Very early desk. Tell me what you think!!!

captain flintlock

Jul 21, 2015
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Living in Ct for many years now, I've developed a passion for very old things. I also feel that everything deserves to tell its story no matter what condition it's in. So my wife and I are at an estate auction a week or so ago and I spotted this early drop front desk. A couple of other guys were looking at it and stated that it didn't sell the week before and the auctioneer wouldn't go lower than $50. Recognizing the dovetail joints and rose head nails and other clues, I came to the conclusion that it's definitely 18th century. But boy does it need a lot of love!! The construction is solid but cosmetically it's a hot mess!! So when the desk came up, the auctioneer started at $75.00, then down to $50, then down to $25.00. My right hand developed a sudden twitch and flailed into the air! ( while conveniently holding my #). I was now the proud owner of an 18th century desk for $25.00. The pictures are as I bought it before any cleaning. I'm probably going to paint it rather than staining due to some discoloration but haven't crossed that bridge yet. So tell me if you think I did ok or bought a "pig in a poke"!! I haven't started any work on it yet but will do so soon. I'm familiar with antique furniture and have some woodworking skills so I'm confident that I can make it look better than it is. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1446772465.516911.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1446772492.459451.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1446772508.182746.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1446772525.540482.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1446772540.049619.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1446772555.806695.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1446772588.240586.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1446772606.882717.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1446772626.876584.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1446772645.985444.jpg

NaturalJWL

Jul 19, 2007
NC
Just my opinion, but the discolor could add to the character if it was just cleaned and maybe oiled, or light oil stain applied........I like it.....

GlenDronach

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I second that. Take it to a shop that sells these, see what they think.

Anything major and cosmetic I'd leave up to the buyer. You might be erasing the history of the piece by painting over it.

iloveshinythings

May 30, 2015
TN
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't Paint It!!!! Start with linseed oil and a rag for cleaning. Then you can use lemon oil to restore the color. If you paint it, you will destroy any historic value. It may be uneven in color, but painted it will not matter when it was made How wide is that back plank? Board width can help you date it, as the wider the board, typically the earlier it was created because the old growth trees provided great and wide boards for carpenters in the early settler days. If it is an American piece you may have hit some serious money.

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No paint! Do as the others say.

trdhrdr007

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2009
Definitely don't paint it. That might be the original "grain paint" or "comb paint" finish. Until you find out otherwise you need to very careful you don't remove the finish. Although it's entirely possible it's 18th century I'm doubtful.

OP
OP
captain flintlock

captain flintlock

Jul 21, 2015
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah I wasn't sure on the paint myself. Even if it's a historically accurate color. The former owner was a master woodworker and I think started refinishing it. There is no original exterior finish left! I know that's not recommend but not sure what it looked like before. There's also a patch repair on the upper left drop front that he must have done. I'll start with a good proper cleaning and go from there. The boards (2) on the back are very wide also indicating age!! Keep the comments coming as this is going to be my winter project. I wish it had the shelves and drawers in the desktop but for $25 I'm not going to complain!

OP
OP
captain flintlock

captain flintlock

Jul 21, 2015
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will also probably keep this piece for ourselves as opposed to flipping it. My wife and I always joke about a piece "speaking" to me and this one was. Thanks again for all of your opinions and thoughts.

kali_is_my_copilot

Feb 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey, imo even the most meticulous & successful DIY restoration will reduce (if not eliminate) any reselling potential (which is totally fine hear me out!). Unless a piece like this is restored by an established reputable person using period-appropriate techniques/tools/materials it holds no interest for serious collectors, which doesn't matter since you obviously want to make it your own :) I think that starting with a thorough cleaning is def the way to go, and if I were diving into this project I would focus on soundness over eye appeal until the very end, have fun!

dumpsterdiver

Dec 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll go against the grain on this one. I have a few booths at one antique mall. I bet it would sit for sale a couple months at $50 in the condition you bought it. Not that its not a great deal but in general people don't like to pay for something not ready to go in their house or they want it for nothing if they have plans for it. And the person who paid $50 would defiantly be a dealer. I like to find them with most of the finish gone. Half of the work is done. You might be surprised once you start cleaning their is usually more finish than you think. I mineral oil, maybe sand, stain and wax. That is not professional advice but seems to work well for me. It is a sound payoff on profit versus time spent. A lady called me the other day and wanted the best price on a tiger oak dresser she wanted to paint.:icon_scratch: The crimes people commit against furniture.

I don't paint anything unless its pretty far gone.

Its also very satisfying to some people to refinish a piece.

I just scrolled through all the slant front writing desk on eBay and the few that sold over $1000 sure look like they had been "cleaned" up or kept in a museum.

Really nice find. I think you got a good deal. Also I have heard they make a wood bleach if the stains bother you. I also heard it is tricky to use.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread