari. The Safari is a real impressive machine so I'm not disappointed with it in any way. So my question is there any advantage in buying a Vaquero? Thanks in advance....
It is highly doubtful you will find anything with the Vaquero that you missed with the F5 (& especially the Safari) those are 2 great machines that will outhunt or stand their ground with many. I would pick an F5 over a Vaquero, (I would have done that if I had it to do over again, but I chose a Vaquero) it is just much more versatile and offers so much more info, such as the real-time ground conditions & the audio quality is miles ahead of the V. If you do decide to try it, I would love to hear your results of back to back testing.

OP
OP
timelord

timelord

Sep 1, 2014
Sheboygan WI
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Fisher F5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for all the input. You never really know about another machine if you don't have it in your hands. All the videos showing how deep the Vaquero goes seems to always be with a known object and tuned or super tuned to pick the object up.

That's why I enjoy taking both the F5 and Safari out and run them over the same ground by going back to see if they missed anything. If I take the F5 out the Safari has found missed items but so far not the other way around. To the F5 credit it has found what other people have missed in well hunted parks, example a Barber dime but it was a squeaker....

So thanks again and if anyone has good experience with there Vaquero I would enjoy hearing about it.....

JOe L

Aug 24, 2007
Colonie, NY , That's around Albany
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra Pro.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Out of all the detectors I have owned and sold , the Vaquaro stays in the stable. Others come and go. I am waiting until I find the next keeper.

OP
OP
timelord

timelord

Sep 1, 2014
Sheboygan WI
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Fisher F5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
JOe L what other detectors were in the stable?

JOe L

Aug 24, 2007
Colonie, NY , That's around Albany
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra Pro.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
JOe L what other detectors were in the stable?
Many, BH Platnum, Cibola, Compadre, AT Pro, Ace 250, hmmm what else, oh, F5. May be more but,,,,, what were we talking about.:tongue3:

opps, Sea Hunter, Sand Shark and now testing out the DP Underwater.
Omega 8000, like it but, not sure if I have a permanent stall for it.

Added,,,, after today's hunt, the omega has found a permanent home with me and the Vaq.

Last edited:
OP
OP
timelord

timelord

Sep 1, 2014
Sheboygan WI
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Fisher F5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glad to see you have the same sickness as I do...... Really just nice to know what others have had in the past, that way you can tell someone not biased in there reply. Thanks for your post we will see if my prescription for my sickness is a Vaquaro.......

Welgund

Aug 27, 2014
Colorado
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, CTX 3030, CZ-6a, CZ 5, Tesoro Vaquero, Mojave, Fisher F75 Ltd2, MXT Pro, Makro Multi Kruzer, Deeptech VGG
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Like Tabman I own many Tesoros. They will all stay with me but the Vaquero and Eldoroado are used the most. I have a Deus and At Pro also and I don't feel I am losing anything by putting them down and using the Vaquero or Eldorado. They are so light and easy to swing and such fun to use.. It never hurts to have several detectors. Get yourself a Vaq and join the fun.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread