Very odd grouping of small metal objects...need help!

capn

Greenie
Mar 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi guys.
Super stumped here.
Not even sure if this is where I should post this, but here goes nothing!

I actually bought these at an auction tonight. No one, including the auctioneer had any idea what they were. They looked very old and just spoke to me. I live in upstate/central new york and that is believed to be where these were found.

I really don't even have any ideas here.
I am guessing they are made of brass/bronze/copper? not sure. Just basing it off of the oxidation.

There are 5 solid pieces that have holes all the way through them. 3 are UFO shaped and 2 are slightly conical. Tried to show this as best I can in the pics. They are solid, not hollow. They have carved/stamped decorations around them. One has a 6 pointed star with a grid patter, others that look like rays, etc.

There is also a hollow metal piece with 2 cones going into it. Very odd. The ball portion seems to be 2 sperate pieces connected together.

There is also have a circle of thin metal with 2 holes at the bottom, and hot air balloon/whale shaped piece of thin metal.

Finally there is what looks like a tiny spoon. Has a hole near the base of the spoon part and hand-decorated on the actually surface of the spoon.

NO IDEA if these are at all related or not. Someone placed them in a display case as a grouping.

I can get more pics if need be. Penny is for reference.

I would love any help! I'd be very impressed if anyone can positively ID any of this.

Thanks guys

21aempx.jpg

2daesky.jpg

2po5edk.jpg

2417ddd.jpg

x5drtk.jpg

30tnofk.jpg

14jq3hy.jpg

dgi5nk.jpg

2liv61s.jpg

np5ily.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Glenn C

Nov 16, 2011
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I believe you have drawer handles. It would be late 1800 s to 1900s. I would like to see different angles of the axe looking object if you could.

OP
OP
C

capn

Greenie
Mar 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe you have drawer handles. It would be late 1800 s to 1900s. I would like to see different angles of the axe looking object if you could.

Drawer handles off of what? They are smaller than the diameter of a penny as you can see in the pics.

Thanks!

OP
OP
C

capn

Greenie
Mar 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I also realized that the copper colored bead (or whatever it is) has a 5 pointed star. You can see it in the pic too. So there is one with a 6 pointed star and one with a 5 pointed star. Both have crosshatching in the background.

Glenn C

Nov 16, 2011
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Which area are they from. They would not be furtrade because they are molded copper. They do seem old from the patina. The markings suggest some age. The ball with the tubes would not be Indian because that are molded. I have seen very crust coins so not sure what's going on with the round objects. Drawer pulls on a jellery box?

If they we found acroos the ocean and not north america that may be very old. That is the question. They are not old if from north america.

Interesting no doubt.

OP
OP
C

capn

Greenie
Mar 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Which area are they from. They would not be furtrade because they are molded copper. They do seem old from the patina. The markings suggest some age. The ball with the tubes would not be Indian because that are molded. I have seen very crust coins so not sure what's going on with the round objects. Drawer pulls on a jellery box?

If they we found acroos the ocean and not north america that may be very old. That is the question. They are not old if from north america.

Interesting no doubt.

If Europeans were bringing goods to trade with the Indians wouldn't they have molded/cast copper items? I'm new to this but I thought that's what the trade items were.
I've looked up other fur trade related items and I've seen very similar, molded/cast pieces to these "beads".
These are from upstate NY as far as I know.

Glenn C

Nov 16, 2011
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
When it comes to the fur trade era in North America, What i have seen to be found is kettle metal objects fashioned by the Native people. This is thin like tin. molded pieces would not have been introduced at a later time. It is very possible a traveler was wearing a charm bracelet which consisted of these objects, which it seems to be from when looking at it further. I am no expert but it is the first i have seen of cast items such as the small pieces that have been hand carved. The spoon has a hole in the neck and is small which also may be from the "bracelet ..necklace"?

Post it in the "what is this" section where it will be more exposed.

hope someone can Id it!

OP
OP
C

capn

Greenie
Mar 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When it comes to the fur trade era in North America, What i have seen to be found is kettle metal objects fashioned by the Native people. This is thin like tin. molded pieces would not have been introduced at a later time. It is very possible a traveler was wearing a charm bracelet which consisted of these objects, which it seems to be from when looking at it further. I am no expert but it is the first i have seen of cast items such as the small pieces that have been hand carved. The spoon has a hole in the neck and is small which also may be from the "bracelet ..necklace"?

Post it in the "what is this" section where it will be more exposed.

hope someone can Id it!

Thanks for the info and the help!

All of the other items in this grouping other than the 5 beads are made of a thin, tin-like material.

Each object does have a hole, so the theory that they were all strung together is very possible.

It's just hard because I got this at an auction and have no idea of the actual origins.
All I know is that came from the estate of an 1820 NY home.

I will post in the other section and see if any one has any other ideas.

dasabighole

Sep 11, 2006
North Alabama
Detector(s) used
Nautilus / Tesoro/T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks Indian to me. The spoon looks to be pewter with a hole in it to be worn as an ornament. The punch checking on the bowl looks indian as well. Like a big ear bob. The beads look copper not brass. and are most likley native copper. The wierd looking piece ????????? rolled copper, coiled and inserted into a button??????? I would have bought them. trade 015.jpg

OP
OP
C

capn

Greenie
Mar 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks Indian to me. The spoon looks to be pewter with a hole in it to be worn as an ornament. The punch checking on the bowl looks indian as well. Like a big ear bob. The beads look copper not brass. and are most likley native copper. The wierd looking piece ????????? rolled copper, coiled and inserted into a button??????? I would have bought them. View attachment 911564

Thanks!

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I were you I would try going under the assumption they came from your area and research "Native American contact period Items" using that term

OP
OP
C

capn

Greenie
Mar 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I were you I would try going under the assumption they came from your area and research "Native American contact period Items" using that term

Can't find much with that exact search term. Anything in images seems to be stone (mostly arrowheads).

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I replaced the word items with the word artifacts.. I started to find photos like this

1124_Sanford05.jpg

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some of your items look like old north african Nupe bronze/copper beads, and bead cap cones. They could date to 200 +- years old.

2ndNupe_bronze.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread