Very interesting article I found while researching "Panic Disorder"

mikeofaustin

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Detector(s) used
dfx
Very interesting article I found while researching "Panic Disorder"

As you may already know, I've had a recent, and very profound experience with Panic Disorder. Very simply put, it's something that I would consider to be the top 2 worst experiences in my entire life. I would NEVER want even my worst enemy to experience this. To put it bluntly, I was going mad and I knew it!!!

We've all had our broken bones, sprained ankles and other bodily issues with pain. That's with the body. But, can you image what might happen when your brain is broken? It's simply downright scary, and VERY debilitating.

Recently I had my first panic attack, and it's been escalating 'exponentially' ever since. The most profound day was last wednesday when I had to drive clear across the city (a 120 minute drive both ways) to take care of business. The entire way was a FULL ON panic attack. Every single car that was near me was an extreme issue for me. It was indeed, a problem like I have never encountered before. Every second I was looking at a place to pull over if I got 'really bad', but I didn't in fear because I felt if I did pull over, I would never be able to get back on the road.

Can you imagine going into panic, just for just fear of going into panic? It's that real, and its called 'Panic Disorder'.

I've since goggled the heck out of this problem since that day and I think I may have a solution to this immediate problem that I personally have. If you have panic attacks or something of that effect, please read this. I believe my problem was very similar to the first person in this study.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1295099/pdf/jrsocmed00073-0017.pdf

To those that are reading this and have never had a panic attack before... this is how I describe it:
When you're talking to a group of people in the hallway about something non-important, and you accidentally drop your pencil, all the sudden you feel panic that is on par with almost having a major car accident where you stomp on your brakes and narrowly saving your life.. You step outside your car to realize you're in a state of panic. Can you imagine this feeling from just dropping a pencil? Or being in line at a grocery store and feeling trapped in a line? or a stop light and feeling that it might never turn green? To the normal person, its' just frustration, but to me, it was complete panic!!!

It's really debilitating.

"A giant like myself, I find, is actually very delicate". -MikeOfAustin

OP
OP
mikeofaustin

mikeofaustin

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Detector(s) used
dfx
Re: Very interesting article I found while researching "Panic Disorder"

Real de Tayopa said:
Mike, I know exactly just how you feel. MY tiger has that, plus Agoraphobia. Wanna talk?

Don Jose de la Mancha

I quickly realized that I was about to have 'agoraphobia', and I realized that I simply have to 'bulldoze' through this illness. Last Wednesday, the worst day yet, I forced my self to go across town. Tomorrow I'll do it again.

Since I've stopped drinking, when I'm out in public (at the bank today for example), I felt myself 'having those feeling' again. I got angry with myself and did everything I could to put them behind me (didn't work of course).

I hate this thing that I've developed. I realize that it's a purely mental problem that I've created for myself.... and I hate it, but dang it, I'll will bulldoze one. Dang it , Dang it!!!!!!!

Has you read the link that I posted? How long has 'tiger' had this problem?

pygmy

Jul 4, 2008
Detector(s) used
hound dog

You said Mike "since you stopped drinking". These panic attacks you are
experiencing are simply one of many symptoms of alcohol withdrawal.
Profound sweating on the head is another. Darkening of urine.

Withdrawal Symptoms:
Mild to moderate psychological symptoms:

Feeling of jumpiness or nervousness
Feeling of shakiness
Anxiety
Irritability or easily excited
Emotional volatility, rapid emotional changes
Depression
Fatigue
Difficulty with thinking clearly
Bad dreams

Mild to moderate physical symptoms:

Headache - general, pulsating
Sweating, especially the palms of the hands or the face
Nausea
Vomiting
Loss of appetite
Insomnia, sleeping difficulty
Paleness
Rapid heart rate (palpitations)
Eyes, pupils different size (enlarged, dilated pupils)
Skin, clammy
Abnormal movements
Tremor of the hands
Involuntary, abnormal movements of the eyelids

Severe symptoms:

A state of confusion and hallucinations (visual) -- known as delirium tremens
Agitation
Fever
Convulsions
"Black outs" -- when the person forgets what happened during the drinking episode

Mike I told you this a month ago. You have to weather it out for a week with zero alcohol
and recognise that you are an alcoholic, now requiring total abstinence.
This means your social life AS YOU NOW KNOW IT will disappear as will your
drinking buddies and maybe your partner.
A RADICAL life change has to occur as this is a life and death crossroads your at.

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

I would say you gotta confront your fears, keeping yourself boxed in is only going to mess you up more.
Maybe a small library, go in there sit down pick up a magazine and read.
No one will notice you, you'll be sitting down so you don't have to worry about toppling over, and getting your mind used to the fact that no harm is going to befall you out in public will increase your confidence to where you can eventually do what you please without worrying about freaking out.

Its mind over matter, and dominance of will.
You are weak right now, and letting the gremlins get the best of you.
Its time to kick their asses, and show them whos boss.

OP
OP
mikeofaustin

mikeofaustin

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Detector(s) used
dfx

Yes, You are correct... Have you read the attached PDF on the original post? (that was what I was getting at with my 'understanding').

Yes, I realize now that it's an dependency problem that I would have never seen. I mean, who could see such a mental problem. I would suspect only a liver problem, not at all a 'mental' problem. Please read the attached PDF, it is very enlightening. If not for yourself, for someone down the road that is experiencing this same problem.

Again, this isn't like a broken bone where you can cry and feel pain. This is a mental thing where your MIND is messed up and 'hurt' is a whole new thing.

I can go on all day about my problem that is affecting millions of people, but I won't. My explanation wouldn't even the slightest begin to description the terror that you could get, than if you were to look up the sickness "Panic Disorder" and read about it..

Please, if you just have just 2 minutes, Google the term "Panic disorder". Its' a horror thing that would make a very good horror movie.

I've lived it. I hate it. You would too. Trust me. ...But I would hope that you never experience it.

And yes Pig, a big part of my recovery has been to stop drinking. Perhaps I should have listened to you a while earlier. I have a whole new perspective on your knowledge. Thanks pig. I will not push your ideas aside as much as I used too. (sorry for that)

Thank you.

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

mikeofaustin said:
Yes, You are correct... Have you read the attached PDF on the original post? (that was what I was getting at with my 'understanding').

Yes, I realize now that it's an dependency problem that I would have never seen. I mean, who could see such a mental problem. I would suspect only a liver problem, not at all a 'mental' problem. Please read the attached PDF, it is very enlightening. If not for yourself, for someone down the road that is experiencing this same problem.

Nope, didn't read it.
Just a gut feeling.

I had a pretty bad drinking problem for a few years, one night decided I needed to quit, and I did.
I went a year, then a year and a half, I had it counted down almost to the hour ,,, Then one day I decided I should celebrate a year and a half of being sober ,,, By having a drink !
So I went on a year long binge, then I decided again I needed to quit, and I did.
This time I didn't count the days, and that worked better.
I have no desire to get drunk anymore.
Once in a great while I'll chug a few wine coolers at a social event or special occasion, and I feel no need to do it again for a month, or year.
I drank a big jug of wine 4th of July, had a couple buddies at a campfire with a guitar ect, I got ripped ,,, But that was the 1st and probably the last time I drank anything this year.

Everyones different, maybe that wouldn't work for you, but I feel that I am easily able to assert my will power over any temptations that come my way, and if I do something dumb its because I wanted to.
I know how easy it is to make excuses for yourself, we've all done it ... But you gotta get above that and affirm your will power over the various demons we all encounter as we go through life, and this includes whatever is causing your panic attacks.

I've never even thought about panic attacks in my life, so obviously take my advice with a grain of salt, but I believe the mind is the key.
You are capable of taking control, toss the metal blocks to the side, throw the crutches away, and walk straight & proud.
Soon you'll be able to horse laugh those demons, and even dare them to do their worse, because you know that you've got them locked in a box, and they'll never get out unless you yourself open it.

I realize this may sound a bit metaphorical or whatever, just my way of explaining things for lack of better terms.
Good luck, anyways.

pygmy

Jul 4, 2008
Detector(s) used
hound dog

Alcoholism is an incurable sickness and advice about willpower, being a man etc
is of zero benefit as you will have this disease until you die; accept it.
Total abstinence is your only salvation.
This means avoiding places where alcohol is consumed.
Clearly Xray is not an alcoholic.

The good news is that these symptoms will vanish in a few weeks and never come back
---so long as you abstain.
No more mouthwash or use of alcohol based cleaning products as skin absorption will occur.

Why are you an alcoholic and others are not---because you have an incurable chemical
imbalance in your body that others don't have.

If you smoke , you have to give this up at the same time, else you will not succeed
as the brain has learnt to associate smoking and drinking together.

OP
OP
mikeofaustin

mikeofaustin

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Detector(s) used
dfx

Pig, Your right.

My main goal right now is to get right with my brain.

To the inexperienced... it's nothing.

But to the experienced.. it's hell on wheels.

I pray that no one has to deal with panic disorder the way I experienced it. And HOPEFULLY, it's now behind me now that I've taken steps to curb my dependency.

Again, it's an experience that you would NEVER want to experience. It's pure hell.

Thanks Pig.

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

piggy said:
Alcoholism is an incurable sickness and advice about willpower, being a man etc
is of zero benefit as you will have this disease until you die; accept it.
Total abstinence is your only salvation.
This means avoiding places where alcohol is consumed.
Clearly Xray is not an alcoholic.

The good news is that these symptoms will vanish in a few weeks and never come back
---so long as you abstain.
No more mouthwash or use of alcohol based cleaning products as skin absorption will occur.

Why are you an alcoholic and others are not---because you have an incurable chemical
imbalance in your body that others don't have.

If you smoke , you have to give this up at the same time, else you will not succeed
as the brain has learnt to associate smoking and drinking together.

piggy you are full of it - If thats what you have yourself talked into, then thats exactly what you are going to believe.
Just another example of people looking for excuses "oh its an incurable disease, thats right ... Oh, my grandfather was an alcoholic too so it runs in the family" ect ect ad nauseum.
I got news, I believed all that religiously at a point in my life when I was more than willing to accept any excuse that came down the pike - And when I threw that negative, self depreciating attitude overboard, is when I started making progress.
Don't tell me "Clearly Xray is not an alcoholic" you jackass.
You don't know me except for words on a computer screen these last few days when I started posting in everything else.
You don't know my yesterdays, I don't know yours - I'm not going to pretend I do, I'd appreciate if you'd do the same.
You want to tell me drinking a 5th of 100 proof Bacardi every single day for 2 or 3 years isn't an alcoholic ? And that was after a couple years of non stop wild irish rose, mad dog 20/20, and boones farm, each of which will get you howling at the moon and getting in fights with trees, every single time.
My ass I wasn't an alcoholic, knew it then, I know it now ,,, And theres always someone like you coming down the pike, trying to offer some goofy textbook solution that'll end up messing you up worse than if you just stayed drinking.
Keep making excuses thats right, see where it gets you - The road to hell is paved with good intentions, and poor excuses.

"Mind over matter" Mike, write it down.
Don't accept feeble excuses as valid.

pygmy

Jul 4, 2008
Detector(s) used
hound dog

Xray, educate yourself.
The volume of alcohol drunk has nothing to do with being an alcoholic.
It simply means you were a boozer.
This is just more machismo talk from yourself , about yourself, just as was
your willpower speech.

Next you will tell us shell shock doesn't exist, it's just in the mind , have willpower
get over it.

OP
OP
mikeofaustin

mikeofaustin

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Detector(s) used
dfx

x-ray my friend.... please dont get upset. The sickness that I have cannot be described in a simple forum. lets keep it friendly. O.k.? This is something that no-one has ever experienced in there lifes. A Panic attack is something that only those that experienced it, can undrestand.

OP
OP
mikeofaustin

mikeofaustin

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Detector(s) used
dfx

Im still waiting for people to read my PDF file that I attached.... and their idea on that.

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Sure piggy ... And what you say is gospel of course, because google & wikipedia told you !

I've said what I have to say, don't want to cause you any more anxiety Mike so I'll butt out.

pygmy

Jul 4, 2008
Detector(s) used
hound dog

mikeofaustin said:
Im still waiting for people to read my PDF file that I attached.... and their idea on that.
I read the article and take heart that in each case the symptoms vanished shortly after TOTAL
abstinence.
During the withdrawal phase take a B Complex and B6 vitamin and eat as much as you
can get down in plain(unspiced) wholesome foods.

Unicorn

Nov 18, 2007
Birmingham
Primary Interest:
Other

Mike....Let me just say firstly.....This isnt a disease, it is an illness, or a condition. Many years ago like you I suffered dreadfully with those panic attacks that you have described. I know exactly how you feel, you think you are going to go mad. This condition was initially bought about by my hubby's alcholism, and all of the madness that goes with this illness. It is something that unless you have been thru it yourself, is to other people a complete unknown. You feel so alone and helpless at times. But I have to say, that as well as trying to conquer this thing by yourself, I would suggest going to see your doctor. My own doctor was so supportive of me during this time, and he prescribed a medication that is specifically meant for this condition. Believe me this helped me so much during this period. He told me that this condition can be bought about by the lack of serotonin in your body, so by prescribing a serotonin drug it can help you. It takes about 3 weeks for it to get into your system. If it is this condition, don't try and fight it alone, get some help.
Thankfully my hubby has been sober now for over 20 yrs, but I pray that I won't ever have to go thru those times again.
People will say "oh come on pull yourself together" but little do they know that you do not want feel this way, you arent willing this to happen. It's there, and if you feel that you need help, please go and get it.
I hope you will begin to feel better soon, and if I can be of any help to you please ask.

regards U.

GPURS

Apr 18, 2007
N.E. of Atlanta

Good luck with this deal Mike. A trip to a physician and/or psychologist is what you need to do. Trying to fix these things on the internet will likely cause confusion and more panic. You've got people on here trying to diagnose who is an alcoholic and who is not??? Take B complex and eat your way out of panic attacks???? Crap like this could kill you..
You need to seek professional help and get out from under this deal,, the correct way.. Good luck, Gpurs..

pygmy

Jul 4, 2008
Detector(s) used
hound dog

The B complex and B6 and B1 are used to both help during the withdrawal recovery phase
and with B1 to help prevent wernicke syndrome or "wet brain".
Most doctors know little(the specifics) about most medical issues and will simply refer you
on( more expense).
You will need a course of mild barbituates but do your research before visiting the doc
for a prescription as he will probably mal-medicate especially with the dosage.

This advice is in lieu of you entering a de-tox facility as you have no insurance.

In de-tox you would have had 3-5 hrs of daily group therapy.
In lieu of this go to many AA meetings.

OP
OP
mikeofaustin

mikeofaustin

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Detector(s) used
dfx

TO be fair, I feel like I'm a very resourceful and bright person (despite my careless spelling). I do research on the internet because I know that I can get 'hints' of what the problems might be... Especially because they crept up on me so fast in this later stage in life. AND, since I've cut waayyy back on my drinking, the attacks are pretty much gone. i mean, I'll get the occasional 'nervous feeling' while in line at the supermarket, but I think that's normal due to what I just went through. But I've not had a panic attack yet since.

I really think it was some form of alcohol poisoning that got me. I mean, Wow... I'd take a hangover any day versus that horid trip I went through.

And you know what's strange? I think the reason it happened was because I 'NEVER' get a hangover from vodka, and that caused me to drink on successive nights... So, without the pain of a hangover, you don't say to yourself "I'll never do that again"... You just do it again the next night.

i had some Rum the other night. I love rum, but it gives me a hangover something fierce. Vodka doesn't. And let me tell you, I was bed ridden half the day from the rum... Also had my roof repaired that day too, so the hammering didn't help either. In fact, I was still drunk when I woke up to the hammering at 7:30 am... I went outside, climbed up on the roof and was couldn't speak a work of spanish except, "Bwano" and "mucho Cervasa". (they laughed and could clearly see I was hung over).

To anyone that has a mechanical aptitude, I now think of a hangover as kind of 'governor' of sorts. Without the governor, you'll burn out your rings in no time flat.

And yes, I've also read about the vitamin B. I also read about 'valerian root' and 'passion flower'. I got that stuff the first night from walgreens. I don't know if it was the placebo effect, but I think it helped. Yeah for placebo!!!

pygmy

Jul 4, 2008
Detector(s) used
hound dog

This last post tells me excuses and denial.
I'll remind you of one thing and that is if you drink again the next sequence of
withdrawal symptoms will be worse. Read it up.
Then you risk the chance of a Grand Mal seizure from which you probably won't survive.

Attachments

• Grand Mal Seizure.jpg
    Grand Mal Seizure.jpg
    15.1 KB · Views: 124

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread