VDI more accurate than sound.

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Took the F75 with my 15 inch coil to the park today to hunt. Now the parks are trashy, but had no trouble seperating targets. But every other pull tab would ring silver and that doesn't happen with my smaller coils. The VDI would ring up the right number. I was on 3H tone. Just barely turned it on didnt want depth, just a quick glean hunt. Any ideas as to why the VDI worked better?

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
They are two separate circuits. Possibly some factor favored the VDI.

The key, I find, is to use both display and headphones and also keep an eye on the Confidence Scale and the Fe2O3 scale and "X" the targets to get the most info before digging or passing.

The display is very good on the F-75 for repeatability on solid targets, and even on odd jewelry shapes it will repeat if you make the same pass.

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Took the F75 with my 15 inch coil to the park today to hunt. Now the parks are trashy, but had no trouble seperating targets. But every other pull tab would ring silver and that doesn't happen with my smaller coils. The VDI would ring up the right number. I was on 3H tone. Just barely turned it on didnt want depth, just a quick glean hunt. Any ideas as to why the VDI worked better?

You said you were running in 3H.....3H makes nickels high tones and some tabs fall in the nickel range.....

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I only use the 3h setting when hunting very early homesites to help find those earlu nickels and buttons. Parks and other areas with a large amount of pull tabs I would recommend using just 3 tones.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread