vaquero-tejon

I

idig3

did anyone compare the v to the t, i know the t has a higher gain and is more sensitive but
is also noisier. What i am wondering is in the same situation would you have to turn down the sensitivity knob more on the tejon to become stable, and in doing so would you lose
more depth making it about the same as the vaquero in depth? Or would it still be deeper,
or are they about the same to begin with? The other question is the frequency of both will
the tejon be alot better at finding gold, or are they about the same?
Forgot to ask read on here somewhere the deepest someone dug with a vaquero was 6", it has to go deeper than that . What were some of the depths the machines recovered the targets at?

tabfinder

Jul 9, 2006
Midwest
Detector(s) used
Nocta Simplex
They have to be fairly comparable; I have a Vaquero and it is awesome. Keep it ground balanced and you'll get your depth. Bike sprocket at about a foot down and it was singing good. It goes deep and will find very small targets at good depth. Small iron rust flakes at 4 inches.....and it sounded off loud then too. Keep the discrim at a little above iron so you don't miss the gold jewelry or caches. Dig; dig; dig and you will know what it all sounds like in no time!

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You have to remember that when someone says they found something at say 6 inches, it doesn't mean that is as deep as the machine goes. Perhaps all the targets that person found where at 6 inches or less. Where they set up properly? How are the minerials in that area? Are the coils the same size, etc?

Both are two different tools and each has a certain job it does the best.

OP
OP
I

idig3

glad to here your response sandman, always value your opinion. Which one is best at what?
between the cibola, vaquero, or tejon.

gregl01

Apr 19, 2005
land of the free-taxed to death
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Nokta Fors CoRe
I have a Cibola and have been looking into a Tejon. I love my Cib but I feel it isn't as deep as I'd like. I also like the dual disc feature on the Tejon for coinshooting. I think they are both excellent and each have their place, you have to have the right tool for the job!!!!
Greg

OP
OP
I

idig3

I agree so which one is better for which job. Let's say you hunted on dry land only
and you primarily hunted more for old coins and jewelry, but you wouldn't mind picking up
an old antique item now and then around old homesites.

Gribnitz

Aug 1, 2004
I have both. The Tejon is deeper, hands down. I don't know what you consider significant, but it's at least a couple inches deeper than the Vaquero even when you set the Vaquero to "super tune" mode. The Tejon's gain is internally set wide open, unlike the Vaquero where you have to fiddle with the threshold and sensitivity to get max depth. The Tejon is a "little" harder to ground balance when you are getting used to using it, but once you get the hang of it, it isn't an issue. It is also a little more "chirpy" than the Vaquero, but it's obvious to tell the good from bad signals. The Vaquero is extremely silent, so much so I have to pass it over my hand to make sure it's still working sometimes. The Vaquero has become my convience machine. If it has the coil on it I want to use for the day, I grab it and swing that. If I have a spot I have to switch a coil, I always grab the Tejon for those tougher jobs.

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a Vaquero and I dug two foot down for an old rusty peice of tin. It was not a real big peice either. I was pretty impressed how far it went down for it . :)

OP
OP
I

idig3

I have noticed where i am the vaquero gets a chirpy if the sensitivity is all the way
up, which leads me to believe the tejon would really be chirpy resulting into having to
turn it way down. I think that if you live in an area with above ground electric running on
poles and around alot of other buildings that would cause the machine to be a little unstable with all the electrical interference, as opposed to using one out in the middle of the woods, and the tejon would not work as well. Someone correct me if i am wrong would using one in a neighborhood and i am not talking about using it right under high voltage
transmission lines or next to a big factory with alot of equipment, effect it more than using it out in the woods?

SaginawIan

Jun 1, 2006
Detroit, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Mojave.
I just got a Tejon. So I'm kind of new, but I can offer you this from a rookie: This machine means business. It's noisy and ornery and spits and crackles. If you have it GB'd wrong, it's no good. You have to get it just right. You can quiet it down, but it will lose it's "edge"(over the others). This one is not for a leisurely stroll in the park - you really have to concentrate to realize it's capabilities. I recently dug a tiny tin roofing nail that sounded off strong at about 10" (no exaggeration!) ! I got a couple of pennies at 10" in thick sod soil! I realized that almost no coins will escape this detector if you balance it right. If you want a quiet day of detecting- don't use this one. Use the Silver Umax or Cibola. If you really want to nail the deep coins - the Tejon appears to be the choice. The 5.75 coil is everything that you hear, it's amazingly deep for the size. I hear that headphones make a huge difference - I use Killer Bees and they are sweet and bring out the whispers.

ian

dugpenny

Apr 24, 2007
While all the comments here are good, SaginawIan's is very good.

I've put a lot of hours on my Tejon recently and now feel that I know it well. Like SaginawIan wrote, the ground balance is very important. It's also very easy to do. In fact, I'd almost say it's a no-brainer. Find a clean spot in all-metal mode (just pull the trigger back) and + on the knob means more volume and minus means less. The ideal is to lower the coil to about 1 inch above the ground and have only a slight increase in volume. I GB my Tejon several times at a site by using my thumb and trigger finger and it usually takes like 10 seconds.

Honestly, if anyone has trouble learning a Tejon they had better never buy a Minelab SE or DFX! All Tesoro's are super simple but very effective. I went out to a hunted out site this morning just to get a little exercise and I dug an old compact and a 1935 Buff nickel right by somebody else's plug!

Anyway, back to your original question. Before I bought the Tejon I wrote to several major detector dealers and asked them which was the deepest and all-round best Tesoro. They all were in 100% agreement; the Tejon. One told me the V is the best "bang for the buck" but the Tejon is deeper.

Vaquero or Tejon, which is the best? If buying new it's the Tejon. If you can get a great deal on a used Vaquero then go for it. But for the dual mode trigger (awesome!) and extra 2-3 inches depth on coins and less ajusting--go with the Tejon. Don't let a tiny bit more noise worry you. All good targets come in smooth and clear.

Just my 2 cents.

Doug

Gribnitz

Aug 1, 2004
SaginawIan said:
It's noisy and ornery and spits and crackles. If you have it GB'd wrong, it's no good. You have to get it just right. You can quiet it down, but it will lose it's "edge"(over the others).
ian

The Tejon isn't THAT noisey. It generally only acts that way if you have the sensitivity cranked all the way up into the red, which really isn't necessary. Crank the sens up till it starts to crackle, then back it off a little until it stops. You aren't losing depth doing this, just making the machine disc out the mineralization in the ground.

dugpenny

Apr 24, 2007
Gribnitz said:
SaginawIan said:
It's noisy and ornery and spits and crackles. If you have it GB'd wrong, it's no good. You have to get it just right. You can quiet it down, but it will lose it's "edge"(over the others).
ian

The Tejon isn't THAT noisey. It generally only acts that way if you have the sensitivity cranked all the way up into the red, which really isn't necessary. Crank the sens up till it starts to crackle, then back it off a little until it stops. You aren't losing depth doing this, just making the machine disc out the mineralization in the ground.

Yes, good point!

And too, I've found that the ground balance can be off some and still get good depth.

Doug

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread