VDI NUMBERS

49er12

Bronze Member
Aug 22, 2013
Rolling Rock, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Minelab xterra, Whites DFX, Notka Makro Simplex. Folks the price don’t mean everything, the question is are you willing to put in the time to learn the machine, experience will pay off I guarantee it.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wish they where exact, sorry folks, I don’t care if you have the ctx3030, whites v3i, minelab u get point. Now I sometimes the number stays real close like 74-75 example but let’s be honest more times than not you will dig, pull tabs, nails, iron and it will fall between the numbers, so don’t think your going buy a machine that’s says joe it’s 78 you got a penny, lol. The hobby is what it is just because you put a certain bait on your hook don’t mean your catching the fish you think right. I check my beeps or tones from angles then say heck bend down give it a go, hope this helps, I was outside 2 hours today, dam pull tabs, aluminum, but found a 1919 penny, gee hundred years old, good luck

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
Hey my best penny signal turned out to be a 22k to 24k religious pendant. You probably won't catch me passing up ANY penny signal...

He who digs the most trash finds the most treasure.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
`My best icky signal in recent memory (10 years or so) was the intact top to a late 17th century locking tobacco box. It rang hard, but the vdi wasn't real sure about it. It was very, very deep and standing straight up and down in the ground.

Treasureman25

May 30, 2013
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Mxt pro, coinmaster gt, bounty hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I concur! if the vdi’s were exact we’d all dig a lot less trash:laughing7:

bowser

Feb 27, 2007
SOUTH WEYMOUTH MA.
Detector(s) used
PRISM11 MXT IDX PRO TESORO COMPARDRE T2 se
Primary Interest:
Other
My machines were always single tone, until my mxt relic mode, To my mind tones takes part of the adventure of detecting out, Vdi learning can be confusing only if you own more than one detector. I do own an E 600 but thats for wet sand beach hunting here in ma. black sand here is difficult HH JIM

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's a mistake to think that any metal detector knows what a coin, or ring, is. They all just send out a signal and when it bounces back it compares the result with the relative conductivity of what is in the soil based on how you (or the unit) ground balanced. There are internal parameters that are biased towards finding a coin shaped object which will have certain "eddies" of currents on a conductive surface.

But then along comes different soil conditions, mineralization, salts, moisture, and differing depths, object orientation, etc., etc.

I kept a log of the TDI for everything I dug and some "test" items in the soil until I had a good baseline for my F-75. Im pretty sure that when I get a "30" it's a US Nickel and a "70" is a pre'82 cent but a "63" is a post'82 cent. But, looking at the "black bar", there are trash items that will read the same TDI as about every good target. Thats why it's "hunting" and not shopping.

F75 TDI Scale.jpg

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread