Very creepy find

DIGDIG

Nov 23, 2009
Space Coast/Florida
Detector(s) used
WHITES SURF P.I.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This evil looking brass bell was a flea market find. The old woman had no info on it other than she had it for about 25 years. I told her I would purchase it as long as she would wrap it so it would not ring. my wife wants it out of the home and its currently in my shed. I recognize the demon figure on it but unable to placed where I seen it before, anyone have a clue? its black as if it were burned. I'm not sure why pic 2 post horizontal.
IMG_0075.JPG
IMG_0074.JPG

Very interesting bell! Thank you for sharing.

Upvote 0
Ohhhh. I remember this great horror film from the 1950's. The bad guy would slip a piece of paper to the victim with runes on it and , to the sound of bells, the demon would come and do bad things to the victim. Of course eventually the hero figured it out and saved the girl by sneaking the piece of paper in he bad guy's pocket.

Didn't come with a piece of paper with runes, did it?

giphy.gif

Upvote 0
Hells Bell, it's hot down there, that's why it's black.

Upvote 0
Looks of Asian origin, not sure if Hindu but I seriously have to ask and pardon the pun but what possessed you to purchase such a horrid demonic thing?

Upvote 0
1C.jpg I took the liberty of standing it up for you. It is a disgusting looking thing.

Upvote 0
Just a guess, looks like some of the stuff that was coming out of India in the 60s. Lots of tiny holes from slag in the casting? Seemed like everyone there had some sort of smelting operation in the back yard. Any of you other "hippies" remember the little brass bells & stuff like this?

Upvote 0
My first impulse is to laugh, but that may not be a good idea. :tongue1:

Looks vaguely more Indonesian than Hindu to me but apart from having been around in the days of the hippies, I'm no expert.

Upvote 0
reminds me of that gargoyle from that movie tales from the darkside,minus the wings.It looks Haitian

Upvote 0
Just a guess, looks like some of the stuff that was coming out of India in the 60s. Lots of tiny holes from slag in the casting? Seemed like everyone there had some sort of smelting operation in the back yard. Any of you other "hippies" remember the little brass bells & stuff like this?
It's the 70 s that I have trouble remembering things.???

Upvote 0
Update ;
It didn't take long for every thing to be the bells fault so it was moved to the shed. Then when the dog would not break the stare she had, (even when called) out the back looking to the shed, it was time to get rid of it. As far as why I bought it, not sure- it was just unusual.
A young new hire at work wanted it bad, said his wife loves stuff like this. I cut my losses on the $20. I spent and gave it to her. When she picked it up she said "I love it" but did you put it in the freezer, its ice cold. (keep in mind I'm in Florida and it was 83* on Monday, 81* Tuesday). I said " well, good luck " probably good thing I didn't mention the other happenings while it was here. So that's it, less than 48hrs, curious to see how long they hold onto it.

Upvote 0
I thought I was pretty close to tracking one down on the internet, for you DIGDIG, when my keyboard caught on fire.

Upvote 0
I seriously believe your bell is a sand-casted bronze bell that is a Bennin bronze bell that comes from the area in Nigeria, West Africa. I have seen several, and they are all usually a one-of-a-kind. Yours shows around the eyes where the molten bronze failed to encircle the ''round'' of the eyes. But I sincerely believe it is West African art from the Bennin era.

th.jpg An example

P.S. I do not believe there is any bad omens linked to these bells. I believe you have a piece of art history. A real keeper! :icon_thumleft:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back