Tinytech

Tenderfoot
Sep 6, 2017
NC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi! I'm new to the forum so please let me know if I do anything wrong :). I bought this small but intricately carved and painted rocking horse at a local thrift store. It appears to be very old with some nails and putty of some sort attaching the carved solid wood body to the rocker base. There are no markings on the horse. It is small at approximately 30 inches long and 18 inches tall. Does anyone know the approximate age or value of this item? Thank you!

Attachments

• IMG_7873.JPG
    IMG_7873.JPG
    510.8 KB · Views: 109
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    691.4 KB · Views: 100
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 84
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    960.9 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_7876.JPG
    IMG_7876.JPG
    852.6 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_7875.JPG
    IMG_7875.JPG
    818.8 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_7871.JPG
    IMG_7871.JPG
    1,003.9 KB · Views: 97
  • IMG_7873.JPG
    IMG_7873.JPG
    643.3 KB · Views: 100
Last edited:

AlienLifeForm

Bronze Member
Jan 31, 2010
DFW Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC, Garrett ProPointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your photos aren't showing, would love to see the rocking horse though.

OP
OP
Tinytech

Tinytech

Tenderfoot
Sep 6, 2017
NC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks AlienLifeForm for letting me know. I edited the post and I believe the pics are visible now

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It looks to me like a homemade piece probably in the last 50 years but that is a straight up guess . Very charming

AlienLifeForm

Bronze Member
Jan 31, 2010
DFW Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC, Garrett ProPointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First one like it I have ever seen, it is a neat piece. Kind of 'folk-artsy' which is a good thing.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can't tell for sure, but I do lean towards this item as being a recently made piece that's made for the import market and sold through shops such as Pier 1 Imports. A lady I know who operates a flea market booth, really focuses on buying these type items you can find at yard sales and thrift shops cheap. She does pretty good at selling them in her booth and I was told she's one of the top performers in sales each month with the things she finds. Items like these are not cheap when you buy them retail.

Attachments

• bali-handicrafts-5-balinese-crafts.jpg
    bali-handicrafts-5-balinese-crafts.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 85

chub

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2017
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Minelab Soveriegn XS 2
Nokta pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can't tell for sure, but I do lean towards this item as being a recently made piece that's made for the import market and sold through shops such as Pier 1 Imports. A lady I know who operates a flea market booth, really focuses on buying these type items you can find at yard sales and thrift shops cheap. She does pretty good at selling them in her booth and I was told she's one of the top performers in sales each month with the things she finds. Items like these are not cheap when you buy them retail.

+1

I bought some rocking elephants in Thailand some time ago and the wood appears very similar grain to what you have there. Construction method also looks similar. Still a cool piece though.

Chub

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread