Venomous Arachnid and a Trophy Coin

Frodov

Bronze Member
May 24, 2007
Lexington, KY
Detector(s) used
Whites Prism IV / Bullseye II pinpointer
Venomous Arachnid and a Trophy Coin

Howdeeeeeeee! How’s everyone out there in TreasureNet Land this evening? I hope you all have had your fill of Trick’or’Treating and haven’t eaten too much left over or pilfered candy. I know it’s hard NOT to indulge in a bite or two... three... four... shhhh! Stop counting! <grin> Yeah, there were a few leftover candies here at our house when all the little ghouls and goblins and zombies and vampires and Accountants??? Stop ringing our doorbell this evening. The huge bag of candy that my wife and I purchased to appease the multitudes of munchkin marauders seemed like way too much candy when we brought it home. By the closing minutes of Trick’or’Treating however, it looked as if we were not going to make it. Whew! That was close! We made it through this year though, and as I said, with a little left to spare as well. Done! Now, to relay events from earlier in the day.... An adventure in Metal detecting! Frodov Style!
<grin> Today is, or was, officially the last day of vacation. It’s been a long and eventful week around our household. We pretty much had a “Stay-cation” except for a one night excursion down to Cumberland Falls to attempt to see the “Moonbow”. I mentioned that in the last post so I won’t rehash the whole trip. I do have some photos though...

Val and Me at the Falls.JPG

Okay... Only one picture from the falls... The rest of the week has been spent acclimating a new member of the household into our lives. We adopted another little Kitty into the family, and “little” is no exaggeration. “Blue” (boo boo... or Baby Blue... or stinker) is her name. She weighed just barely two pounds when we brought her home which is a little light for eight weeks old. I suspect that she was the runt of the litter.

Baby Blue and Val.JPG
Blue.JPG

Val, as you can see, is tickled pink with her new baby. Inky, our older cat isn’t so impressed, but she’s coming around. So you can imagine that it’s been an eventful week around here, and just how VERY happy I was to get out and detect a little bit when I could. Female hormones , human or feline, are running high at my house! YIKES!
That’s not to say that I was not going to face some peril while pursuing my favorite pastime. When you are outdoors you are going to experience “Nature” in some form or another... right? The birds, the Bees, the flowers, the trees... and BUGS! Nasty Venomous arachnids are things to be wary and aware of.... well this one was nearly sat on! Minding my own business, detecting away peacefully and digging up coin after coin after coin (gotta love them soccer parks!)... and upon digging up yet another pair of quarters from some unfortunate’s pocket spill I sat back on my heels and was ... uh... Goosed by something in the grass! YIKES! I jumped up and spun around startled and had my Leshe digging tool out and at the ready. I don’t remember even pulling it out of the sheath really, it was just there in my hand... anyway... cautiously I inched back to where I was so rudely...uh.. “startled”.. and used my digger to part the grass one way and the other till I finally glimpsed those shiny evil little eyes glaring back up at me and those nasty fangs... Shudder... Carefully I slid the blade of my digger down under his backside and picked him gingerly up through the grass into the full sunlight... Legs askew and claws grasping, those vicious fangs bared as if ready to jump and strike... I giggled a little from the tension then dropped him right down into the “stuff” side of my finds bag... ?? Was that smart? Well I wasn’t going to drop it into the coin side with all that clad. NO WAY! The little bugger already was reaching for coins!

Venom.JPG

I eventually gave him a penny to play with while I took his picture. <grin> The rest of the afternoon was almost uneventful. Almost.
I found the usual stuff, some hardware...

Hardware.JPG

There were the ever present pull tabs and bottle caps of course...

Tabs and stuff.JPG

There was the token foreign coin... a single little Canadian Cent...

Canadian.JPG

Sorry... some of the pictures are a little blurry... all that excitement over the arachnid I guess. That or just hyped from finding such a nice little pile of coins for the day, including yet another copy of a nice big “Decision Toss Coin”

Toss f.JPG

Toss B.JPG

I’ve found other copies of this coin at this same park, three previously actually, all from the 2003 tournament held at this complex. I don’t know how many were made, or for that matter, how many were “lost”, but I’m kind of hoping to find more of them. <grin>

10-31-08 026tossers.jpg

As you can see, besides those three “clones” to the coin found today, I’ve found many “Toss” coins well over a dozen or more, though not all of them are shown here in this picture. Sometimes I’ve found Kennedy Half Dollars on the Soccer fields I hunt so I’m thinking that some Ref’s improvise from time to time with the bigger coins too. Always fun to find a large coin. Always fun to find lots of coins too. I know I’ve had better days than today, but I was pleased all the same. Oddly, almost every coin found today was dug up... not a surface find. The soil at this particular park is vey acidic and even the more robust coins like the quarters really corrode and discolor... the nasty “Zincolns” practically dissolve away to nothing there. I’ll still dig them up though! <smile>

Clad.JPG

Yeah Baby! A Pouch full of Clad! A BIG COIN find! A Dangerous Character Bagged and Tagged! And all that before dinner time! Home to the missus and the kids (cats) in time to pass out loads of Trick’or’Treat candy... and pilfer a piece or three... I had a wonderful day! *sigh* I’m off tomorrow, but it’s a regular day off rather than vacation. Still though, it’s one less day from work, and one more opportunity to go play with the detector some more! <BIG SMILE> Wonder if I might find any other “Spiders” tomorrow? <giggle>

~HAPPY HUNTING~

Frodov

Upvote 0

CowboyKolo

Nov 11, 2007
Nebraska
Detector(s) used
White Eagle Spectrum
Heck, being a spidey fan, Id be more excited about the Venom than all those coins lol great story!

OP
OP
Frodov

Frodov

Bronze Member
May 24, 2007
Lexington, KY
Detector(s) used
CowboyKolo said:
Heck, being a spidey fan, Id be more excited about the Venom than all those coins lol great story!

Of all the toys and action figures I've found over the years while metal detecting, I have NEVER been so rudely accosted or so nearly violated by any of them as I was with this plastic menace to society! You just never know what's lurking in the grass these days. Oh and for the record... I think I did actually get a ping off of this toy on my metal detector, probably sounded off like a bit of foil though and was overlooked because of the stronger signal of the coins so nearby. A funny if ironical side note... my wife had her car parked by none other than Spider Man at the hospital that morning. For Halloween the valet parking attendants all dressed in costumes... And Spidey parked the car! She, my wife, was telling me about it before I went off to detect at the park... how's that for a little irony? <grin>

~HAPPY HUNTING~

Frodov

Kirk PA

Bronze Member
May 23, 2009
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great post, James, and awesome pictures of you and the wife. You two make a great couple in marriage. :thumbsup: I always enjoy your threads. I can always count on you to make me laugh. :laughing7: Thanks once again for the laughs over the years. :icon_thumleft:

Kirk :hello:

OP
OP
Frodov

Frodov

Bronze Member
May 24, 2007
Lexington, KY
Detector(s) used
Kirk PA said:
Great post, James, and awesome pictures of you and the wife. You two make a great couple in marriage. :thumbsup: I always enjoy your threads. I can always count on you to make me laugh. :laughing7: Thanks once again for the laughs over the years. :icon_thumleft:

Kirk :hello:

Always happy to please and always happy to entertain. I just have a good time relating the fun I have with this hobby. It's the best hobby I've ever had and certainly the only one that's ever paid for itself. <grin>

~HAPPY HUNTING~

Frodov

Jun 17, 2010
Middle,Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Detectors used: Garrett GTI 2500 and Garrett Ace 250,Garrett Treasure-Ace 200(retired) with Garrett PRO-POINTER
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Love those tokens...very cool finds
thanks for sharing

OP
OP
Frodov

Frodov

Bronze Member
May 24, 2007
Lexington, KY
Detector(s) used
Tennessee Treasure Hunter said:
Love those tokens...very cool finds
thanks for sharing

I guess they could be considered tokens too... <shrug> and I think they are a blast to find.

~HAPPY HUNTING~

Frodov

OP
OP
Frodov

Frodov

Bronze Member
May 24, 2007
Lexington, KY
Detector(s) used
4-H said:
Nice pics James.

You and your wife look happy! :icon_thumleft:

whenever I'm with her I'm happy... I hope that when I'm with her she's happy too. I think she is. <smile> At least I'm "tolerated". <grin> Thanks.

~HAPPY HUNTING~

Frodov

CowboyKolo

Nov 11, 2007
Nebraska
Detector(s) used
White Eagle Spectrum
In that case, be glad it wasn't a superwoman or spider girl figurine that grabbed
you...might've made the wife jealous :D

OP
OP
Frodov

Frodov

Bronze Member
May 24, 2007
Lexington, KY
Detector(s) used
CowboyKolo said:
In that case, be glad it wasn't a superwoman or spider girl figurine that grabbed
you...might've made the wife jealous :D

"Jealous"... I don't know... AMUSED, certainly! <grin> She is, however, slightly aggrivated or perhaps "peeved" that I have displayed all the plastic minagerie (action figures, toy soldiers, animals etc.) that I've found metal detecting on my desk, specifically under and around my monitor. <grin> I've been meaning to build a little shadow box or some sort of display shelf or case to "show" my treasures. She wouldn't care if I just threw them away or donated them to Good Will as long as I move them out. "It's clutter" she says. <shrug> Well that's true, it is clutter, but my inner child still finds the facination in them as well. <grin> Now if I had the urge to "play" with them, she should be worried.. Hell... I'd be worried. <laughing>
There are lots of treasures and oddities that I've found in the short time I've been detecting, that I'd like to share by way of a display or shadow box.... and the longer I detect, the more numerous they become! That's dangerous for a borderline pack-rat like me I suppose. <giggle> But that's ok, I have my wife to guide me and keep me on the straight and narrow... mostly. Some things she tolerates, some things she ignores, but over all she's my conscience and my reality check. She's many things to me, but rarely "Jealous" <grin> "My wife... I think I'll keep her!" (spoofing the old One-A-Day vitamin commercial)

~HAPPY HUNTING~

Frodov

undergrounddrew

Jan 16, 2005
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Technetics G2 Fisher F75 Black, Minelab 3030,Minelab X-Terra 705 and more!!!
Great post, Thank you. I think my Spidy Sense is telling me to hit my local soccer field this weekend!

OP
OP
Frodov

Frodov

Bronze Member
May 24, 2007
Lexington, KY
Detector(s) used
allen said:
id much rather be venom than that boring old spidey !!! :laughing7:

Well... ! It's said that we all have our "dark side"... <grin>

~HAPPY HUNTING~

Frodov

OP
OP
Frodov

Frodov

Bronze Member
May 24, 2007
Lexington, KY
Detector(s) used
mastereagle22 said:
No zipper pulls?

Alas.. Mastereagle... No Zipper pulls this time. But take heart! The temperatures they are a falling, so people will be wearing their jackets and hoodies and heavy arctic parkas to the parks before too long... I'll find more pulls soon I'm sure! <grin>

Had to go to work this morning, on a day off, to prepare a die tool for an earlier than scheduled tooling change over. It was gorgeous outside, if a little on the cool side, when I got off work a little after noon. Unfortunately, by the time I got home and changed clothes to go detecting... well... It had clouded over and was raining. Damn! *sigh* Off tomorrow morning too, so if the weather cooperates perhaps I can go look for those zipper pulls in the morning. <laughing>

~HAPPY HUNTING~

Frodov

lidigger

Sep 4, 2010
Savannah, GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur, White's BeachHunter 300, White's Prizm IV, White's Bullseye II Pointer (x2)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glad you got off okay and bagged the dangerous arachnid before he had the chance to do more harm. Can't wait for your next adventure!

Chris / LI Digger

OP
OP
Frodov

Frodov

Bronze Member
May 24, 2007
Lexington, KY
Detector(s) used
lidigger said:
Glad you got off okay and bagged the dangerous arachnid before he had the chance to do more harm. Can't wait for your next adventure!

Chris / LI Digger

I'm ready to head out the door right after I type this in as a matter of fact. It's damp, it's windy with a cold wind, and it's cloudy and overcast enough to make it look like dusk outside. Chances are there will be few if anyone at the park this morning. I'll get a little swing time in before lunch. Probably wont see any more arachnids though, or snakes or... well you get the idea. Wish me luck!

~HAPPY HUNTING~

Frodov

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread