Very interesting find ...

mugsisme

Bronze Member
Jan 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
At the consignment store yesterday, there was a silver tone thing chain with a round pendant with a blue stone in the middle. The tag said "925 $18". The clasp had one of those little tags that they put on gold jewelry. It reads, 14K H. Huh? What is KH? So I goggled it, and it said that the H was just the makers mark. So I got it. I get in the car, and it hits me, I didn't take a magnet to it. Oh man. The chain is magnetic. The pendant is not. Now I annoyed with myself for wasting money. I ran it by the jeweler today. The chain is nickle. The pendant, it's 14K white gold. Not only that, the stone is very interesting, and well set. He kept it, and is going to run a refractory test for me to find out exactly what it is. He said it could be a very, very good stone.

What is totally bizarre about the whole set up is the pendant and the chain had the same exact markings. The pendant was on the chain, and would not come off. It had to be cut off the chain. Hmm. Weird, huh.

2015-04-15 15.39.34.jpg

Last edited:

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Click on "Edit Post", then "Go Advanced" and scroll down to "Manage Attachments".

OP
OP
M

mugsisme

Bronze Member
Jan 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
I can take one. They couldn't do the test. I want to run the pendant some where else to make really, really sure it's gold. I just have a bad feeling. Why would the pendant be real on a fake chain by the original maker?

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can take one. They couldn't do the test. I want to run the pendant some where else to make really, really sure it's gold. I just have a bad feeling. Why would the pendant be real on a fake chain by the original maker?

Franklin mint makes a lot of sterling silver necklaces and they are all slightly magnetic. Maybe it's from one of them company types where it's not as pure as marked? What kinda stone is in it? Or didn't they say? Or what color.

Buy acid kit. Way cheaper then buying gas to run to the jewelers :)

kali_is_my_copilot

Feb 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mugs, I have a local pawn shop with a very fancy tester (it's like a fully enclosed box that the items go into) and as long as they aren't busy they'll throw whatever in there for me. It's extremely accurate!

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nickel is not magnetic.

batcap

Jun 22, 2010
Baltimore MD
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
That is indeed a weird situation. Do you still have the nickel chain-even in pieces? I'd at least acid test it. Once I bought a partial-plate (false teeth) at auction. It passed ALL my acid tests- didn't leave so much as a stain on the metal. Entirely non-magnetic. I took it to the pawn shop and the counter guy had to call the owner / guru. He personally tested behind a curtain, and said it was not gold/plat. I sent it to ARA in Texas, they sent it back without even trying-they said they saw it too many times to waste an acid bath on it. So . . . I threw it in the trash. That's why I eventually bought an electronic tester. I'd like to know just how odd that chain is.

OP
OP
M

mugsisme

Bronze Member
Jan 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Sorry, I tossed it. I still have the pendant, but I'm scared to do anything with it.

OP
OP
M

mugsisme

Bronze Member
Jan 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
You can send it to me I'll send it to the refinery for you. Then if it's real I'll just put the money in your PayPal account. If you'd like.

Maybe. I have to run it by a different jeweler. Just haven't had time.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread