Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I try to dig more solid target VDI I know pop topos will vary 5 to 6 numbers a gold ring is more solid. The State flower in MI is a pop top some people say dig it all but it depends where I am if I dug all signals at the parks around here I wouldnt move 6 ft in a 8 hour hunt. I like the woods cause not alot of signals so I dig everything a park Im more picky . Good question

ticndig

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2009
Cumberland Va
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T-2-SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dig all repeatable tones . repeatable from all directions. If it's nonferrous, I dig.
I also dig big overloading signals . I only dig in the woods .

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I would dig everything for awhile until you get a firm grasp on the machine nuisances. I have found many awesome relics and jewelry with not desirable VID numbers!

Good Luck and Happy Hunting! :icon_thumleft:

treasureguy56

Mar 31, 2019
Half way Between Perry and Owosso Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1210 , Tesoro Golden Sabre , CZ5 , Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't forget those numbers tend to become an average or combination of all the targets under the coil - that's generally how we get the big fluctuations in the VDI readings

Doug H

May 23, 2014
Cumberland, VA
Detector(s) used
White's coinmaster pro
Garrett at pro
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Other
I read all the time about digging every signal...but believe me, the older you get...the less likely that is to happen. I love it but I'm to damn old to be digging all them holes. My body just cant take it.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The, as always is "it depends". It depends on the site type, the age of the site, the types of targets, the amount of mineralization and the amount of iron junk.

Dont treat any one aspect of TID as a "holy grail" you have to use everything together. Tone, duration, quality, VID, VID stability, HOW the VID instability moves, and more. Of then it also depends on the detector. Some "variable TID" I would dig with detector A but not with detector B.

Tahts-a-dats-ago

Apr 30, 2014
NJ
Detector(s) used
Legend,
Anfibio multi,
Apex,
ORX,
Deus,
Vanquish 440
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't have a set rule; oftentimes digging (or not) is simply a gut-feeling. And that gut-feeling will vary depending on which machine I'm using, the area being detected, and how eager I am to dig trash. Most of my sites are filled with trash, so finding trash along with a good target is the norm. In those cases I typically ignore the VDI when it wildly fluctuates and dig if I hear a high tone squeak at any point over the target. In many instances I dig despite not hearing a high tone - because the trash often masks the good target and makes the tone sound a bit off.

treasureguy56

Mar 31, 2019
Half way Between Perry and Owosso Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1210 , Tesoro Golden Sabre , CZ5 , Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just trying to see what everyone else does when this happens. I hunt mostly by sound, but sometimes I notice the my vdi numbers fluctuate wildly. My question is, how big of a swing in numbers do you still dig?

I hunt using a combination of sound and vdi , but remember , many time's the vdi response will slightly change according to the area your hunting in . What I mean is the type of site your hunting . You will have to determine the type of targets coming out of the ground as compared to the vdi you get for that target . Sometimes a 15 / 16 / 17 vdi can be very nice suspender clip or it can be a type of bottle cap (I personally find many nice relics in this range especially if Im hunting an old home site) Does the target have a nice vdi but sound very hollow and hard , you'll have to get use to approaching it this way sometimes . A lot of times you may have to let your inner voice help you out . If im hunting at an old home site I can usually tell within the first 5 to 10 minutes or so as to the situation im in . You get a feel for the site especially if you slow yourself down and really listen for the differences in the sound of the signal . Im sure you've dug a specific vdi and it turned out to be a great target for you then 10 minutes later you dig the same number and it turned out to be a piece of aluminum that made you shake your head ( same vdi but the sound is somehow different - same high tone but slightly different sounding high tone ) . This is what you'll have to be listening for .
At least this works for me - I don't believe there is one theory that works 100 percent the same for every situation everywhere , there are just to many variables and I believe that is part of the hunt . Good luck

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I don't dig by number, I dig by the sound of the signal. I actually haven't used my EQ800 in over a year, I'm pretty comfortable swinging my Tejon.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread