Very old coins

varmint

Jan 23, 2005
Lawrenceville, GA
Worth is a delicate subject.

The price a dealer will give a seller (you) is WELL below what that dealer will sell that exact same coin for.

Having said that, here is one link I use from time to time: ?http://coin-shop.com/index.html

I'll probably look them up out of my own curiousity, but gotta run right now.

Regards,

DAS

nick1878

Feb 7, 2005
SE Indiana
A dealer with offer you up to 40% of a coins value. So whatever he offers, double that and that is roughly the RETAIL value.

TrpnBils

Jan 2, 2005
Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I know this is ressurrecting an old topic but I was bored, reading, and found this. Now I'm curious. What exactly is "retail" value if you can only sell it to a coin dealer for 40% of that? I would think whatever they're selling for in the retail market is what their retail value would be

benthecoinguy

Jul 9, 2005
a coin worth depends on its grade.
a coin is usually graded with the following terms.
G= good
VG= verygood
F= fine
Vf= very fine
XF= extrafine
AU= about uncirculated
UNC= uncirculated
If your coins were in the following conditions they would be worth the following according to US coin digest
1893 indian head= g= 1.70$ vg= 2.25$ f=3.00 vf= 5.00$ xf= 10.00$ Au= 22.00$
1892 indian head g= 2.00$ vg= 2.25$ f=3.00 vf = 5.00$ xf= 16.00$ Au= 20.00$
1905 indian head g=1.35$ vg= 1.65 f=1.85 vf= 3.00$ xf= 7.00$ Au= 17.00$
As for your standing liberty quarter the value depends on the mint mark. Ex. D S or no letter at all
As for your 1807 dime if it were in good condition it would be worth 450$
Now thats a coin!
to further understand the gradings i advise you to research it it would help you greatly when needing to look up another coin.
there are plenty of good books that give the values of US coins
benthecoinguy

redbird

Jul 29, 2005
retail is the price a collector will pay for a coin, basically full book value,
most dealers (notice i did not say all) will claim to operate on a 10% profit margin, they will buy a coin at "bid" which is like 40% of the retail value, then they beat you up because the coin has a scratch on it, or some BS so they end up buying the coin for 10% of its actual worth, but once they put it in the showcase, all the problems "go away" and now the coin is gem, and the dealer makes 90% profit on that coin. you dont see very many coin dealers go out of business, they usually die very wealthy. anyone that doesnt agree, prove it to yourself, take a valuable coin to a dealer, and ask him what he thinks it is worth, but act like you have no idea that it could be worth anything more than a few bucks, if the dealer is honest, he will offer you about 75% of retail, which is still more than a 10% profit margin, but dont be too surprised when he offers you $50 for that 1916d dime i realize that dealers have to eat, but do they have to lie about thier profit margins ? if you sell to a collector, you will get the best price

miester

May 21, 2005
Wi
Redbird, very well put, Out of curiosity I took 5 very old, mint state coins in to a shop for an opinion as to value. He said they were worth a couple of thousand, I thought something smelled fishy and started watching auction sites for realized prices. Just as I suspected, just one of those coins even in a lesser grade than mine went from 1800to3200 bucks. Now I know they have rent,utility bills ect. but I don't want to help pay for his cigarette boat.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread