Veracruz Mexico

ropesfish

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2007
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
A sharp eye, an AquaPulse and a finely tuned shrimp fork.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I can find nothing in my pitifully thin library that has any ships sinking in the Veracruz region in 1644. Do you have any further information?

Diving Veracruz
If I recall, Veracruz has a lot of area in sanctuary/preserves. It might prove challenging to get permission to disturb the bottom, but I guess you never know til you ask.
Links to Veracruz diving information:
http://www.doradobuceo.com/imagenes/GuiaSubmarina.pdf

A Guide to Scuba Diving in the Gulf of Mexico | Diving Veracruz

Vera Cruz diving - GoodDive.com

To find actual dive conditions, email the dive centers in the above link.

ropesfish

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2007
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
A sharp eye, an AquaPulse and a finely tuned shrimp fork.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I did find this on Wikipedia of all places;
1644Western Cuba,Straits of Florida(Florida Keys)October~1100According to a later history of Franciscan priest-historian Diego López de Cogolludo, an English pirate armada of 13hulk (medieval ship type) (urcas in Spanish) carrying 1500 men under Jacob Jackson (possibly William Jackson (pirate)) encountered this storm. In September, the fleet captured two Franciscan priests, Antonio Vazquez and Andres Navarro, from a village in Mexico; the vessel also held eight other Spanish prisoners. Three vessels stranded on arcas(perhaps rocks), and ten continued for Havana. Before leaving Old Bahama Channel, they suffered a violent southeasterly hurricane during which nine of the ten ships sank. During a lull in the storm (perhaps the eye), the sole surviving ship deposited the ten Spaniards ashore, allegedly in Florida but perhaps in Cuba. The hurricane resumed from the opposite direction, and the ship sank also. Despite great hardships, the Franciscans eventually arrived in Havana to tell the tale.[SUP][38][/SUP]

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread