F

Fletch_360

Greenie
Jan 26, 2010
NW PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
metal_detector.gif
FWIW - Before you go any further zinging Big Boys Hobbies - I would first try to find out "why" you were limited to only two cards. If there wasn't a problem associated with Gift Cards - I am confident that they would have accepted them. IMHO - therewouldn't give up a sale for no reason. Let us know what you find out.

the fees would be to much for more than 2 cards. if you want, I can copy the email for you. I'm not zinging him, just thought that was a little strange. the cards are associated with my name and address, so verification wouldn't be an issue. I received the 4 cards as a Christmas gift. I've never had an issue using gift cards in my life. here's the email. -------- Original message --------From: "Bart R. Davis" <[email protected]>*Date:*03/18/2013 11:35 AM*(GMT-05:00)*To: fletch_360 <[email protected]>*Subject: Re: VISA PREPAID CARDS*I can only take two card. Any more than that create 2 many fees, sorry.

Bart Davis405-206-9010www.BigBoysHobbies.netAuthorized Minelab, Fisher, Teknetics, Garrett, XP Deus and*Detector Pro dealer.*

Last edited:
OP
OP
F

Fletch_360

Greenie
Jan 26, 2010
NW PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
I'd even be willing to pay additional fees for using the 4 cards. last year I purchased $2500 in gift cards to get my new golf clubs
with no issues.

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
metal_detector.gif
I thought their would be a reason (fees would be to much for more than 2 cards) why they didn't want to take all four cards. My son has a shop and you simply wouldn't believe how much a vendor has to pay these credit card companies. I am sure Big Boys Hobbies is in the middle like my son - they have to drop prices so darn low to compete that their profit margins are almost gone. At any rate - thanks for the update.

tims1chap

Feb 6, 2013
Winchester, VA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can you take them to your bank and deposit them. Some banks do allow that since the cards in your words were Visa backed. Then you could get the amount have a cashiers check made out for the cost.

OP
OP
F

Fletch_360

Greenie
Jan 26, 2010
NW PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Can you take them to your bank and deposit them. Some banks do allow that since the cards in your words were Visa backed. Then you could get the amount have a cashiers check made out for the cost.
I'll have to call my bank and find out. I never imagined spending 2k in gift cards would be that difficult.

TreasurePirate69

Jan 20, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is Odd....I mean hell..Its money..right??...and how much "fees" can they occur?.

It's not "just money". There are fees and then there is the issue of being able to take them in the first place. Retailers need to have software and an account setup that will allow for "partial authorizations". This is the concept where you might try to authorize a sale for $200 but the card only has $150 left on it. In this case the authorizer approves the charge but only for the $150. If you software isn't setup to handle this then it can be a real nightmare.

These Visa gift cards are a real racket. People buy them for loved ones as gifts thinking that they are some sort of universal money. They are not. Your experience is not uncommon at all.

I have no problem with a retailer refusing to take these cards.

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
metal_detector.gif
Great idea tims1chap. I searched the net on this and you find more NO you can't cash them to selling them on Craiglist and/or Ebay. However, I jumped over to VISA FAQ - How do I get cash at an ATM with my Visa Prepaid card? it states that you can just take it to a ATM and enter a "pin." I have never seen a "pin" on a Gift Card but never had a Visa Gift Card. Anyway, if that works - you found a great solution tims1chap. Now, the only catch is is a Visa Gift Card the same as a Visa Prepaid Card...

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
If Bart asked me for gift cards i might look into them. Till then our usual transaction works well. Good luck fletch,let us know who takes your 4 cards and price.

Jdubya

May 19, 2005
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fletch,

We ( Kellyco ) can take as many gift cards as need be. Just make sure you have registered them to your billing address.

JW

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread