Various Hard Stone Axes

PaleoHunter

Nov 28, 2011
Heartland
Primary Interest:
Other
Here's some of the hard stone iv'e picked up in the last 10 years of walking. Most have plow marks or are beaten up in some manner...never have came across a dandy that Iowa is so well known for.
hardstone.jpg

slob2.jpg

slob.jpg

fullg.jpg

finestbroke.jpg

celt.jpg

Prime_Focus

Aug 27, 2008
Central Iowa
That's a whole lot of hardstone! :icon_thumright: Doesn't it just make you feel all warm and fuzzy when you look down and spot one? ;D Thanks for the picture.

iowa trout

Dec 9, 2010
Oh my blessed is paleohunter that's alot of miles congrats .So where is origin(s) exactly?

OP
OP
PaleoHunter

PaleoHunter

Nov 28, 2011
Heartland
Primary Interest:
Other
iowa trout- these axes are all from campsites that are have multiple cultures on them, mainly archaic sites. it's funny, within these campsites i can almost pin point the most likely spots to have the luck on flipping one out. there is a 200 hundred X 50 yard stretch on one site that is deadly for a hardstone find...if the conditions are right.

iowa trout

Dec 9, 2010
Iowa finds then? what makes one camp better than another you say I have got to know lol good stuff PH.

OP
OP
PaleoHunter

PaleoHunter

Nov 28, 2011
Heartland
Primary Interest:
Other
no real reason why one camp is better over another just have pin pointed area where majority of hard stone is found. i have found axes all over the sites just more concentrated in some areas. my hard stone finds have all been in central and eastern iowa, and illinois. i have yet to have found a g9 or g10 axe...one i'd like to scratch off my bucket list.

Sprig

Mar 10, 2011
arrowheadlee said:
Man, that's a pile of stone there !!!! Just think of how many man hours is the in the making of all them.

Just think how many trees were chopped, bones crushed for marrow, river mussels broken for meat, stakes pounded for dwellings & skulls cracked for the well being of self preservation. :tard:

Also wonder how many generations those were passed down through.

OP
OP
PaleoHunter

PaleoHunter

Nov 28, 2011
Heartland
Primary Interest:
Other
never really thought of these axes that way...cool way to look at these tools. wonder if they ever carved out a canoe?

Sprig

Mar 10, 2011
PaleoHunter said:
never really thought of these axes that way...cool way to look at these tools. wonder if they ever carved out a canoe?

I'm not for sure, but I think celts were used for that type of work since they could be hafted with the bit end horizontal instead of perpendicular like a regular grooved axe.

Pretty cool tools all around!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread