Very disappointed with Deus Xp

vince76

Bronze Member
Oct 2, 2015
Macedonia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, XP Deus, Garrett GTI 2500.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello guys
I hope you're all doing fine and have found a lot of small treasures.
I haven't been searching lately and I haven't been active on the forum.
I've got triplets and the 24 hours system is not enough for me :)))
Although, I got the Deus Xp V.4. I had noticed that a lot of you guys use this machine and the reviews are almost the best.My problem is that I can't realize why!
First of all I had to buy a USB recharger because if I forget to have Deus 100% I'm ....
With the At Pro never had this problem, just kept 4 batt in my beg.
A lot of confusing sounds without making any difference on what is down there.
I remember that someone told me that Deus was the best for eliminating iron. Well, let me show you. I hope you remember my previous post and finds With the At Pro. Now have a look on Deus finds.
You will be disappointed too.
My opinion: it is French stuff.
Every single nail that you will see gave a high tone, on the surface or deeper.
P_20170814_083147.jpg
P_20170814_083147.jpg

Attachments

• P_20170814_083210.jpg
    P_20170814_083210.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 130
Upvote 6

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They are even older. In this area the people lived between 7th-2nd BC. The nails have been there when I've been searching with the AtPro but I didn't dig then. With the Deus the sounded like bronze or silver.
I totally disagree, iron nails sound like what iron nails sound like on the Deus, nothing like what bronze or silver sounds like. You just haven't learnt the sounds yet. Look at target ID as you dig, most will be 01-09. But like I stated don't use this a a reason to dig or not dig, just spend the 200 hours learning the basics, then come back to us. There are no short-cuts in good detecting, only hard work & digging.

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
They are even older. In this area the people lived between 7th-2nd BC. The nails have been there when I've been searching with the AtPro but I didn't dig then. With the Deus the sounded like bronze or silver.

Keeping in mind I'm a newbie to the deus as well, yes I did find some nails with abnormally large heads sound similar to deep bronze.

If you do the wiggle technique for pinpointing or turn 90 degrees on and and sweep again it helps weed out some nails.
With the wiggle, they often break up near the end. Turning 90 degrees and you should hear the iron tone.
Some nails even produce a static noise when using the pinpoint function.

There are possibly more good little tricks to help weed out the scrap signals. I've found using no disc and full tones, I dig less nails.

This sound on the nails is extra common on the fairly mineralized soil I hunt on now.
It seems to be a lesser problem on low mineralized ground, IMO.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I didn't ment to hurt anyone's feeling. Sorry. I said I was disappointed and I can say it. Maybe it was not very clear. I said that every nail sounded like a bronze or silver coin and also show me a high number on the screen. Have I done something wrong? It can be. I tried all the settings except gold field.
I didn't said that after I received the machine I ran to the hill to try it. I have been using it in the parks, in the fields and now on my favourite place.
I said I'm disappointed and I can say it. I said my opinion is it is French stuff and I can express my opinion. I showed my last finds with that and that is the truth. So you can't say that I don't know how to use it.
If I did something wrong, lets discuss it. It can be helpful for me and others who want to update to Deus.
Next time I will make some clips.

Say you are disappointed in the Deus all you want, you are right you can say that all you want. Not sure how just doing that is making you better at using the Deus or even your AT Pro. People usually don't just spout off here without wanting to learn more or to get some help. Don't need video clips, just tell people your settings so we can see if they need adjustment. Also, it helps if you are doing multiple replies that you quote the post you are replying to otherwise it's very confusing to those who are set up in linear (timeline) based forum reading mode. Hope you respond with some useful information on settings next time. Good luck.

Last edited:
OP
OP
vince76

vince76

Bronze Member
Oct 2, 2015
Macedonia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
!!! Spout off
As I said I didn't want to touch your feelings. If you are in love with the machine it doesn't mean that I can't express my opinion. I didn't say it is the worst or is not worth it. When I said I am disappointed it means that I was expecting more. This is my opinion after using it for six months. Why do I have to wait for two years to express myself and make you happy!!! Did I pay to solve the Deus puzzles? I'm not giving up. Sure I will use it and know it better but I can't find the reason why you are trying to be rude.

Tedyoh

Bronze Member
Apr 13, 2013
N.E. Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, NOX 600, XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll bet you are hunting in 18 kHz - stay out of that frequency for a while.....learn the machine in 8 kHz

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
!!! Spout off
As I said I didn't want to touch your feelings. If you are in love with the machine it doesn't mean that I can't express my opinion. I didn't say it is the worst or is not worth it. When I said I am disappointed it means that I was expecting more. This is my opinion after using it for six months. Why do I have to wait for two years to express myself and make you happy!!! Did I pay to solve the Deus puzzles? I'm not giving up. Sure I will use it and know it better but I can't find the reason why you are trying to be rude.
Within the bounds of Tnet rules you can express whatever opinion you like. In the same way we can respond to a headline 'Very disappointed with Deus Xp' (What response did you expect?)
I used to use Tesoro (Cru'Dad still does), when I changed to the XP Goldmax Power it was completely different but it improved my find rate that year by about 10 fold. When I upgrade to the Deus, even with my years of XP experience, I still dug loads of nails thinking they were good signals. Therefore, if you are changing from one manufacturer (Low end) to another manufacturer (Top end) you have to expect a massive learning curve, not instant results. Like I said, I dug loads of nails, but now when I dig them, I'm doing it on purpose not by accident.
You say six months but that could be 10 hours??? or 250 hours in our speak. You will look back on this post in 2 years time & reflect.
People have asked questions about your settings so they can help, no answers yet?
The factory setting of Deus Fast is a good one to learn on, are you using it?
We are here to help, so let us help.

Last edited:
OP
OP
vince76

vince76

Bronze Member
Oct 2, 2015
Macedonia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Disappointed not only for Deus but also by you mates. I'm sure if I expressed my opinion to Deus engineers, they would be more understanable.
Disappointed from you, yes that's right. The thread was about Deus but I also mentioned that I lately I became father with triplets. Is Against the Wind the only who is not blinded by Deus, Roman coins or Roman nails???
I would be very happy to answer all the questions and I will but just give more time. You have been so
patient with the Deus. You can do it also with a human?
I do always appreciate your help that's why I wrote on the forum.
I have been using all the settings but mostly Fast Deus. Searching in a hill is different from the fields. The staff is mostly 2-10cm. So I have not used Deus deep because I was digging every kind and size of nails. The numbers were jumping from 60 to 80.

OP
OP
vince76

vince76

Bronze Member
Oct 2, 2015
Macedonia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks mate. Cheers :thumbsup:

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You seem to want help but have spent more time getting offended than asking questions. Best of luck to you. Hope you get it figured out.

Last edited:

Dirtwisher

Nov 1, 2013
MA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 9" and 11", AT Pro, Propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hit the target from both angles and listen for even a small amount of buzz, change frequencies and see if signal stays good, and also try sticking the shovel in deep, below the target, just cracking the earth open a little. Very often that little disruption will disturb the halo that can make iron sound good and turn it into a buzz. I had an ATP before Deus. Deus is faster and goes deeper but both the machine and your ear must be tailored to the site. It's not for everyone though, and don't take it personally when others give pointers. You also asked for help (said you can't understand why the nails are fooling you). On the battery side, I've saved a lot on batteries in the last 3 yrs. just plug it in when you get home. The pins in the coil charger are not very robust and I've had to to buy a couple charging clips. That's a legit complaint and I wish they would beef those up.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Disappointed not only for Deus but also by you mates. I'm sure if I expressed my opinion to Deus engineers, they would be more understanable.
Disappointed from you, yes that's right. The thread was about Deus but I also mentioned that I lately I became father with triplets. Is Against the Wind the only who is not blinded by Deus, Roman coins or Roman nails???
I would be very happy to answer all the questions and I will but just give more time. You have been so
patient with the Deus. You can do it also with a human?
I do always appreciate your help that's why I wrote on the forum.
I have been using all the settings but mostly Fast Deus. Searching in a hill is different from the fields. The staff is mostly 2-10cm. So I have not used Deus deep because I was digging every kind and size of nails. The numbers were jumping from 60 to 80.
To be totally honest the first thing I would of done was congratulate you on your new arrivals had I not been blinded your headline. You basically went on the WWW. belittling a machine that is hugely capable & is used on the forum by many members who have been hugely successful with it. The only choice you gave me was to defend the machine I use to great affect. I don't want any clueless people to read that headline & think that all the Deus can find is nails. By now, if you know me well enough, I focus on facts, its what I do & how my brain works.(And no, I'm not good with Humans or writing, that's my Asperger syndrome coming through) I could apologize, but it would be a little hollow as I would do it again under the same circumstances.
If we can start again, I never hold grudges, & I'm not upset with you at all, maybe you are with me, but I'm not on here to make friends, look at my profile, I still have none.
Lets get back on track & work out whats going on, because I know your be happy once your through the learning curve.

My first observation is that the targets are VERY shallow. Are there really no digs deeper than 10cm? (sounds like no upgrade was needed, if that's the range you work in)
60-80 is a very strange range to get nails. I find it hard to explain why that would happen. I do get some deep nails that confuse the machine but not shallow ones like your digging. This will make your learning curve even longer, because it took me over a year (500 hours) to get good with the sounds alone & over 2 years to get where I wanted to be.
I'm starting to think the ground affect/conditions is affecting the machine. As a test, do those same nails give the same response in a air test at home?

Last edited:

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
From going from the Minelab camp to the Dues I have dug enough iron to fill a half of a 45 gallon barrel. I wasn't overly impressed with the depth, or the separation, nor with the high tones being big iron. But impressed with digging multi-targets missed with the Minelab. Now with a 100+ hours on the machine (4 months) I have a little more sense on what it's doing. Still I am a Dues newbie and figure that another 900 hrs I'll be at a stage where I can say I have grown comfortable knowing what it's telling me. It's learning curve and going from a machine that I know to a new machine can be a daunting task for me, as my tech skills are minimum to say the least, but I know it's a numbers game and the more time and holes will be the answer to it all.

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Here is my deep program, but this is HEAR ALL Program. You will hear every nail but you must learn to ignore them, if thats what you want. I clear big iron, & year on year I clear the big nails, then the small nails & so on, until no signals are left.
There are no short-cuts to success. Believing people/manufacturers who tell you these machines will ignore rubbish are selling a pipe-dream.
Notch 00-00
Disc 0
Sens 95 (if ground allows)
Freq 12
Iron Vol 0
Reactivity 2
Audio 05

I don't know a thing about the Deus, but I will attest to the fact that with just about any detector you're much better off if you actually hear every single iron chirp. Many detectorists have a tendency to turn up the discrimination setting so as not to hear the iron, but with my Fisher F75SE I firmly believe in hunting with zero discrimination (but not all-metal) which allows you to audibly distinguish between iron and non-ferrous targets. This results in being able to hear all targets when you enter an iron-riddled area and to determine how dense the iron is, which will help govern your swing speed (more iron means slower sweep speed). My experience also tells me the non-ferrous signals are less likely to be masked when you can hear everything the detector is passing over. If all your iron signals are being nulled out due to high levels of discrimination, it can also lead to loss of focus and impatience. This could result in faster swinging and inefficient coverage, and some good targets will likely be missed. Increasing your detector’s processing speed, and I think you have that option with the Deus, can also help combat the masking problem in heavy iron. You can also elect to lower the sensitivity, or utilize a combination of these settings. Experience is also a very key factor .... as always.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know a thing about the Deus, but I will attest to the fact that with just about any detector you're much better off if you actually hear every single iron chirp. Many detectorists have a tendency to turn up the discrimination setting so as not to hear the iron, but with my Fisher F75SE I firmly believe in hunting with zero discrimination (but not all-metal) which allows you to audibly distinguish between iron and non-ferrous targets. This results in being able to hear all targets when you enter an iron-riddled area and to determine how dense the iron is, which will help govern your swing speed (more iron means slower sweep speed). My experience also tells me the non-ferrous signals are less likely to be masked when you can hear everything the detector is passing over. If all your iron signals are being nulled out due to high levels of discrimination, it can also lead to loss of focus and impatience. This could result in faster swinging and inefficient coverage, and some good targets will likely be missed. Increasing your detector’s processing speed, and I think you have that option with the Deus, can also help combat the masking problem in heavy iron. You can also elect to lower the sensitivity, or utilize a combination of these settings. Experience is also a very key factor .... as always.
You make a great point, that is exactly how I do detect.

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The easiest way to tell if a target is iron is move the coil slowly back away from the target, it should start to buzz, a none ferrous target won't.

SS

Tedyoh

Bronze Member
Apr 13, 2013
N.E. Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, NOX 600, XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am starting to dig it all now at my old sites as well as Cru stated, found a gold ring and a gold love token a few years back....who knows what else is lying under the big iron

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

gwdigger

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2006
Ocean City, Md
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I do confess to digging large head nails on some of my older sites (18 - 22+mm heads). But I don't look at numbers. I simply dig it if it sounds good. But its not really a problem on my sites and I dig anything that even resembles a dig-able tone. Also, I sat out the upgrade to 4.0. It is 3.2 for me, for now. The only other time I had issues digging iron is one area of uber silty soil after prolonged rain. I tried using a CTX 3030 there and it wont even operate. I simply reduced the sens A LOT on my Deus and it solved the problem for the most part. Happy to say I took to my Deus very well and pretty much don;t dig much iron at the majority of sites...

TORRERO

30+ YEARS, XP DEUS I & II ARE MY GO TO MACHINES
Nov 17, 2004
NC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS I & II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I recently got a Deus and being a longtime hunter with other machines, I can see what your talking about referring to the Iron....
But I have not dug any nails, just Iron peaces that are really big, like palm size or finger size... and they come up sounding good.. I used the HF Elliptical, good depth and some things my friend could not get, but he said...
he does not want to dig those big Iron targets in 100 degree heat... after watching me...
I have limited experience with the DEUS, but try using with the horseshoe display and look where the display shows... good targets come up on the RIGHT and Iron on the LEFT. Also I don't know if this helps but, turn your discrimination UP to 30..
XP DEUS said put it at 10, but I tested even the teeniest pieces of GOLD. and nothing comes through under about 30.... some fine chains were about 28 29 in air test, but realistically I don't think you will get them in parks and such.... extra fine gold rings were at 7 on my DFX meter something I normally would not dig, but on the DEUS they were 35 -38 numbers, so the numbers are a bit higher on the DEUS scale....
Hope this helps..
Richard

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Congrats on your Triplets, first.

I'll beat a dead horse by saying just one thing. Time of Use -

After 100 hours I thought I knew everything about the CTX. After 500 hours I thought I knew most everything about my CTX. After 1000 hours I realize I will never stop learning things about my machine. I own a Deus and it's the same scenario, before both I owned a T2. Perhaps I'm a slow learner but I digress. Learning your machine is everything

I'm sorry you're disappointed with the Deus and us. Give the Deus more time, play with the settings incl. ones some members gave, and have fun. I know what it's like to have young ones, and finding time to detect. It's tough. Enjoy the kids and the hobby and learn when you can. I spent this past weekend with my kids (3, and 7) and didn't detect despite perfect weather. Anyway, Tnet has a bunch of cool dudes and a "reset" like Crusader suggested would probably be most beneficial. I'll be listening as well to see if I can brush up on my Deus skills;)

Cheers

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used my new Deus for the first time last week and think I have a pretty good handle on detecting in general, but didn't think I was going to turn on the machine and be as proficient as I am with my Explorer... which I've used for over 15 years. I knew going into the hunt I would have an issue with iron - heck I knew before buying it I would. But I also knew what to expect for the positive things, and seen that. Will I use the Deus enough to know it extremely well, I'm not sure... but I will be happy to dig some iron at a site it seems like there's nothing left if it gets me a few more targets. My Minelab makes a lot of noise in iron and if I was to give it to any non user they'd be completely confused, so it's no different for me trying to use a Deus.

I will say the one thing that does puzzle me. I bought my Deus with the wired backphones to use my grey ghosts. The backphones work fine, but my GG (NDT) with a headphone plug adapter do not. Yet, my friends phones he was using on his CTX were fine with my set up, so we had to switch. I tried flicking the switch on the GG and still nothing, and also noticed when holding the plug about 3/4 into the jack on the remote my phones would emit sound. So I know my remote is fine, the adapter cord is fine, but there's something that is different about my GG phones. My friend's phones were from a uni probe I think he said, so also made by Detector Pro. The only thing that comes to mind is stereo vs mono, but I assumed all would be the same... at least these three. But clearly something is different.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread