Vertebrate identification

Whiplash016

Feb 4, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe this is a lower lumbar vert. The arch is broken, but still visible where it was attached at the top. Itā€™s turned to stone, heavy for its size, and the back side of this has purple colored rock attached. Any ideas on the possible creature this belonged to or familiar with purple colored rock on fossils? The purple color might not show up well in the second photo. It needs cleaned, but I have no experience in prepping fossils.
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1538809152.115081.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1538809168.487183.jpg

Perico

May 29, 2012
The whole thing looks like stone to me with all the sediment particles visible. Maybe post some other pictures to make sure that are zoomed in at different angles.

OP
OP
W

Whiplash016

Feb 4, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Itā€™s petrified so it has turned to stone. I will post more photos. I just received confirmation from the local museum that it is a vertebrae, but they didnā€™t comment on what it came from.

CaptEsteban

Bronze Member
Jul 26, 2011
Yes, a vertebrae , but I don't know what it came from since many are similar, , & the museum probably doesn't either. Maybe go back to the area & look for more fossils that may identify it by association.

OP
OP
W

Whiplash016

Feb 4, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you for the response, I have an idea where I found it so Iā€™ll try that. Would you say this is dinosaur era? I donā€™t think this is an ice age fossil, just my opinion.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread