Vehicle Mounted Coils?

D

Delta Hunter

Has anyone ever built or seen plans for a large vehicle mounted system, By vehicle I mean ATV or the like. Do any company's make something like this? I have been google-ing for hours with no results..... It seems to me years back I read a tale of an old desert rat who did this and mounted a unit on his truck.. after a few years he found one of the biggest natural gold formations in the US ever found.... I would love to be able to cover so much ground.... Thanks all

Delta

willie d

Silver Member
Jul 13, 2005
Close enough to the beach
Detector(s) used
**Tesoro Tiger Shark** Tesoro Silver Umax** Minelab Sov Gt w/WOT coil** Whites 6000Di Pro SL**
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Delta, I remember that story, I saw it on a TV show about treasure. If I remember correctly, it was mounted to an old jeep. I believe he used a long pvc pipe to extend out in front of the vehicle and mounted the control box on the dash. I hope this helps.

OP
OP
D

Delta Hunter

Thanks willie, at least I know I wasn't dreaming all this up... Now how do I get ahold of or build one of these??? Anybody???

Carl-NC

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Washington
Detector(s) used
Custom Designs and Prototypes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One of the old treasure mags had a cover pic, and a story, of a fellow who had a rectangular PI coil mounted on the front of his truck. It turns out this was built by Eric Foster, who specializes in PI detectors. You could build such a beast without too much trouble.

- Carl

Carl-NC

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Washington
Detector(s) used
Custom Designs and Prototypes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Treasure Search, April 1982. It's called the Agritec MK3.

paratrooper

Sep 20, 2004
Kingman AZ
Here ya go .

Attachments

• drag coil.jpg
    drag coil.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 3,460
  • drag coil.jpg
    drag coil.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 1,559

ringding

May 5, 2006
Detector(s) used
Pioneer 505
A handyman could easily mount one on the front of a bicycle. I thought about doing it.

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats a baby in the picture. Eric's P.I. ( Long Tom I think it was called ) was either six or eight feet wide. I have a picture somewhere. Not originally vehicle mounted, you had a person at each end one of which had the control box.On detecting the signal he would flick over to a small coil and scan the centre of the large to find the target.
Everyone I know who has tried vehicle mounting gave up in the end due to the large amount of signals being picked up so you would have to stop every few minutes.

Slingshot

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2004
Southern Appalachia
Detector(s) used
Whites CM2 BFO, Harbor Freight 9 function, BH Pioneer 202, Fisher F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BUILDING METAL LOCATORS A TREASURE HUNTERS PROJECT BOOK by Charles D. Rakes, published by TAB Books Inc. in 1986, ISBN # 0-8306-2706-5. Complete instructions on building a Four-Coil Balanced Bridge Locator for use on an automobile on pages 48-55. Looks interesting to me, and I have wondered how well it would work in a desert environment such as in the Australian Western Desert searching for large gold nuggets. Remoteness and fuel availability nixed this idea, but I had never thought of mounting it on a bicycle - that might work.

CaptJohn

Sep 6, 2006
Fairhope Alabama
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep, should be able to make a big coil. Note the Gemi-3 will spread out 35 feet , handled by two people. Also make a pvc SLED and pull or push it with a 4 wheeler. Several of the PI units use sleds for their 40" coils.

khouse

Dec 6, 2006
If a person has the cash couldn't you buy about 10 detectors with programable frequencys, 10 bigfoot coils, mount them in 2 rows far enough apart but overlapping, and connect each detector to a relay that sprayed paint on the ground at each coil when you got a good hit. It may be better that one huge coil. more accurate too.

M

mws53

Just saw program on TV this week of a guy in Kansas that built a 4 foot by 8 foot coil on a PVC frame that had non-metalic lawnmower wheels attached that he pulls behind an atv. He searches in large fields in Kansas looking for meteors and then digs them up with a backhoe.

99thpercentile

Nov 2, 2006
Evergreen, CO
Detector(s) used
Geonics EM61-MK2, Geophex GEM-3, GapEOD UltraTEM III, Minelabs F3, Foerster MINEX 2FD 4.500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Vehicle mounted metal detectors are used all the time in unexploded ordnance detection and discrimination surveys. One example is MTADS which is run by Blackhawk which is an array of either magnetometers or Geonics EM61-MK2 units pulled by a non-ferrous dune buggy. The EM61 data is logged by a modified version of Geometrics MagLog software concurrently with the GPS data. All the data is processed later using Geosoft's Oasis Montaj software.

Attachments

• MTADS1.jpg
    MTADS1.jpg
    6.6 KB · Views: 3,804
  • MTADS2.jpg
    MTADS2.jpg
    6.8 KB · Views: 3,753
  • MTADS3.jpg
    MTADS3.jpg
    5.5 KB · Views: 3,620

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First:

Slingshot,

I think you had better think the "mounting a drag coil on a bicycle idea" through a little further. Just riding a bike through soft sand and brush is tough, now factor in dragging a coil behind it. Not fun! A Motocross Bike would be another story, but you still have to contend with keeping balanced while worrying about signals and dragging a coil (could be a recipe for disaster).

KHOUSE,

The multi-coil idea would not work because anyone who has ever been metal detecting, who has wandered too near another detectorist, will tell you that each coil would pick up the signal from the other coils, and cause a lot of crazy signals.

Best bet is to mount a drag coil behind an ATV. It would be easy enough to buy about a 48" x 48" coil, go to a Home Depot type store and buy a heavy piece of rubber (like a rubber doorway mat), a length of 3"-4" white PVC Pipe, and some wood screws. Screw the mat to the pipe, mount the coil on top of the mat. run a length of rope from the ATV, back through the pipe, and back to the ATV, fastening the coil wire to the rope, running it to the MD Box mounted on say the rear tray.

There ya go.

Best-Mike

99thpercentile

Nov 2, 2006
Evergreen, CO
Detector(s) used
Geonics EM61-MK2, Geophex GEM-3, GapEOD UltraTEM III, Minelabs F3, Foerster MINEX 2FD 4.500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On the issue of instrument interference, the multiple EM61-MK2 units on the MTADS array can be phase locked with a trigger cable. You could also try a GEM-5 from Geophex (www.geophex.com) which has a large Tx coil and five pairs of gradiometer Rx coils.

SgtSki in MI

Oct 14, 2007
Hesperia, MI
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS & Explorer II, Fisher 1236-X2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
We got 'em over here in Iraq

We have a vehicle that the Combat Engineers use. It's called the Meerkat and it's used for route clearance missions along roads. The upgraded version of it is called the Husky. They're built in South Africa. I'm not gonna go into specifics on it (security and all) but in the pics the part that looks like a grader blade is actually the searchcoil. The front and rear of the vehicle is desigend so that if it gets damaged in an explosion it can be unhooked, a new assembly put on, and continue working.

HH,
SgtSki

Attachments

• huskywtrailers-s.jpg
    huskywtrailers-s.jpg
    9.7 KB · Views: 1,309
  • green_meerkat-s.jpg
    green_meerkat-s.jpg
    11.1 KB · Views: 1,316
  • Ivmmdd1-s.jpg
    Ivmmdd1-s.jpg
    10.8 KB · Views: 1,313
  • gstami3.gif
    gstami3.gif
    8.7 KB · Views: 760

Ant

Silver Member
Aug 6, 2006
Cali
Detector(s) used
Glold Bug 2 MineLab SE
Re: We got 'em over here in Iraq

SgtSki in MI said:
We have a vehicle that the Combat Engineers use. It's called the Meerkat and it's used for route clearance missions along roads. The upgraded version of it is called the Husky. They're built in South Africa. I'm not gonna go into specifics on it (security and all) but in the pics the part that looks like a grader blade is actually the searchcoil. The front and rear of the vehicle is desigend so that if it gets damaged in an explosion it can be unhooked, a new assembly put on, and continue working.

HH,
SgtSki

Last week I got an operator and maintenance Certification on the Husky , 40 hours training. Just think, it can be fitted with an adapter so that I can mount my Gold Bug 2 or any hand held metal detector. The adapter cost over $100.000. The coils on the huskies we have cost about $17,000.00 to replace.

Urban Prospector

Feb 21, 2007
N OC CA
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT,Compass 94B & 77B
I wonder what effect a large coil would have on battery life. It seems it would use more power for the bigger field. Any thoughts or knowledge on this one?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread